Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I haven't said one thing about anyone's personal taste. Don't like them fine, but what is Marty talking about when he says they aren't 'cinema'? Whatever that means.
I see both sides.

I don't think Marty should have said Cinema...but I get what he was going for.

Marvel has done something never been done before and may never be done again. There's never been any "trash films" for real. Thats incredible.
However, I get Scorsese.

Marvel is so corporate and conditioned in look and feel...that it becomes kinda serialized. The Russos are a lot of people's GOATs. However, their TV background really shows in their films (not saying thats a bad thing). Even the performances seem like something from TV. The cinematography for the most just by the numbers.

Its blurring the line between tv/film. Which is ironic coming from Scorsese since he just did a Netflix deal.

He's not right...but I think what he's getting at isn't "wrong" either.

Times are changing though so :yeshrug:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Taxi Driver >>> Marvel Universe

:mjgrin:

in terms of cinema...

I say that after rewatching taxi driver by chance just last week. There are better storytelling elements. Just all the little things people forget make good stories classic. Marvel movies sacrificed a lot of those elements, imho.
'Better story telling elements'. How subjective is that?!
'Having things people forget' What?!
Make sense please. If the difference is so definitive it should be easily defined.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just a bitter old man yelling at the sky.
Movies are entertainment, when they made the first silent pictures and first talkies, it was about entertainment.
Superhero movies entertain and they aren't any less valued in this medium as any other shyt.

Martin can't make movies the masses want to see, so he attempts to attack the masses and those who make movies that can reach everyone, to justify his own value.
That is the issue with entertainers of all medium, then need audience validation and they hate that, because they want to believe in the lie that they do this for their own enjoyment, which is bullshyt. They do this because they want eyes on them, they want praise, they want/need public validation.
I mean most marvel movies are objectively not as impressive or refined as the type of films he would describe as cinema. Bland dialogue, unoriginal writing, boring character development. But they are fun to watch and most people would probably prefer a marvel film over a cinematic film any day of the week. I wouldnt though.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where the lie at? Marvel on the same level as Fast & Furious and that's perfectly fine. The only reason what he said is an "issue" is because people who've built their identity around summer blockbusters gets their p*ssy hurt over people stating the obvious. So when Scorsese says the MCU is lightwork these weirdos feel personally attacked.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
'Better story telling elements'. How subjective is that?!
'Having things people forget' What?!
Make sense please. If the difference is so definitive it should be easily defined.
It isn’t subjective; the camera work all the way down to elements of cinematography shot style, narration within the film, film scoring to match the tone and mood of the action in the film. There are more elements than that but you could talk all day abojt just those...

just because you don’t know what makes good cinema doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
I haven't said one thing about anyone's personal taste. Don't like them fine, but what is Marty talking about when he says they aren't 'cinema'? Whatever that means.
It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”
They keep bringing characters back.... when thanos snapped his fingers and all those characters died, everybody knew that they were gonna be brought back.
So they didnt feel shyt... I see these movies as fireworks tbh