Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I mean he aint wrong he got his points.
They're pretty shiney but not really that interesting or deep. But theyre also made with a target audience of a 7-15 year old so it's not going to be anything in them that make you really think
Marvel movie are all quadrant films. No one who posts here is of that age range and discussing the franchise is TFR'd favorite part time. They hit all demographics.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Marvel movie are all quadrant films. No one who posts here is of that age range and discussing the franchise is TFR'd favorite part time. They hit all demographics.

Bruh if you dont have any attachment to the comics or characters beforehand you realize they're goofy ass bland stale lookin campy movies that dont diverge from the formula for the most part. :manny:
And you dont think marvel movies are targeting kids?
8tQMkmK.png

Theyre pop culture and thats fine but it goes back to the age old argument of pop culture v fine art. And theyre pop

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Bruh if you dont have any attachment to the comics or characters beforehand you realize they're goofy ass bland stale lookin campy movies that dont diverge from the formula for the most part. :manny:
And you dont think marvel movies are targeting kids?
8tQMkmK.png

Theyre pop culture and thats fine but it goes back to the age old argument of pop culture v fine art. And theyre pop
I disagree, comics were never that popular to now the only adults seeing them and liking them read comics.
Like I said they target everyone. You don't make a half a billion to 2 billion dollars a movie just targeting kids.
What's the difference between pop culture and fine art besides pop culture being liked by more people?

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
I disagree, comics were never that popular to now the only adults seeing them and liking them read comics.
Like I said they target everyone. You don't make a half a billion to 2 billion dollars a movie just targeting kids.
What's the difference between pop culture and fine art besides pop culture being liked by more people?

:heh:
Yeaaah ok. So spiderman, superman, and batman arent lexicons in american culture?

And just because you target children doesnt mean you cant make money. Lion King, Aladdin, whatever disney movie you wanna throw in there target kids but it doesnt mean adults dont see them and shell out money to see them.

And if you dont know the difference between fine art and pop culture then it's no point in getting into this with you. But thats Scorsese's point

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
:heh:
Yeaaah ok. So spiderman, superman, and batman arent lexicons in american culture?

And just because you target children doesnt mean you cant make money. Lion King, Aladdin, whatever disney movie you wanna throw in there target kids but it doesnt mean adults dont see them and shell out money to see them.

And if you dont know the difference between fine art and pop culture then it's no point in getting into this with you. But thats Scorsese's point
People heard of them that means they bought comics, watched cartoons and live action TV Shows about them? No, a lot of people don't eat McDonald's but they definitely heard of it and is part of the 'lexicon in American culture'. Being familiar does not equal consumption.
I saw Lion King earlier this year at night and the audience was overwhelmingly adults. They are a huge part of the target market. Multiple quadrant film making.
See no answer, because there is no difference. 'Fine Art' is just a sheen people put on things they like that aren't that popular. lol I guess that's your last reply to me? :mjgrin:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Marvel stans
tenor.gif

They act like everyone is obligated to like these movies.
Its ok to like these movies and its ok not to like them. Some of these fanboys follow these movies like a cult...Like going to watch endgame 10 times so it can beat avatar
Scorsese has timeless classic... fukk mass appeal

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Marvel stans
tenor.gif

They act like everyone is obligated to like these movies.
Its ok to like these movies and its ok not to like them. Some of these fanboys follow these movies like a cult...Like going to watch endgame 10 times so it can beat avatar
Scorsese has timeless classic... fukk mass appeal
I haven't said one thing about anyone's personal taste. Don't like them fine, but what is Marty talking about when he says they aren't 'cinema'? Whatever that means.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Taxi Driver >>> Marvel Universe

:mjgrin:

in terms of cinema...

I say that after rewatching taxi driver by chance just last week. There are better storytelling elements. Just all the little things people forget make good stories classic. Marvel movies sacrificed a lot of those elements, imho.