Remember when Alex Da Kid tried tanking Nicki’s first single?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Not a good comparison at all. Rick Rubin was very instrumental in the early days at Def Jam and produced some iconic Hip Hop albums. He doesn't ride off on white privilege, he actually did contribute to the culture. Its crazy to me that The Booth stans Alchemist (who is dope), but he doesn't have a Radio or Raisin Hell to his credit and is consistently put in Top 10 lists and some even put him there over Havoc.
perfect comparison. i don't see anyone pulling out any irrelevant 80's Black producers and throwing them in the studio like mascots talking about them being iconic legends when they ain't made a hot beat since 88

that privilege is real. I stan Alchemist and I've said myself I can't stamp him as having a classic album on the level of any certified hip hop classics. For example Alfredo is dope but it isn't constructed in the same way Gibbs and Madlib do albums or with the same level of detail. Alc gets people to exhibit a free stream of consciousness and his songs come off like freestyles for the last decade. he is not constructing a song with a verse and a hook to etc etc, just knocking out beats.

As far as radio and raising hell etc. I don't rate them that high breh sorry. All of Rubins hip hop shyt sounded the same. For a man who moved on mentally from the genre eons ago he is held in a high regard compared to many Black legendary producers who did it much longer and better. But production is a position in music where your recent work counts and matters, your ability to turn out dope music. Rubin struggled he couldn't even get beats for Jay during the Black album he had to sell him unreleased vaulted shyt... 99 problems a song intended for ice T that was probably 10 years old at the time.

Y'all can juelz for that man if ya want out of nostalgia or whatever but he is mos def the most overhyped fixture in the culture. If Rubin is a legend then nikkaz like Easy Mo, Bomb Squad etc are gods. Pay them to do yoga in studios and not produce one record as well. fukk that... let's pretend they would get the same hype from the media... dat privilege:pachaha:

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
perfect comparison. i don't see anyone pulling out any irrelevant 80's Black producers and throwing them in the studio like mascots talking about them being iconic legends when they ain't made a hot beat since 88

that privilege is real. I stan Alchemist and I've said myself I can't stamp him as having a classic album on the level of any certified hip hop classics. For example Alfredo is dope but it isn't constructed in the same way Gibbs and Madlib do albums or with the same level of detail. Alc gets people to exhibit a free stream of consciousness and his songs come off like freestyles for the last decade. he is not constructing a song with a verse and a hook to etc etc, just knocking out beats.

As far as radio and raising hell etc. I don't rate them that high breh sorry. All of Rubins hip hop shyt sounded the same. For a man who moved on mentally from the genre eons ago he is held in a high regard compared to many Black legendary producers who did it much longer and better. But production is a position in music where your recent work counts and matters, your ability to turn out dope music. Rubin struggled he couldn't even get beats for Jay during the Black album he had to sell him unreleased vaulted shyt... 99 problems a song intended for ice T that was probably 10 years old at the time.

Y'all can juelz for that man if ya want out of nostalgia or whatever but he is mos def the most overhyped fixture in the culture. If Rubin is a legend then nikkaz like Easy Mo, Bomb Squad etc are gods. Pay them to do yoga in studios and not produce one record as well. fukk that... let's pretend they would get the same hype from the media... dat privilege:pachaha:

I agree with damn near everything you said, but Radio, Raising Hell, and Licensed to Ill are all classics. He's not the only one who deserves credit for those albums being good (Radio had LL's charisma and Run-D.M.C. was reaching their peak with or without Rick), but that hard sound was definitely important in making hip hop stand out at the time.

The only problem is, he never evolved past that and he's still trying to recreate 1986 with everything he makes. :mjlol:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

So your issue is Rick Rubin laying on a couch listening to music.It had NOTHING to do with him making hot beats. This dude has iconic beats. Timbaland is my favorite producer and he incorporated "Peter Piper" into "Work It" nearly two decades after "Peter Piper" impacted. Rick Rubin was there because Jay obviously values his opinion and seems to have developed a friendship with him.

Is Rubin living off of a legacy, yes, but there are a lot of producers from his era that do because they put in the work even if they haven't had a "hot" beat in two decades.

It has NOTHING to do with privilege and everything to do with legacy.

Puff is a producer who has been in sessions with artists without producing a track, but was there for motivation, energy, advice or whatever he got invited to the session for. He was there because of his track record and legacy.

And last, there are vastly more overrated figures in Hip Hop culture than Rick Rubin. Dude is the co-founder of Def Jam with Russell Simmons.

Last edited:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
So your issue is Rick Rubin laying on a couch listening to music.It had NOTHING to do with him making hot beats. This dude has iconic beats. Timbaland is my favorite producer and he incorporated "Peter Piper" into "Work It" nearly two decades after "Peter Piper" impacted. Rick Rubin was there because Jay obviously values his opinion and seems to have developed a friendship with him.

Is Rubin living off of a legacy, yes, but there are a lot of producers from his era that do because they put in the work even if they haven't had a "hot" beat in two decades.

It has NOTHING to do with privilege and everything to do with legacy.

Puff is a producer who has been in sessions with artists without producing a track, but was there for motivation, energy, advice or whatever he got invited to the session for. He was there because of his track record and legacy.

And last, there are vastly more overrated figures in Hip Hop culture than Rick Rubin. Dude is the co-founder of Def Jam with Russell Simmons.
I broke it down in detail twice. cut the bullshyt. It's about the beats and you can reread my posts instead of dismissing them to tell me what I said...

show me another 80's producer who just get to walk around the studio looking homeless getting accolades while doing no actual work because he made some hot beats in the 80's

just name a handful... go

:popcorn:

:duck: @ the bolded

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I broke it down in detail twice. cut the bullshyt.

show me another 80's producer who just get to walk around the studio looking homeless getting accolades while doing no actual work because he made some hot beats in the 80's

just name a handful... go

:popcorn:

:duck: @ the bolded

Breh, you broke down nothing. Rick Rubin is also in several clips of Fade To Black. You won't find another 80's producer in a commercial for a big album like that because he was there because Jay Z wanted him there. You really bent outta shape because dude was at a studio session?

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I agree with damn near everything you said, but Radio, Raising Hell, and Licensed to Ill are all classics. He's not the only one who deserves credit for those albums being good (Radio had LL's charisma and Run-D.M.C. was reaching their peak with or without Rick), but that hard sound was definitely important in making hip hop stand out at the time.

The only problem is, he never evolved past that and he's still trying to recreate 1986 with everything he makes. :mjlol:
I'm not trying to discredit his past achievement but he is indeed still living off of them...
And if he was Black he would be called irrelevant, washed up and forgotten for exactly the bolded but instead he is touring the biggest studios getting on the biggest projects while continuously showing that he is beyond washed in rap. THAT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IS WHAT PRIVILEGE IS.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Breh, you broke down nothing. Rick Rubin is also in several clips of Fade To Black. You won't find another 80's producer in a commercial for a big album like that because he was there because Jay Z wanted him there. You really bent outta shape because dude was at a studio session?
he was there 2 make beats because Jay had an allstar list of producers wish listed for his "retirement" album

he couldn't make anything hot for jay so they sold him an over a decade old vaulted song with a hook from Ice T.

you not helping your case... any other producer would have been dismissed. 9th had to make a beat from scratch so did Quik. Rick couldn't make anything and they were in the studio for days. :laff: