Remember when Alex Da Kid tried tanking Nicki’s first single?

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Alex Da Kid might be the worst thing to happen in Hip Hop over the past few years. Wack ass rock pop production. Glad he’s not poppin anymore.
It's funny. He produces Imagine Dragons. Their music is just his corny pop rap shyt fronted by a band

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
It's funny. He produces Imagine Dragons. Their music is just his corny pop rap shyt fronted by a band

That’s his entire sound, I don’t know any of his Imagine Dragons stuff but the beats he made for rappers makes me know he’s trash. It’s crazy how much that were pumping his sound to the masses and now he’s not even talked about anymore. His sound needs to stay in the past, nobody will miss it.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Not a good comparison at all. Rick Rubin was very instrumental in the early days at Def Jam and produced some iconic Hip Hop albums. He doesn't ride off on white privilege, he actually did contribute to the culture. Its crazy to me that The Booth stans Alchemist (who is dope), but he doesn't have a Radio or Raisin Hell to his credit and is consistently put in Top 10 lists and some even put him there over Havoc.

Alchemist shyts all over Rick Rubin, not even close.

Last edited:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
I forgot who it was, but I remember a poster on here tried to hype this beat up saying it was dope.

:russ: :mjlol:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Rick's work for Eminem may be garbage and "99 Problems" is overrated, but Rick Rubin is a legendary Hip Hop producer.

Alex Da Kid has contributed nothing, but "Airplanes" pt. 1 and 2 were dope and that's probably the only songs he produced that I like.
Another follow up to this

DMC said Rick doesn't make anything just provide ideas in his Drink Champs interview. He never touched nothing on walk this way. They were already doing shyt like rockbox before him. Rick Rubin gets paid to brain storm literally.

"

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Another follow up to this

DMC said Rick doesn't make anything just provide ideas in his Drink Champs interview. He never touched nothing on walk this way. They were already doing shyt like rockbox before him. Rick Rubin gets paid to brain storm literally.

"

Rick seems like someone whose actual skill lies in being a consultant. He's someone that can give you really good advice, but he's not someone that can give you a hot beat. Like when he told Adele that the songs she was working on for 25 sounded like songs anybody could make and they weren't personal enough. Or when he advised Kanye to strip down Yeezus, or when he told Paul Rosenberg that he shouldn't worry about Eminem having hit records when they were trying to put together MMLP2.

I get why artists go to him for that because he seems like a really good consigliere. In terms of making music himself, he peaked almost forty years ago.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Rick seems like someone whose actual skill lies in being a consultant. He's someone that can give you really good advice, but he's not someone that can give you a hot beat. Like when he told Adele that the songs she was working on for 25 sounded like songs anybody could make and they weren't personal enough. Or when he advised Kanye to strip down Yeezus, or when he told Paul Rosenberg that he shouldn't worry about Eminem having hit records when they were trying to put together MMLP2.

I get why artists go to him for that because he seems like a really good consigliere. In terms of making music himself, he peaked almost forty years ago.
That's all good and all so he should be called the greatest consultant in rap. When he enters the greatest producer discussions it's an absolute afront to skilled producers

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
That's all good and all so he should be called the greatest consultant in rap. When he enters the greatest producer discussions it's an absolute afront to skilled producers

I agree with you in terms of making actual music. Rick hasn't had anything to contribute for decades now when it comes to that.

I was shocked when I found out DJ Premier didn't produce the original version of "Classic," Rick did. And when I did hear the original version, it made me want to start drinking. :hhh:

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Listening to this, I'm surprised its Alex The Kid, def doesn't sound like anything else he did. Its like a Busta Rhymes reject. In a way this is surprisingly experimental for Nicki's first official single, but it was also a swing and a miss. That thing that Nicki, Drake, Big Sean etc would do back then where they'd say a line, then summarize it with a word (runnin thru the jungle - rambo!) is trash too.

Apparently Alex released a jazz album a few years ago. I'm not curious about what it sounds like.