• Kanye West- Donda

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Tyler, The Creator- Call Me If You Get Lost

Votes: 35 40.2%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Alright Coli brehs. Another year, another annual Hip Hop Grammys thread.

While the relationship between the Grammys and Hip Hop has been...contentious to say the least; this year marks a notably antagonistic rift between music's biggest awards show and the genre that has dominated mainstream music in both sales, streams, and pop culture for going on a decade. Of course the vitriol started almost immediately following the announcement of nominees. Two weeks after the nominations were released, Pop superstar Drake; who infamously blasted the ceremony in 2021 in defense of fellow Canadian star The Weeknd's lack of nominations, requested that his two nominations (Best Rap Album for "Certified Lover Boy" and Best Rap Performance for "2 Sexy") be rescinded. This in itself should have come as a major warning to the Academy, as Drake's Certified Lover Boy, though a critical dud, was the highest selling rap album of the year, and Drake remains a huge force within the industry. Having him attend or perform would have been a huge boon to a ceremony which has been bleeding viewership in the past three subsequent years.
But nothing, not even Drake, could compare to the lightening of controversy that would soon sweep over the upcoming ceremony. In the form of the singular artist formerly known as Kanye West and now going by a new moniker;

Ye.

Ye was, by all accounts scheduled to perform at this year's ceremony. Having returned to the forefront of pop culture with the August 29th release of his tenth studio effort, Donda; Ye and the Grammys have shared a tense relationship over the 18 years that Ye has been an artist. Ye's relationship with the Grammys began on a positive note when, in 2005 he was awarded his first Gramophone.

Unfortunately the love affair didn't last, as Ye has blasted the Grammys in years past, for racism, prejudice, and category exclusion, even going so far as to, in September of 2020, share a video of himself on Twitter pissing on one of his 22 Grammy awards. Despite this, Ye is nominated for five awards at the upcoming ceremony, including Album Of The Year, an award a Hip Hop artist has shockingly not won in the EIGHTEEN YEARS (Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below was the last rap album to win AOTY

This past weekend, it was announced that due to online harassment and threats that Ye has made against returning Grammy's host Trevor Noah, that Ye will not be allowed to perform at the ceremony (He hasn't performed at the ceremony since 2015) igniting a firestorm of anger from Rap industry titans such as J. Prince, Diddy, Damon Dash and Rihanna. There have been calls to boycott. There have been calls to hold a competing concert on the date and time of the Grammy ceremony. There have been calls for the creation of a newer, hipper, more inclusive, forward thinking awards ceremony.

And yet, the show goes on.

The 64th Annual Grammy Awards will be held Sunday, April 3rd, in Las Vegas at 8pm. The ceremony will be broadcast live on CBS. Rap performances will include legend, last year's Best Rap Album winner, and two time current nominee Nas (nominated for Best Rap Album for King's Disease 2 and Best Rap Song for his feature on DMX's 'Bath Salts', also featuring Jay-Z) Doja Cat, nominated for Album Of Year, is also slated to perform.

The following is the full list of General Category nominees as well as Rap Genre Nominees.

Record of the Year
"I Still Have Faith In You," ABBA
"Freedom," Jon Batiste
"I Get A Kick Out Of You," Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga
"Peaches," Justin Bieber Featuring Daniel Caesar & Giveon
"Right On Time," Brandi Carlile
"Kiss Me More," Doja Cat Featuring SZA
"Happier Than Ever," Billie Eilish
"Montero" (Call Me By Your Name), Lil Nas X
"drivers license," Olivia Rodrigo
"Leave The Door Open," Silk Sonic

Song of the Year

"Bad Habits," Ed Sheeran
"A Beautiful Noise," Alicia Keys Featuring Brandi Carlile
"Fight For You," H.E.R.
"Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," Lil Nas X

Album of the Year

"We Are," Jon Batiste
"Love For Sale," Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga
"Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe)," Justin Bieber
"Planet Her (Deluxe)," Doja Cat
"Back Of My Mind," H.E.R.
"Montero," Lil Nas X
"Sour," Olivia Rodrigo
"Evermore," Taylor Swift
"Donda," Kanye West

Best New Artist

Arooj Aftab
Jimmie Allen
Baby Keem
FINNEAS
Glass Animals
Japanese Breakfast
The Kid Laroi
Arlo Parks
Olivia Rodrigo
Saweetie

Best Rap Performance
Baby Keem Featuring Kendrick Lamar - Family Ties
Cardi B - Up
J. Cole Featuring 21 Savage & Morray – My Life
Drake, Featuring Future & Young Thug - Way Too Sexy
Megan Thee Stallion - Thot shyt

Best Melodic Rap Performance
J. Cole Featuring Lil Baby - Pride Is the Devil
Doja Cat - Need to Know
Lil Nas X Featuring Jack Harlow - Industry Baby
Tyler, the Creator Featuring YoungBoy Never Broke Again, Ty Dolla $ign - WusYaName
Kanye West Featuring the Weeknd & Lil Baby - Hurricane

Best Rap Song
DMX Featuring Jay-Z & Nas - Bath Salts
Saweetie Featuring Doja Cat - Best Friend
Kanye West Featuring Jay-Z - Jail

Best Rap Album
J. Cole - The Off-Season
Drake - Certified Lover Boy
Nas - King’s Disease II
Tyler, the Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
Kanye West - Donda

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
BET predicts Bath Salts for Best Rap Song and CMIYGL for Best Rap Album

Prediction: “Bath Salts” - DMX ft. Jay-Z & Nas

We lost a legend too early, yet we were very happy to see him receive those flowers when he went head-to-head with Snoop Dogg for their Verzuz battle. “Bath Salts” is a star-studded collaboration track that reminded many that true hip hop still exists. And while this isn’t DMX’s first nomination, this would mark the first-ever Grammy Award for the late rapper, if, indeed, he is announced as the winner on Jan. 31. DMX was loved by so many and this would definitely be a beautiful way to honor his legacy.

Prediction: Tyler, the Creator

This may seem random to a few, but we foresee Tyler, the Creator taking home the win. Over the past few years, mainstream folks have discovered how great and lyrical the former Odd Future artist really is. With mainstream support and appearances (BET Awards, BET Hip Hop Awards), as well as getting co-signed by legendary hip hop acts like LL Cool J, doors have opened up in ways that enable other audiences to appreciate and discover Tyler’s musical efforts. This has been Tyler’s year and the success train will continue with him walking away with his second Grammy.

My5

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
Let's see, typical Grammy's to keep their system/agendas going would be something like (not what I'd go with of course):

Record of the Year
"I Still Have Faith In You," ABBA
"Freedom," Jon Batiste
"I Get A Kick Out Of You," Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga
"Right On Time," Brandi Carlile (hardest to guess because this year is stacked with their usual "favorites" and agendas. Chose random.)
"Montero" (Call Me By Your Name), Lil Nas X

Song of the Year
"Bad Habits," Ed Sheeran
"A Beautiful Noise," Alicia Keys Featuring Brandi Carlile
"Fight For You," H.E.R.
"Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," Lil Nas X

Album of the Year
"We Are," Jon Batiste
"Love For Sale," Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga
"Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe)," Justin Bieber
"Planet Her (Deluxe)," Doja Cat
"Back Of My Mind," H.E.R.
"Montero," Lil Nas X
"Sour," Olivia Rodrigo
"Evermore," Taylor Swift
"Donda," Kanye West

Best New Artist
Arooj Aftab
Jimmie Allen
Baby Keem
FINNEAS
Glass Animals
Japanese Breakfast
The Kid Laroi
Arlo Parks
Olivia Rodrigo
Saweetie

Best Rap Performance

Cardi B - Up
Drake, Featuring Future & Young Thug - Way Too Sexy
Megan Thee Stallion - Thot shyt

J. Cole Featuring Lil Baby - Pride Is the Devil
Doja Cat - Need to Know
Tyler, the Creator Featuring YoungBoy Never Broke Again, Ty Dolla $ign - WusYaName
Kanye West Featuring the Weeknd & Lil Baby - Hurricane

Best Rap Song
DMX Featuring Jay-Z & Nas - Bath Salts
Saweetie Featuring Doja Cat - Best Friend
Kanye West Featuring Jay-Z - Jail

Best Rap Album
J. Cole - The Off-Season

Drake - Certified Lover Boy
Nas - King’s Disease II
Kanye West - Donda

I haven't heard all these songs/albums so I don't know, just going by what I think the typical Grammy's formula is for their winners.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Record of the Year

Weak field to be honest. I'd vote for Silk Sonic. My guess is they'll go with Billie Eilish cuz they love giving her Grammys. Some will complain that drivers license shoulda got iot though.

Song of the Year

Again, I'd vote for Silk Sonic. This one I think they'll give to Olivia Rodrigo and split it down the middle. That record was too big to get left off, but hey, the Grammys don't care about that. H.E.R. is another one who they love giving awards to, but the Grammys are gonna look really bad if they only care to give Grammys to the same 3-4 artists.

Album of the Year

"Evermore," Taylor Swift

I'd vote for DONDA by default. This is a Taylor Swift award and it's padding stats at this point.

Best New Artist

Olivia Rodrigo

I'd vote for Baby Keem, and while I think FINNEAS could low key take this in an upset, this is the prohibitive favorite here.

Best Rap Performance

As much as I like My Life and wouldn't mind seeing J. Cole /21 win another Grammy together, this song made waves. Can't forget that Kendrick is a Grammy darling too.

I'd vote for J. Cole and Lil Baby here, but this is where Lil Nas X will get his shine.

Best Rap Song

I'd vote J. Cole /21 Savage /Morray here, but this is the toughest one to judge because everyone has a legit case for it. Hov sucked on both tracks, so no for DMX or Kanye. I'll give J. Cole the edge here because critics love his pen.

Best Rap Album

and personally the albums closest to this were not nominated, so this to me is the default choice.

Also,

Lil Baby could win for Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song with Kirk Franklin and Just Blaze for "We Win"

if WizKid doesn't win for Essence, burn the place down.

and let's see if Hit-Boy wins Producer of the Year.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Yoo, wtf happened to her? She looks like 48 year old grandma still trying to be a thot. She was bad AF when she came out, sad that she let fame and surgery degrade her looks

da9d97e5a037aeb2bf829eafc0a6a299

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
LA Times says that Nas deserves his nominations as recompense for being snubbed early in his career, but that Tyler will win Best Rap Album

Tyler’s LP is nominated in the rap album category, which doesn’t feel quite as off the mark this year as it has in the past. He’s up against Kanye, J. Cole and last year’s winner, Nas. Drake was in there too, until he requested his nomination be withdrawn, presumably as a protest against the Grammys’ fraught handling of hip-hop.
Kimble: Nas with the late-career surge because they didn’t give him his Grammys 25 years ago. These nominations are fine. Tyler’s gonna win, and he should.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...o-tony-bennett-lady-gaga-kanye-west?_amp=true

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Billboard gives the edge to Tyler

Best rap album
Nominees: J. Cole’s The Off-Season, Nas’ King’s Disease II, Tyler, the Creator’s Call Me If You Get Lost, Kanye West’s DONDA.

Analysis: There are only four nominees because Drake declined his nomination for Certified Lover Boy. Three of the nominees here are past winners in this category. West has won here four times, but not in a decade. Nas won last year for the initial King’s Disease album. Tyler, the Creator won two years ago for Igor. Call Me If You Get Lost won album of the year at the BET Hip-Hop Awards in October. The Academy’s new “3-10” rule, which holds that voters can vote in no more than 10 categories spread across no more than three fields (outside of the Big Four categories) may help Tyler, the Creator’s chances. If only core rap fans vote here, Tyler, the Creator may have a better chance of beating the more famous West.

Prediction: Tyler, the Creator

2022 Grammy Predictions: Just How Big Will Olivia Rodrigo’s Big Night Be?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Uproxx says Kanye will win Best Rap Album but Tyler DESERVES to win

Best Rap Album
J. Cole — The Off-Season

Drake — Certified Lover Boy

Nas — King’s Disease II

Tyler, the Creator — Call Me If You Get Lost

Kanye West — Donda

Who will win: Kanye West — Donda

Who should win: Tyler The Creator — Call Me If You Get Lost

This year’s Best Rap Album category is filled with well-established artists. Both Kanye West’s Donda and Drake’s Certified Lover Boy dominated news cycles after being postponed and ended up getting released within days of each other. Kanye’s Donda is also nominated for Album Of The Year, and seeing as the rapper already holds 22 wins and 75 nominations throughout his career, it’s likely the Recording Academy will give him the Best Rap Album award. However, Tyler The Creator’s Call Me If You Get Lost is the one that deserves to take home the trophy. The album shows off Tyler’s impeccable MC skills and his alter ego, Tyler Baudelaire, feels like his most genuine thus far. The LP addresses important contemporary topics and sees Tyler showing off some new techniques, resulting in a top-level album as a whole.

Who Will Win And Who Should Win At The 2022 Grammys