Religion/Spirituality What Are the Benefits of Atheism?

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
eat what you want, don't have to go church/mosque/temple, no pressure to get married or to not get divorced, don't have to pay tithes, you can accept science/medicine without any religious hang-ups, not living your life based on how your local religious authority interprets a holy book, freedom from general religious dogma, bigger dikk/t*ts, place more importance on humanity and reality rather than the divine, abstract, unseen man in the sky and you can live life for the "now" rather than what's to come in the afterlife, etc.

but it's a stupid question to begin with.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Point is, just because someone does something doesn't mean it's ordained by their particular religion.

Okay, but I was talking about a specific instance in which a particular group believed their religion DID ordain that act. Keep in mind, your original statement was that no religion teaches members to kill nonbelievers. That's simply not true -- most sane people just choose to ignore those bits of their particular faith. Just because Hitler was motivated by economics & racism rather than religious faith has nothing to do with it.

Not every killing is a murder. Sometimes killing is carried out to administer justice or in self defense. You know what a murder is. :comeon:

Well no, I don't know your definition of murder ... to you "thou shall not kill" somehow translates to "don't murder unless they deserve it".

So it's okay to kill if you're administering justice. Would you agree that Christian theology teaches everyone is guilty of sin?

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
I do know that if you ask and choose to believe you will get an answer.

Choose to believe? That concept doesn't compute to me. It seems like you're saying if you make yourself believe you hear God, you will hear God. It doesn't seem like an objective way to look at it, and I just happen to be of the mind that I rather believe what's true than to randomly select a belief. Oh well, to each his own, good talking with you.

Superstar
Daps
The bottom line is that with atheism, you can keep all of the benefits of religiosity without any of the downsides.

People who are religious will tell you that without religion in your life, everything is relative. That's fukking bullshyt. Even if there is a relativism of means, there is never a relativism of ends. People want the same exact shyt -- safety, food, acknowledgement, diversion, etc. We as a race will find what means work best eventually for all of us, through trial, error, and yes, combat.

But if you're religious, you lock yourself into the idea that there is only one true means of salvation -- one book, one truth, one prophet, one set of rules that tell you what you can do or not do. You accept that we all want the same shyt, but that THIS is the only possible way to achieve it. Like boom, it's over, THIS is the revelation for all motherfukking time. Moreover, you accept that revelation on the basis of NOTHING besides blind faith. There is no objective way to verify the existence of god until you die, at which point you leave this plane of reality. In other words, there are no observable phenomenon in this life to show you god exists.

So essentially, you're just pigeon-holing yourself in terms of what means you can use to achieve humanity's generally similar ends, as if history ended the moment your holy book came out.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

:manny:

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The prison rate for atheists is much, much lower than those who are religious, so that argument is not a good one.

Atheism Rare Among Prison Population

of course you can pull prison numbers. but i wonder how many big wigs on wall street are atheist? since they almost never go to jail after robbing folks. Just because the jail numbers only really show super crazy criminals, or poor people in bad neighbors fighting over scraps. doesnt mean there are no atheist at the top robbing us all blind.

truth is, most people who claim atheist do so because they think/believe they dont NEED GOD ( a saviour, help, assistance, strength, wisdom, a guide in life).

why dont you need him? because you have money, you have intelligence. what do you NEED a God for if you have all of that? thats why most atheist have that issue with GOD.

But that was already written.

Matthew 13:22 What was sown among the thorns, this is he who hears the word, but the cares of this age and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)

Mark 4:19 and the cares of this age, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV)

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus looked at him and loved him, and said, "One thing is lacking in you: go, sell all you possess and give the proceeds to the poor, and you shall have riches in Heaven; and come and be a follower of mine." (WEY)

Mark 10:23 Jesus looked around, and said to his disciples, "How difficult it is for those who have riches to enter into the Kingdom of God!" (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT RSV)

Mark 10:24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus answered again, "Children, how hard is it for those who trust in riches to enter into the Kingdom of God! (WEB KJV WEY ASV DBY WBS YLT)

Luke 8:14 That which fell among the thorns, these are those who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. (WEB KJV ASV DBY WBS YLT NAS RSV NIV)

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The bottom line is that with atheism, you can keep all of the benefits of religiosity without any of the downsides.

People who are religious will tell you that without religion in your life, everything is relative. That's fukking bullshyt. Even if there is a relativism of means, there is never a relativism of ends. People want the same exact shyt -- safety, food, acknowledgement, diversion, etc. We as a race will find what means work best eventually for all of us, through trial, error, and yes, combat.

But if you're religious, you lock yourself into the idea that there is only one true means of salvation -- one book, one truth, one prophet, one set of rules that tell you what you can do or not do. You accept that we all want the same shyt, but that THIS is the only possible way to achieve it. Like boom, it's over, THIS is the revelation for all motherfukking time. Moreover, you accept that revelation on the basis of NOTHING besides blind faith. There is no objective way to verify the existence of god until you die, at which point you leave this plane of reality. In other words, there are no observable phenomenon in this life to show you god exists.

So essentially, you're just pigeon-holing yourself in terms of what means you can use to achieve humanity's generally similar ends, as if history ended the moment your holy book came out.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

:manny:
complete non sense on all accounts.

lets start with the later..

you say there is no observable phenomenon in this life to show you God exists?

sure there is.
YOU.. alive, breathing, eating, walking, talking, hearing, feeling, tasting, smelling, etc. the earth here, supporting life as we know it. the sun just hanging there, heating up earth not to much, not to little, jusssst about right. for a soup called human's and animals. as well as other life forms.

you are a walking phenomenon. the earth is a spinning phenomenon. space is an expanding phenomenon.
Who on earth created these things? NO ONE .... on EARTH created these things. but these things were created.

unless you want to live with the blind faith..that they came about randomly.

thats your choice. but dont fool yourself into believing you too are not a person of faith. you are.just not the right kind.

all of your favorite scientist from back in the day had serious faith in their equations. they themselves could not even truthfully test all of those things. they were just THEORIES, IDEAS based on a few other things they've been able to observe. but not the entire thing. but with our tools and with their previous info. we can actually test that stuff out and say "WOW that fool EINSTEIN was right." how did he know? he didnt KNOW for SURE. he had FAITH in the unseen.

you said
the truth is we are all pigeon held to some degree. you nor i know anything new that hasnt been known already as far as the basic understanding of how to live life. "there's nothing new under the sun." The Bible is there with all the basic, simple info in there on how one should live their life to the fullest. not live their life to have the most fun, or be the most happy(only smiley when something is happ..ening now). but to live life and get the most JOY out of it. there's a difference between that and happiness.

an atheist like yourself just rather bump their head on something that was stated to you in the good book. dont do this, but do that. do this, but dont do that. if you do enough of this, you wont have time to that. but no we wont listen. because we want to BELIEVE. that we can come up with a NEW WAY. lol at that one. there's nothing NEW under the sun. Follow that book, have more joy out of life. dont bump your head so much because you refuse to ride with that book and you want to go off on your own. do not compare what i'm saying to some christians you know or have seen. christians are people who have been saved. thats it. they are not all at the same place in their spiritual walk. not even close. some that have been christians since their kid years, are still just babes in christ so to speak. so what you see out of them is not maturity. some others just got in a few years ago. but they are 10 times more mature then the ones that have been down for much longer.

this is a reality that you have to understand when comparing and contrasting.

you go out there and find me 10 very very mature christians(men/women). then you go find me 10 very very mature atheist. I promise you, the 10 Christians will have more JOY and more peace in their lives. then the 10 atheist. but you will never see that kind of comparison. the only thing you see, is babe christian acting a fool vs mature atheist.

Superstar
Daps
complete non sense on all accounts.

lets start with the later..

you say there is no observable phenomenon in this life to show you God exists?

sure there is.
YOU.. alive, breathing, eating, walking, talking, hearing, feeling, tasting, smelling, etc. the earth here, supporting life as we know it. the sun just hanging there, heating up earth not to much, not to little, jusssst about right. for a soup called human's and animals. as well as other life forms.

...and that proves God exists how?

You're riding on that Bill O'Reilly nonsense wagon right now.

"Tide goes in, tide goes out, can't explain that." :usure:

you are a walking phenomenon. the earth is a spinning phenomenon. space is an expanding phenomenon.
Who on earth created these things? NO ONE .... on EARTH created these things. but these things were created.

...and that proves god exists, how?

unless you want to live with the blind faith..that they came about randomly.

No one is living with "blind faith" that they were created randomly. People who believe in the big bang don't do it on blind faith. We do it on the basis of how well it fits in with existing cosmological models. If we find something that will drastically alter its conformity, then the theory will change. Simple as that.

All you're doing is falling back on the same old medieval argument. "I don't know, therefore Jesus."

This sentence pretty much tells everyone everything they need to know about you:

an atheist like yourself just rather bump their head on something that was stated to you in the good book. dont do this, but do that. do this, but dont do that. if you do enough of this, you wont have time to that. but no we wont listen. because we want to BELIEVE. that we can come up with a NEW WAY. lol at that one. there's nothing NEW under the sun. Follow that book, have more joy out of life.

Yep. pretty much falls right into the whole pidgeonholing thing. "Why question these things? We already know everything we need to know. Forever."

Who the cares if Galileo believed in God? Maybe he did. But he certainly didn't let God get in the way of discovering an objective scientific truth.

But you know what his Galileo's detractors said to him? Same shyt you're saying to me right now.

"We already know. It was already given to us. Why are you questioning this?"

Galileo would :pacspit: at you if he were alive.

you go out there and find me 10 very very mature christians(men/women). then you go find me 10 very very mature atheist. I promise you, the 10 Christians will have more JOY and more peace in their lives. then the 10 atheist. but you will never see that kind of comparison. the only thing you see, is babe christian acting a fool vs mature atheist.

"Christians seem happier to me, therefore Jesus."

:snoop:

Zapp Brannigan

Captain of the Nimbus
Daps
Reppin
DOOP
of course you can pull prison numbers. but i wonder how many big wigs on wall street are atheist? since they almost never go to jail after robbing folks. Just because the jail numbers only really show super crazy criminals, or poor people in bad neighbors fighting over scraps. doesnt mean there are no atheist at the top robbing us all blind.

truth is, most people who claim atheist do so because they think/believe they dont NEED GOD ( a saviour, help, assistance, strength, wisdom, a guide in life).

why dont you need him? because you have money, you have intelligence. what do you NEED a God for if you have all of that? thats why most atheist have that issue with GOD.

But that was already written.

God doesn't help ANY of that. It's like smoking heroin to feel good, when you should really be out doing good for yourself.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The question is hard to answer and presumes some objective benefits to a belief system, when actually those benefits depend on complex interactions with people, who are diverse. Atheism will only benefit you relative to specific kinds of theism a person may or may not hold and how that system interacted with their lives.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

You are completely clueless about what atheism actually is. It has nothing to do with not needing a god. Its about with rationalizing the theist idea of a god and believing it doesn't make sense. One does not decide to claim atheist, they simply are.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps

False. There are no poor, uneducated atheists? Well, I'll give you that ... most non-believers do tend to have some form of higher education.

Also, you misquoted Hunsecker. He said there is no objective way to prove God. That's key. Just earlier I was talking to Brown_Pride, and he said something akin to "If you choose to believe, and you pray, God will answer". To me, that screams you have to bias yourself to already accepting the god claim before you can accept God exists ... which is kind of circular. If you look at the existence of God objectively, and don't find good evidence for it's existence, then what reason would you have to believe? The existence of the universe isn't objective proof of God, as we know it could have come about by completely natural means (ie without supernatural guidance). I know that seems impossible to you since you've already biased your mind towards the god hypothesis, but it's not. Statistically unlikely does not equal impossible, as I think I've demonstrated with my poker example.