Young Guru on the Combat Jack Show - 3 Hours!

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I've just accepted CJS is a New York centric Hiphop podcast. Just how it is. It's going to be the thing to hold him back but it doesn't seem like he cares about other markets. Even when Boosie was on there it didn't seem like he tries to connect with him to the point of bumping his music. People from the West and South need to start their own podcast.

Snoop and B-Real are the two on the west that are doing the interview shyt but it's not a podcast. The funny thing is all they have to do is put the audio of those videos for download and watch the sponsors come knocking.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I've just accepted CJS is a New York centric Hiphop podcast. Just how it is. It's going to be the thing to hold him back but it doesn't seem like he cares about other markets. Even when Boosie was on there it didn't seem like he tries to connect with him to the point of bumping his music. People from the West and South need to start their own podcast.

Snoop and B-Real are the two on the west that are doing the interview shyt but it's not a podcast. The funny thing is all they have to do is put the audio of those videos for download and watch the sponsors come knocking.
How would you propose that he deals with his lack of West Coast artists?
Fly them out for 2 hour interviews?

I think he does an alright job with the south i mentioned about 10 probably forgot about 5, how many rappers has he interviewed? Like 50, that's nearly ⅓. Which artists would you want from the south?

Seeing how it's a lot of focus on history, I don't know too much southern history that would be interesting to the average hiphop fan.
For a long period hiphop was New York and certain crews in other spots, which is why it wouldn't really make sense to interview some random local rapper from Alabama. No one would know what the fukk he was talking bout, no references or anything. Except a few Alabama cats. Cali is another thing though, old Cali cats are probably never in NY for extended periods.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
He's had southern emcees there btw, Scarface, J. Cole, Big Boi, Gunplay, Boosie, Jeezy, Ross, Bun B as far as I can remember

We can't forget the fact that the guest should not be completely unknown to shows fanbase, when a semi-known rapper like Little Shawn goes through his shyt all his references are known to the most of us.
And the ones u listed, only the bolded weren't complete ass. And I'd believe you on the guest not being complete unknowns but if you have guests like Lloyd Price, Jamilah Lemieux, or Ryan. Leslie (who isn't unknown but NO ONE gives a fukk about) who the avg fans has no idea of these peoples existence, then miss me with they have to have some notoriety.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
How would you propose that he deals with his lack of West Coast artists?
Fly them out for 2 hour interviews?

I think he does an alright job with the south i mentioned about 10 probably forgot about 5, how many rappers has he interviewed? Like 50, that's nearly ⅓. Which artists would you want from the south?

Seeing how it's a lot of focus on history, I don't know too much southern history that would be interesting to the average hiphop fan.
For a long period hiphop was New York and certain crews in other spots, which is why it wouldn't really make sense to interview some random local rapper from Alabama. No one would know what the fukk he was talking bout, no references or anything. Except a few Alabama cats. Cali is another thing though, old Cali cats are probably never in NY for extended periods.
That's what I'm trying to say he's not serious about the podcast shyt. He's got his little zone and just wants to build off that. There's a shyt load of rappers all from Atlanta mainstream and underground. Plus Houston and Florida. Why'd you go Alabama? Also when he talks about west coast and south he has this tone as if he doesn't respect them. It's ok thats who he is. If he really cared about having THE hip hop podcast he'd fly out to LA or down south and spend a week banking podcast. That's what I meant when I said he's confortable in his little zone.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Nonchalant? Really? Wow
Yep. Crazy. He was there with Rhapsody, guess he's working with her now.

He actually bigged up De La Soul and MF Doom more than anyone. He said De La Soul is his favorite group ever and Doom is in his top 5.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
And the ones u listed, only the bolded weren't complete ass. And I'd believe you on the guest not being complete unknowns but if you have guests like Lloyd Price, Jamilah Lemieux, or Ryan. Leslie (who isn't unknown but NO ONE gives a fukk about) who the avg fans has no idea of these peoples existence, then miss me with they have to have some notoriety.
I was talking about rappers, of course journalists or people like Lloyd Price who is music/black history, might not be known. (They are from the Midwest and south respectively by the way). Ryan Leslie is known, I've not claimed anything else. I'm not saying that he only invites Jay-z and Di Caprio. I said that listeners usually want to hear "barbershop talk" from people they at least somewhat know of, stories from which they recognize names, places etc.

So now you want him to invite journalists based in for example Texas? I don't understand. It's like the Brits complaining to Tim Westwood about there being too many British journalists or legends on his show and not as many Americans (I mean the flight difference between NY-LDN, is not much worse than NY-LAX).

It's most likely not about where you're from but where you're at. Over the past two years about a ⅓ is from the south and people act like he doesn't fukk with the south? He's old, he didn't grow up on it. He's learning shyt about them as he interviews them, not really as interviewing some old school NY cat who he's known for 30 years.

Cats are not proposing shyt, not considering any circumstances, nothing. Reminds of the summer when I worked at bofas customer service :whew:

Last edited:

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL

There are podcasts out there...lemme put you on game

Shots Fired (a bunch of underground west coast acts)
Day 1 Radio (mostly Southern artists)
Microphone Check (artists from everywhere)

And if I missed any, somebody let me know! I'm looking to get onto some new podcasts myself