Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
1 in 8 divorces is caused by student loans
Jessica dikkler | @jdikkler
Published 8:52 AM ET Fri, 27 July 2018CNBC.com
  • Outstanding student loan debt now stands at a record $1.5 trillion.
  • For couples just starting out, that burden is having an impact on their lifestyle and ability to buy a home or have children.
103428788-72472169.530x298.jpg

Mike Kemp | Rubberball | Getty Images
When it comes to student loan debt, "for richer, for poorer" doesn't quite cut it.

In general, finances are the leading cause of stress in a relationship, according to a study by SunTrust Bank, but student debt takes a particularly hard toll on a marriage.

More than a third of borrowers said college loans and other money factors contributed to their divorce, according to a recent report from Student Loan Hero, a website for managing education debt.
In fact, 13 percent of divorcees blame student loans specifically for ending their relationship, the report found. Student Loan Hero surveyed more than 800 divorced adults in June.
Not only can student loan debt, which now stands at an all-time high of $1.5 trillion, be a relationship killer, it's also harder to avoid than ever before.

The average outstanding balance is currently $34,144, up 62 percent over the last decade, according to a report by Experian. In addition, the percentage of borrowers who owe $50,000 or more has tripled over the same time period, according to a separate report by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Committing to someone with that kind of student debt "feels very unfair," said Jacqueline Newman, the managing partner of Berkman Bottger Newman & Rodd in New York.

"Student loans can really hold you back," she said. For couples just starting out, that burden is having an impact on their lifestyle and ability to buy a home or have children, she added.

Newman advises couples to consider a prenuptial agreement specifying that any money put toward that debt during a marriage would be credited back off the top of the marital assets.

(Prenups, which typically safeguard individual assets such as retirement accounts, real estate and investments, can also cover one partner's student loan or credit-card debt.)

That way, the person who is helping pay down the other person's debt would be reimbursed in the case of a split.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
What usually happens is one of the people in the relationship hides the fact they have a huge debt or significantly low ball the amount.

There are financial investigators out there that will scour your loved one's financials... :patrice: I've heard it being done before....

JOHN.KOOL

Manchester United/Atletico Madrid
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LOVE don't cure all brah

I understand that, i dont care how much i love someone i'd never put up with things such as cheating etc. love can't cure blatant disrespect for me. But if i loved a women i would marry her regardless of whether she was 100,000 dollars or pounds in debt. If i loved someone money would never ever be make or break for me. I dont understand how people can be like ' I love you but the money just aint enough, we gonna have to wrap this shyt up...'

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Correct me if im wrong but if you marry someone cause you love them, Like truly love them, i don't understand how debt can ever be a factor?

Student loan debt can't be discharged with a bankrupcy. If you default on your loans it messes up your ability to buy with credit or get loans including car loans and mortgages.