2010 was an aberration and TT won't sign free agents: Official 2016 GB Packers Offseason Thread

Will TT do anything but draft?

• Yes, he'll sign a FA or two

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he will just draft and sign UDFAs

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • He will retire and Elliot Wolf becomes GM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
That's been the story of our lives it seems like (minus 2010 when we had Nick Collins :mjcry:)

As for free agents, TT likes to shop at Walmart like the CAC that he is. But thinking back, what WRs were out there during preseason? Coming in we thought we were set with Jordy/Cobb/Adams but once Jordy went down the best available was James Jones but his old legs couldn't last a whole season.

It pains me to see us wasting 5 good years of Rodgers' career. He may go down with only 1 Ring and that's a shame but at the same time him making that comment blaming the coin flip had me shaking my head. Take the L and move on man. No need to be a poor sport.

I mentioned this in our Packers thread but as of late we want no part of the NFC West :whoa:

2012 - Bounced by San Fran
2013 - Bounced by San Fran
2014 - Bounced by Seattle
2015 - Bounced by Cardinals
2016 - Rams complete the cypher? :sadbron:
Not with Jeff Fischer as coach. He good for game planning against his division rivals but outside the division...his record kinda sucks.

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
I had no idea this was our offseason thread :pachaha:

Anyways we are gonna be playing the Colts in the hall of fame game. Sooo an extra preseason game and some extra practices :whew: hold me brehs :lupe: our track record with injuries :snoop:

It'll be good for the young guys but we can't afford to lose another key starter/rotational guy :ohlawd:

As for Raji, if he comes back cheap I'm all for it. You could do a lot worse than Raji/Guion/Pennell. :manny:

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
Nick Perry back for 1 year at $5 million. Not bad since he'll be motivated to prove himself. He's definitely stepped his game up last year though and worked well in our rotation. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. Possibly 1 less need as losing both Perry and Neal in FA would have opened up a hole in our OLB rotation. Hopefully Neal doesn't get much interest and comes back cheap too :myman:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Potential Bargains At Linebacker – PACKERS NOTES

So if Thompson wants to use free agency to improve the situation at inside linebacker – and he sure as heck should – he’ll have to uncover a hidden gem. Well, I did some digging and think I might’ve found a couple. Tennessee’s 26-year-old Zach Brown and Detroit’s 25-year-old Tahir Whitehead aren’t as good as Trevathan, but they’ll come at a fraction of the cost. More importantly, both do one thing well, and it’s the one thing none of Green Bay’s current inside linebackers can do. They can cover.

In the multiple games I watched, Brown and Whitehead were very impressive in space. They had little trouble sticking with tight ends over the middle, and I even saw them run stride for stride with backs down the field. They looked extremely fast on tape, so it came as no surprise when I later found out that both posted impressive 40s prior to the 2012 draft. Brown ran 4.5 at the NFL Combine; Whitehead ran 4.66 at his pro day.

After you look up Brown and Whitehead on Google, I know what you’ll be thinking. Why did they start only 5 and 8 games respectively last season? There are a couple of reasons. The first is that they’re no better than average against the run. The second is that some of the guys who played ahead of them – namely Wesley Woodyard and Avery Williamson in Tennessee and Stephen Tulloch in Detroit – are pretty darn good.

With coach Mike McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dom Capers determined to move Pro Bowler Clay Matthews outside, Sam Barrington and Jake Ryan are currently atop the depth chart at inside linebacker. While signing Brown or Whitehead might not necessarily change things on early downs, it would definitely impact the nickel and dime. And after watching A.J. Hawk, Brad Jones, Jamari Lattimore, Sam Barrington and Joe Thomas try to cover in recent seasons, any players who would positively impact those packages have to be on Thompson’s shopping list – especially if those players can be purchased from the bargain bin.

@FloorGeneral @tru_m.a.c @ItzTime @ThaRebel @Oh Boy. @MushroomX @Tical @Upshall @Darealtwo1 @Don De Dieu
@CJ14 @bsmooth @Stelio Kontos
@Monster
@SHAQAVELLI

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Nick Perry back for 1 year at $5 million. Not bad since he'll be motivated to prove himself. He's definitely stepped his game up last year though and worked well in our rotation. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. Possibly 1 less need as losing both Perry and Neal in FA would have opened up a hole in our OLB rotation. Hopefully Neal doesn't get much interest and comes back cheap too :myman:

I hate that he's taking up $5M of cap space.

Plus he can't cover anyone. We DESPERATELY need an ILB who can cover the middle

And a TE who can stretch the defense..

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

MVike28

right around the ACC
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Y'all brehs shouldn't panic.

Vikings ditched the FA big contract approach in 2010 after Favre left and no coincidence the team has improved dramatically as a result.

North gonna be war next year.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

What the hell is this? Wonder what his reason(s) are...

What few people knew was the turmoil that chased him in the past year.

When Raji reported to training camp in July, the two “most powerful” women in his life were battling serious health concerns. His mother, Mamie, is hypertensive and on dialysis as well as dealing with diabetes. His aunt, Grace Patterson, is fighting breast cancer. Their health only got worse through the fall.

“When I returned (after the season),” Raji said, “the situation escalated horribly. That got me thinking, talking to my aunt who’s literally fighting for her life with breast cancer.”

Stelio Kontos

All Star
Daps
Dam I didn't know that about Raji. Apparently he left a long term contract offer from the Packers on the table too. Props to him for not chasing the money and going all Albert Haynesworth on us. Hope him and his family the best and hope to see him in Green and Gold again some day. Guy seemed to really respect the Packers culture. Glad he at least has a SB already.

Also for Cook, hope he takes a cheap deal in the range of 4-6 a year. I'm hoping his value plummeted after his 5 year 35million deal didn't work out and he has to take a discount. He's only 28 and in his prime though and there aren't a lot of TE options available.

Plus it's classic TT since he was cut and won't affect our comp picks