ADOS Gang, What Are The Qualifications for ADOS Benefits?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Having a group chat with a couple relatives of mine, and my cousin says the idea of land grants and business grants solely for ADOS is complicated due to some of us having consanguineal bloodlines.

I respond by saying that if you classified yourself as black and can trace your ancestry to ACS, then you would qualify for things solely for ADOS. Fast forward a little later, he goes on to saying his understanding of ADOS is having slave ancestry on both sides of your family. He says he wouldn’t qualify for ADOS benefits because of his bloodline(mom’s side is ADOS, father’s side is from the Caribbean).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but one should quality for ADOS benefits if you’re black and have American Slavery lineage. So you don’t have to have full blown AS lineage to qualify for ADOS benefits, just be black and have have ancestry that traces to AS.

Cliffs:
  • - My cousin thinks benefits solely for ADOS is tricky due to some of us having mixed bloodlines.
  • - I think you qualify for ADOS benefits if you’re black and have lineage that traces to AS(American Slavery)
  • His understanding of ADOS is having slavery lineage on both sides of your family, and he wouldn’t qualify for ADOS benefits(his mothers side is ADOS, his father’s side is from the Caribbean)
  • I believe you don’t need full blown ADOS benefits, just have to be black and have some type of AS lineage.
@Nicole0416 @HarlemHottie @Tony_Bromo @Diasporan Royalty @xoxodede @Elle Driver @AggieLean. @CHICAGO
Thoughts? Am I wrong?

-

The answer is simple-This should be governed by culture and history and not personal opinion.

With that being said- Ados- of having lineage to u.s chattel slavery and early Freedmen- Anyone of cultural lineage to
Antebellum South-Northern Yankee-Creolized cultures the three things that shape the modern AAFRAM culture and people

Someone who is half Afram half other is historically considered Afram

So if your half Ados half Haitian you would be considered Ados
Likewise if you were half Ados half white you would be considered ADOS

This is all based on history

GMoney

Nostalgia Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Abundance
  • His understanding of ADOS is having slavery lineage on both sides of your family, and he wouldn’t qualify for ADOS benefits(his mothers side is ADOS, his father’s side is from the Caribbean)
  • I believe you don’t need full blown ADOS benefits, just have to be black and have some type of AS lineage.

Remember, some of the reparations will be institutional, so those who are hyper-focused on their individual positionality in all of this are kind telling on themselves, aren't they?

Anyway, most of the suggestions I've seen with regards to individual payouts or benefits acknowledge partial ancestry and different amounts of compensation accordingly. There has to be a cut off of course, given that there of millions of white Americans that have black slave ancestors especially if we go back to this countries colonial progenitors like John Punch. Even famous 19th-century slaves like Solomon Northup have a bunch white decedents. I've seen Tone suggest that anyone that has defined themselves as Afram recently (last 20 years) and has an ancestor that was defined as such on the 1870 census and prior is eligible. 1870 is going to be the big cut off, if your people were not here or shown as black/negro/mulatto on any paperwork before the 1880 or 1870 census. you are probably not eligible.

Last edited:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Bottom line is if you are black and were here before the end of Jim Crow, you were basically living under extreme apartheid which entitles you to benefits. This includes people in the north. Them homies got killed and framed left and right up there too.

Yes. The narrower the qualifications, the easier it will be for the system to disqualify people. The reparations need to basically be for Black people here prior to 1968 and if you came here after the Civil Rights Act you were made whole being able to come here in the first place.

thashiek

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
This is a culture conversation. ADOS is a cultural movement, reparations runs parallel to all of this. We would be talking about reparations even without "ados"
wtf are you talking about

So you put the pandering sentence and not believing words from a white persons mouth in bold.

And your response is that we would be talking about reparations anyway? Of course, its been talked about my whole life, but for 30+ years I've never heard it discussed so heavily. Especially not in the political realm. Maybe that is solely due to the social media era we are in.

You seem to be focused on our internal talks about reparations, while I was speaking about the political angle/talks of reparations. I guess I see the confusion there, unless you don't believe pandering is occurring and also believe words from white talking heads? If that is the case, no need for a back and forth as we will have to agree to disagree.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Yes. The narrower the qualifications, the easier it will be for the system to disqualify people. The reparations need to basically be for Black people here prior to 1968 and if you came here after the Civil Rights Act you were made whole being able to come here in the first place.

Why do you think so?

The mandatory qualify us being a direct descendant of the enslaved. It's not hard. A quick 10 min search will show proof.

The US has this all documented.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Why do you think so?

The mandatory qualify us being a direct descendant of the enslaved. It's not hard. A quick 10 min search will show proof.

The US has this all documented.

Because the system that will be administering the benefits is the same system that enslaved your people in the first place. So if the qualifications are super stringent they will use those same rules to disqualify people. This would not have been an issue if it was done 100 years ago but that ain’t the case. Look at all the rules they make to stop you from voting...they’ll have 100 rules to fukk you out of reparations too.

It needs to be simple like “prove two or more people within your direct lineage were considered Black or African in 1968 or before”

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Because the system that will be administering the benefits is the same system that enslaved your people in the first place. So if the qualifications are super stringent they will use those same rules to disqualify people. This would not have been an issue if it was done 100 years ago but that ain’t the case. Look at all the rules they make to stop you from voting...they’ll have 100 rules to fukk you out of reparations too.

It needs to be simple like “prove two or more people within your direct lineage were considered Black or African in 1968 or before”

We will just have to wait and see I guess.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Thats way to recent breh

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
So you put the pandering sentence and not believing words from a white persons mouth in bold.

And your response is that we would be talking about reparations anyway? Of course, its been talked about my whole life, but for 30+ years I've never heard it discussed so heavily. Especially not in the political realm. Maybe that is solely due to the social media era we are in.

You seem to be focused on our internal talks about reparations, while I was speaking about the political angle/talks of reparations. I guess I see the confusion there, unless you don't believe pandering is occurring and also believe words from white talking heads? If that is the case, no need for a back and forth as we will have to agree to disagree.
Who is pandering and who are these white talking heads?

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't agree - as they ended in 1965. And it was MAJOR differences in Jim Crow South -- even though it was racism everywhere. A legacy/ancestry of enslavement is required.

nope. In fact, MLK himself said Chicago was the most racist place he ever been in his life. He feared big cities in the north more than the south.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
Thats way to recent breh

How is that too soon when that was the date when the flood gates really opened? Prior to the Immigration and Nationality Act they wasn’t letting non-white immigrants over here like that.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
nope. In fact, MLK himself said Chicago was the most racist place he ever been in his life. He feared big cities in the north more than the south.

Racism and extreme hate is one thing -- but add that times 10 --and daily lynchings, white terrorism, convict leasing, pig laws/black codes -- in addition to Sharecropping laws/contract-- basically slavery -- is another thing.

Study reconstruction.

Also- this is a great resource -- to find out why they left the south.

Last edited:

thashiek

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Who is pandering and who are these white talking heads?

Every single candidate that has talked about reparations thus far, and some of those who have yet to put their bid in. When it comes to the white talking heads, I only hear or read what they say, I don't know their names and don't care to.

Get to what you really want to say though, because I am getting the suspicion that you want to go to bat for someone or something. You feel like I am minimizing the importance of reparations or disrespecting the cultural importance of ADOS discussions? If not, all good, hopefully I addressed what you didn't understand from my first post. If there are still lingering questions/concerns, lets make this swift, because I don't want a rant to turn into a debate.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
AAME : image

The stream of migrants to the United States was relatively small compared with the flow to Central America and Cuba. While 108,000 people entered the United States from the entire Caribbean region between 1899 and 1932, it took only two islands, Jamaica and Barbados, to supply more than 240,000 laborers to Panama between 1881 and 1915. The migration to the U.S. was also distinct in another important respect. Those who immigrated to this country were disproportionately literate and skilled, with a significant number being professionals or white-collar workers.

The number of black people, especially those from the Caribbean, who migrated to the United States increased dramatically during the first three decades of the twentieth century, peaking in 1924 at 12,250 per year and falling off during the Depression. The foreign-born black population increased from 20,000 in 1900 to almost 100,000 by 1930. Over 140,000 black immigrants passed through United States ports between 1899 and 1937, despite the restrictive immigration laws enacted in 1917, 1921, and 1924.