Anybody ever listen to illmatic and think damn this shyt is wack

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Illmatic is avg. Meant nothing when it dropped.
7 years to go plat for an album that had a few videos on tv,got 5 mics in the source,crowned the best lyricist. All that and still couldnt move units. Means it didnt affect the people

I guess this analysis applies to reasonable doubt too since it couldn't move units either (and according to others in this thread it did worse")

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I guess this analysis applies to reasonable doubt too since it couldn't move units either (and according to others in this thread it did worse")
Yes you are correct. I believe RD is a much better album but no it didnt mean anything when it dropped.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Rewrite history????) that wack shyt sold 59k albums the first week. nikka did ace hood numbers.

Wasn't nobody tryna hear him monkey flipem with the funky rhythm :mjlol:

nikka had to do a song with Lauryn hill for people to pay attention
Oh you determine how hot an album is by it's sales? LOL are you 12?

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
that makes zero sense. If you hate Illmatic, you don't understand or like Nas at all. Lets keep it all the way real.
Actually HE makes perfect sense. YOU DONT.
Nas became ultra creative and subject matter based AFTER illmatic and has remained that way for the past two decades.
All his thought provoking social commentary records came after illmatic.
On illmatic he was talking circles ALOT. You could damn near swap out any verse for another and the song wouldnt change.
Nas started staying on subject in songs on IWW.
He may have revisited rappitdy rap songs but the biggest shift in his career was from illmatic to IWW and he remained more like IWW nas from then to now

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
I love these threads because it exposes the fakes and posers in hip-hop.

"Name a rapper that i ain't influenced"
"My first album had no famous guest appearances. The outcome: I'm crowned the best lyricist"

You fools, Illmatic is the bridge from old school to new school east coast hip-hop. From the late 80's to early 90's, West Coast music was dominating. Nas came in and laid the framework for the East to surge back in the mid 90's.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Oh you determine how hot an album is by it's sales? LOL are you 12?
Well if you were told a album was hot via media,yet it wasnt flying off the shelves,then that's worth pointing out.
Sales may not determine how good an album is,however it does determine how the public reacted. And it's funny that only albums from the east coast can have less than stellar sales yet get compared to other albums with above avg to great sales.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Actually HE makes perfect sense. YOU DONT.
Nas became ultra creative and subject matter based AFTER illmatic and has remained that way for the past two decades.
All his thought provoking social commentary records came after illmatic.
On illmatic he was talking circles ALOT. You could damn near swap out any verse for another and the song wouldnt change.
Nas started staying on subject in songs on IWW.
He may have revisited rappitdy rap songs but the biggest shift in his career was from illmatic to IWW and he remained more like IWW nas from then to now

stop inserting yourself into convos that have nothing to do with you. Do you really think I'm gonna go back and forth on your garbage? :mjlol:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I love these threads because it exposes the fakes and posers in hip-hop.

"Name a rapper that i ain't influenced"
"My first album had no famous guest appearances. The outcome: I'm crowned the best lyricist"

You fools, Illmatic is the bridge from old school to new school east coast hip-hop. From the late 80's to early 90's, West Coast music was dominating. Nas came in and laid the framework for the East to surge back in the mid 90's.
Wrong,west coast kept dominating and nas wasnt a major factor till IWW. RTD brought NY back