Are black people against learning trades?

Best Trade to Learn?

• HVAC

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Plumbing

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Electrical

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Welding

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Carpentry

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Pipefitting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I went to an orientation for this HVAC school that I'm joining and saw nothing but white faces. It kind of surprised me too because the school is in a rough part of town and didn't expect CAC's to travel into area like this just to go to school and mind you I visited several different trade programs before this one and saw about 8 other black people in total out of like 200 White folks mixed with some Hispanics but anyways it got me thinking about why nikkas don't ever consider trades. More often than not whenever you got a faulty leak, messed up wiring, no heat or cold air running through your house etc... it's always either a CAC or a Hispanic coming to fix it. I don't understand it trade schools cost less than regular colleges, there's even community colleges that offer courses on Plumbing, HVAC, Welding, Electrical etc... you can try for apprenticeships (although their harder to get into). It can help the black community if more of us became tradesmen, we'd create our own trade businesses then hire black folks and teach them the trade or at least that's what I'm going to do... What's the reason for this? Why don't black parents urge their kids to learn a trade more rather than getting a degree?

Let's Discuss...

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Most young black people I know lack the knowledge about the trade scene because its seen as "old school work."

Where Im at in the south its mostly people from the West Indes, mexicans and rednecks who do trades.

So I wouldn't say they are against it, its just not on their radar based on what Ive seen. Most dont even know that you can get paid well in the trade scene.

Last edited:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I don't think so, but some women (no specific race) look down on tradesmen for some reason

But if the pay is there (which it usually is) then what's the problem?
It's not sexy to show off to people who don't matter. My man is a electrician isn't appealing as my man is an attorney or doctor. Practically making the same money in regards to student loans and whatnot.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Ima actually starting an electrician trade program in october. Tried the college thing out for a year and it wasnt really for me:francis:. Cool thing is the whole program is actually free (minus the drug test/tools.) All in all though i think it should be a great experience. Had a few friends that went through the program and they got apprenticeships pretty easily and making about 14-15 an hour :ehh:

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Central TX . I live near TSTC (Texas State Technical College) , trades out the ass and a lot of blacks there. Thought about attending myself
Damn that's dope, you lucky. I loved to be working/learn trades around other blacks folks, it felt a little :mjpls:at my orientation... If I was you I'd try HVAC since you in Texas and it stay hot, people always gonna need air conditioning.