Are black people against learning trades?

Best Trade to Learn?

• HVAC

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Plumbing

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Electrical

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Welding

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Carpentry

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Pipefitting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
No not at all. It's in fact much cheaper than going to a four year school and if you're lucky you can get an apprenticeship then you won't have to pay much at all maybe a small entrance fee if I remember correctly.

whats the difference ? whats an apprenticeship?

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
No just being failed by today's guidance counselors and college being pushed down everyone's throat.

also pushed down the throat of prisoners/inmates.... those dudes need to learn a trade because it will be hard ass fukk for them to use a degree and get hired (if black )

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Here, an apprenticeship is paid schooling.

For the electrician program, you take 11 weeks of in school class, then you get paired up with a licensed electrician as his side-kick and make 40% of his salary. Each year you make more and more with the final year being like 70% and this last like 5 years. Then you get your license and can do your own thing.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
I have a cousin who is a welder in texas. Makes GREAT money, owns his own home at 26 has 2 nice cars paid off no debt etc. Hes tried to put people on but they all be like "nah I'm good"
He did the right thing and started young. That's how you suppose to get it in. I was definitely one of "I'm good" people.

Now making good money in my 30s will be cool, but I could have been making this good ass money now in my 20s

:aicmon:

JackRoss

Veteran
Daps
Answered above, but Electrician. A dude that works with my mother was asking her about me, because he's apart of one of the black electrician unions here in Chicago and they are really pushing to get more of us in the field.

It's something I can see myself doing cause corporate america just isn't my thing, and the potential to be making $45/hr or even starting my own business looks good to me.

Real shyt breh, the building is far west on 115th...if you apply now, we take the apprenticeship test in October. You'll just need to brush up on your algebra.

Google

Bruh I applied for South Suburban cuz I want to do something in the computing or straight business world but I'm not really fit for it... I'd love to take up a trade though but I really don't know about any of the trade schools out here... Any info would be a blessing fam

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
An apprenticeship is basically a combination of on the job training and classroom instruction under the supervision of like a master plumber or master electrician or master HVAC while getting payed the same time and it usually last 2-5 years plus once your down a spot/job in a labor union is gifted too you. I signed up for an apprenticeship but wasn't one of the lucky ones selected since their are like 1000 applicants but only 25 people are selected...

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Bruh I applied for South Suburban cuz I want to do something in the computing or straight business world but I'm not really fit for it... I'd love to take up a trade though but I really don't know about any of the trade schools out here... Any info would be a blessing fam
Yep just go to that spot. Its all open registration now so all you got to do is literally walk in and get an application.

TRAP AMERICAN TV

TRAP GOLD
Daps
I'm gonna say hvac my brother is into that shyt and has a full time job and gets clients on the side. He also hauls away ac units and strips them of copper and sells that shyt. Said he collects it for a year then cashes in once he thinks he has a good amount.

Good thread op I do wish more people got into trades and give it more thought than just saying college or nothing
Online Colleges, Schools & Classes - University of Phoenix

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
What I'm about to say is fukked up, but I do want to be honest. I'll use my personal experience, and then I'll talk about society view ( from my perspective).

Personally growing up I had no choice but to go to college. My mother went to college( BA, MS) and my father attended college as well ( A.A.S). So telling my parents " I want to go to trade school", is a big :facepalm:to them. Is it fair? Nope. But it is the truth. My parents look at trade school like they look at for profit degrees :smh: not worth it. So if I told my parents I wanted to go to a trade school, it would be a huge let down for them. I remember joking about dropping out of high school and going to trade school ( just trolling my mom's) and she literally gave me the :scust: and the :angry: speech. Again, I'm just speaking on my perspective growing up; Personally speaking, I think trade schools are a respectable alternative to colleges/universities; But where I grew up, it just wouldn't work.

Also you have to factor in the environment people grew up in. I grew up in Laurelton Queens and Fresh Meadows Queens. Telling your classmates and friends I'm going to trade school instead of college is just not worth it. The reason I'm bringing my story into this, is because I feel like a lot of black people come from this same exact scenario, whether they want to admit it or not. I hope I don't come off as being too harsh, but I just want to be honest.

Secondly In NYC, college is pushed down your throat so much that anything different is looked at negatively. I went to two high schools, St Francis prep ( private), and Flushing HS ( Public); both schools pushed college heavily. It may have been different colleges, Flushing HS ( CUNY) or ST.Francis prep ( Private universities), but the mission was clear, you must go to a college. You can't even graduate from Flushing HS without filling out a college application/forum. Is it fair? Nope. But that's life. Maybe it's just a NYC mentality, but it is what it is.:manny:.

In the end I hope more people do go into trades. It would be nice to hire a black plumber or electrician.