Snoopy Loops

All Star
Daps
Wonder if getting into data engineering/science through the cloud(aws/azure/gcp certs) is a worthy route. Nothing beats knowing fundamentals, I imagine knowing how ML/ETL tools interact with the code in production environments is where its at.

If anyone is hip to the game, please drop some info.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
Wonder if getting into data engineering/science through the cloud(aws/azure/gcp certs) is a worthy route. Nothing beats knowing fundamentals, I imagine knowing how ML/ETL tools interact with the code in production environments is where its at.

If anyone is hip to the game, please drop some info.

Not there yet. Focusing on being a full-stack developer first then choosing which part I want to be in for a career.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Jumping back into Power BI for work. The initial foray I had was a headache a year ago with systems repeatedly crashing while trying to import databases but now that they have more knowledgeable people managing Power BI, I can focus on smaller datasets that are more relevant in my day-to-day and reach out to SMEs if I have any issues.

Currently I am taking some short courses on LinkedinLearning (fka Lynda.com)

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Jumping back into Power BI for work. The initial foray I had was a headache a year ago with systems repeatedly crashing while trying to import databases but now that they have more knowledgeable people managing Power BI, I can focus on smaller datasets that are more relevant in my day-to-day and reach out to SMEs if I have any issues.

Currently I am taking some short courses on LinkedinLearning (fka Lynda.com)
How does it compare to tableau?

Rymas

Superstar
Daps
Used to work at a company that makes a well known viz tool.

Tbh the important aspect of the creation of visualizations is the ability to convey a proper story. I worked with one of the better developers recently and the way he actually thought about the tool was quite smart in that aspect. But with that said making visualizations seems like a shytty career doing the same thing, but it does put you in a different mindset.

Data science and ML is def the future, it has a future heavily in automation, being able to create a new use case based on recognizing inputs that fit the mold of a typical pattern.

the thing is that eventually the mathematics will get to the point at which it’s sort of “cracked” and it comes down to making the implementation. Basically the big tech companies will do data science as a service and the little guys will reap tons of benefits if set up correctly

Rymas

Superstar
Daps
Don't sleep on AWS or Azure certs... almost all of the big companies are transitioning their on premises stuff to one of these platforms, and there is a LOT of work to be done.
That shyt is the standard now. There are now massive enterprises who are pure cloud shops so basically every single Dev has to have the basics of their platform in their tool kit

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
@Secure Da Bag How much should I know in ssrs before I start applying to reporting jobs?

You should Power Bi and SSRS. Power BI is free. In both, you should definitely know how to connect to the databse (sounds basic, but you'd be surprised). In SSRS, understand when to use the matrix and table formats and be very familiar with the different aggregate functions in SSRS. (If you don't know what aggregate functions, now is the time to start googling.)