Black people that grew up in stable functioning environments are punished by this society

Lesfilles

Pro
Daps
I agree with this, grew up with an engineer for a father and my mom was a SAHM. Definitely a disconnect between myself and some other blacks who didn't grow up the same way. The narrative has always been that the Cosby life-style is the one off, but that's all I knew growing up. Growing up, you come to know people who know people, and you end up crossing paths with those you never thought you would. I remember being young, sitting on some green leather couch in some dudes house, grown men just sitting around, cursing, smoking, drinking. Complaining about their situation and yet doing nothing to improve it. I thought they were lame, probably because I could never see my dad doing something like that. But I could see some of my friends getting sucked into it. Dudes whose fathers were the one black partner at a law firm, hanging out with dudes living in the projects because they managed to cut down on their self-esteem and make them feel like they weren't living like how black people are supposed to live. It's sad.

Same for the women, I know a girl who had a full-ride to a private white institution, her high-school was pretty diverse both in nationalities and economic backgrounds. So while her mother was a Michigan alum with a plum corporate job and her dad is a dentist doing well and they live in a 5 bedroom home and she's never wanted for anything, ever, in an effort to 'keep it real' she ends up hanging out with this group of chicks from the rougher side of town, most of whom live in assisted housing. She starts messing with some hood dude they all know; and they are 'dating' the rest of her senior year and over the summer. However, by mid-summer she starts acting strange, wearing baggy clothes and in the first semester of her first year of university, it starts to become clear that she's pregnant. At the PWI, she realizes that white kids are looking at her like she's just another statistic and she feels embarrassed. Five weeks into the first semester, she drops out of school. Her father had a heart-attack after finding out and his practice was closed for like a week.

That's why I always told my littler sister, no matter what you say, do or think, music you listen to, activities you enjoy, hobbies you partake in, you're black no matter what, never let someone try to tell you otherwise. There is no one way to be black and blackness doesn't have to be associated with poverty, single-parenthood and hopelessness. For kids that grew up like we did, that's important. Having a passport at age 9 and going to London and France for vacation, parents sending you to French lessons and going to white summer camps and attending bar mitzvah's.... yeah it's not the norm, but we weren't any less black because of it. Of all things, we learned early that being successful is not going to prevent people from being racist. You go into a designer store, Michelin star restaurant and get treated like dirt despite the fact that your parents make more in half a year then what they'll make in two and all cause you're black.