Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
investing has totally changed how I look at money. I didn't think about it before I started doing it but you can't really out work money. The more money you can get in income the more money you can have your money make for you.

This. Money will always be the hardest working person/entity in a room. Not the person that can crank out x amount of output in a day.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
investing has totally changed how I look at money. I didn't think about it before I started doing it but you can't really out work money. The more money you can get in income the more money you can have your money make for you.

Most people make more money but use that money to fund lifestyle creep. If you took a person that made $50K and the next year they started making $100K they're moving and getting a better car and new furniture. If I was that person I'd keep living how I was living and invest all the excess past what I had with the $50K.

My parents did a lot for me. They drilled into me fiscal responsibility, maintaining good credit, debt avoidance. They did not teach me anything about investing and I kinda resent that. If I would have really known about investing in my late teens or early 20s my life would probably be completely different now. My pops was anti-stock market. He didn't understand it and looked at it as gambling so I adopted his attitude and ignored it until age 35. When it comes to growing my investments I can't get that time back.
that's a lot of black people. i remember being an RA for a summer program back in college and these white kids had stock portfolios, i had no clue how to get into trading real stock back then. my parents were the same, no understanding of the stock market, they were 100% about the real estate game, when i started investing, my dad was looked at me like i was about to throw money straight into the gutter.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

Most people make more money but use that money to fund lifestyle creep. If you took a person that made $50K and the next year they started making $100K they're moving and getting a better car and new furniture. If I was that person I'd keep living how I was living and invest all the excess past what I had with the $50K.

My parents did a lot for me. They drilled into me fiscal responsibility, maintaining good credit, debt avoidance. They did not teach me anything about investing and I kinda resent that. If I would have really known about investing in my late teens or early 20s my life would probably be completely different now. My pops was anti-stock market. He didn't understand it and looked at it as gambling so I adopted his attitude and ignored it until age 35. When it comes to growing my investments I can't get that time back.

What i started doing after I hit 70k a few years back is, any time i get a raise now, I take the delta between my new check and old check (post taxes) and saving/invest it.

Any time i pay off a debt, i save/ invest that same amount elsewhere.

Didnt wanna be a victim of what you just described.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
how do you use this? basically what fields would you fill in on the site to find stocks worth doing DD on?

I've been on that thing for months building up my watch lists......I've been watching for the movers. Some of them have bad share structure and you have to know what you're doing. Most of them you need to get in at the very bottom, or at least know how they move so you know when to get out. Definitely don't want to buy into something too high......

Once you figure out how they move, you can go. The most important thing is coming up with a plan on how to get out of a stock when you buy in, good or bad.

Setting price targets and stuff like that doesn't always work. You really need to start recognizing the momentum a stock has.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
that's a lot of black people. i remember being an RA for a summer program back in college and these white kids had stock portfolios, i had no clue how to get into trading real stock back then. my parents were the same, no understanding of the stock market, they were 100% about the real estate game, when i started investing, my dad was looked at me like i was about to throw money straight into the gutter.

We have to excuse our parents. They were not as computer savvy as our generation. Yeah, we wish they were more brave about it, but think back. Most would have to give their money over to somebody else and let them handle the investing part. They wanted more control than that.

I remember my parents had some investment and they caught the guy trying to steal money from them. So, you know, I can't blame them. It's a new generation, and we need to make sure we teach our kids how to do these things.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Damn, I should have jumped in when chamath did smh.

Edit: Wtf? Before it reached 115..it dropped lol. Glad I didn't

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
What i started doing after I hit 70k a few years back is, any time i get a raise now, I take the delta between my new check and old check (post taxes) and saving/invest it.

Any time i pay off a debt, i save/ invest that same amount elsewhere.

Didnt wanna be a victim of what you just described.
same, the last car i bought, i paid off in 2.5 yrs, last payment was jan 2016, to this day i still put my car payment into savings, i never let that money become part of my discretionary income

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Damn, I should have jumped in when chamath did smh.

Edit: Wtf? Before it reached 115..it dropped lol. Glad I didn't
Level 2 data looks favorable to the bulls and short interest is still massively high.If they get past 115 they will get another gamma squeeze I think

But Gamestop can continue to rocket. Friday in particular is going to be very interesting if they can keep this up.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I chose to invest in apple instead of tesla before the stock split :snoop:

you didn’t make a bad choice just not the optimal choice...that’s how I felt to. Honestly at multiple points I wanted to get rid of every stock I had and withdraw my tsp and invest it all in TSLA...

but the moment I do that the whole company will implode because my luck is set up like that :lolbron:

but yolo