Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
We have to excuse our parents. They were not as computer savvy as our generation. Yeah, we wish they were more brave about it, but think back. Most would have to give their money over to somebody else and let them handle the investing part. They wanted more control than that.

I remember my parents had some investment and they caught the guy trying to steal money from them. So, you know, I can't blame them. It's a new generation, and we need to make sure we teach our kids how to do these things.
it's a cultural, and economic, thing tho, not generational. white people of their generation invested with the same barriers - having to go into a brokerage, call a broker for trades etc. we just never had the exposure, these are things that people have to recognize when we talk about the generational wealth, and opportunity, gaps of black vs white people in this country

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
investing has totally changed how I look at money. I didn't think about it before I started doing it but you can't really out work money. The more money you can get in income the more money you can have your money make for you.

Most people make more money but use that money to fund lifestyle creep. If you took a person that made $50K and the next year they started making $100K they're moving and getting a better car and new furniture. If I was that person I'd keep living how I was living and invest all the excess past what I had with the $50K.

My parents did a lot for me. They drilled into me fiscal responsibility, maintaining good credit, debt avoidance. They did not teach me anything about investing and I kinda resent that. If I would have really known about investing in my late teens or early 20s my life would probably be completely different now. My pops was anti-stock market. He didn't understand it and looked at it as gambling so I adopted his attitude and ignored it until age 35. When it comes to growing my investments I can't get that time back.
Honestly my fam never understood how money works. I come from a family of professionals, but they're literally living check to check. That's why on the outside looking in, its like yea, my fam made high income, but in reality I never had shyt. I surely benefitted from the stability of my parents jobs and the affluent neighborhood. But there's legit times where I struggled for basics.

Like I remember my fam being so strapped for cash, that I couldnt get new glasses after they broke until the semester ended. I also remember going long periods of time skipping visits to the dentist and other medical work to get the proper treatment, because my folks didnt prioritize that shyt. I didnt really learn how manage my money & health until my mid 20's when I went through a true hardship. I used to live check to check, and spend all my money on clothes and clubbing. The combination of being broke and underemployed, fueled me to learn how money works. Heck right before I really started investing last year I just finished paying off some crazy debt, I had. Now I'm at a space where I can actually breathe.

But in hindsight, I wish my fam understood money. Income doesn't mean shyt to me. It's about what you do with your funds. My family priorities looking like money, instead of actually having money on standby or having money in places where it appreciates.

@No1

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Level 2 data looks favorable to the bulls and short interest is still massively high.If they get past 115 they will get another gamma squeeze I think

But Gamestop can continue to rocket. Friday in particular is going to be very interesting if they can keep this up.
When is it BB's turn? :ld:

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
it's a cultural, and economic, thing tho, not generational. white people of their generation invested with the same barriers - having to go into a brokerage, call a broker for trades etc. we just never had the exposure, these are things that people have to recognize when we talk about the generational wealth, and opportunity, gaps of black vs white people in this country

We definitely started behind, and were kept from certain parts of dealing with money for a long time.

Now it's wide open. We can't say they kept us from it, because it's easy for us to open a brokerage account now.

We already know help is not coming from their side, so it's just time for black people to put their heads together and work it out.

We are here. We are doing it.

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
investing has totally changed how I look at money. I didn't think about it before I started doing it but you can't really out work money. The more money you can get in income the more money you can have your money make for you.

Most people make more money but use that money to fund lifestyle creep. If you took a person that made $50K and the next year they started making $100K they're moving and getting a better car and new furniture. If I was that person I'd keep living how I was living and invest all the excess past what I had with the $50K.

My parents did a lot for me. They drilled into me fiscal responsibility, maintaining good credit, debt avoidance. They did not teach me anything about investing and I kinda resent that. If I would have really known about investing in my late teens or early 20s my life would probably be completely different now. My pops was anti-stock market. He didn't understand it and looked at it as gambling so I adopted his attitude and ignored it until age 35. When it comes to growing my investments I can't get that time back.
Once my kid was born I became determined to give her freedom in her 20s, my parents couldn't teach me anything about stocks either.

She in diapers now with more money than i had at 21 :russ: the goal is just to give her more options than I had

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

don't forget the older generation didn't have access to the same services as whites, were simply denied or given a deal that fukked them over.

if my mom had a broker as easy to sign up for like robinhood then i'm sure she would have invested something. robinhood doesn't turn anyone away based on the color of their skin.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

definitely I remember my pops goal for me was to find a job with benefits and retirement. Because that’s what he did and what he knew. So as I come up on my first retirement I didn’t realize how important investing was until basically the last few years. Yes I invested but I for some unknown reason thought that just using my thrift savings plan and having a house was investing.

my elders legitimately just didn’t know my pops is the only one who even went to college my mother retired as a nurse and just lived off of retirement and savings and my pops once he retired from the military just found other jobs to do and would retire from them once he was ready. And now all he does is travel with his GF. But I know if they were exposed to investing and could trust the system they would have. I’m 38 and didn’t even trust the system myself until a few years ago.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

True. Technology has fukked the game up for a lot of these 1%ers trying to hoard the knowledge and hustle.

And now that minorities are catching on more and more to the game, they scared as shyt.