Brunson already has more playoff points as a Knick than Melo

Youngdev

Superstar
Daps
Legacy turning irrelevant one game at a time and imagine of the Knicks somehow make it to the finals. The city is loving Brunson right now and he’s done more for the franchise than any player in the last 20 years.

He going into the hall in the next few years. I'm sure he will be fine

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
So everything Joker has accomplished over the past 4 years is out the window because of 2 games of a playoff series?

Carmelo is an overrated bum because....Jalen Brunson is balling out and he's not 6'10?

Why are you trying to justify this?

Breh he brought that team/city a chip so even tho they are going to get bounced out of the playoffs in a couple of days — he’s still a hero and did something.

What did Melo really do in Denver? We will remember him not getting past the first round and also laying on the court while everyone kept playing around him lol.

He just wasn’t that dude but he was still a name brand player. But not someone you give the keys to and let him cook. He would’ve been great on an ensemble cast like the 2003 Pistons or even a quality sidekick.

Youngdev

Superstar
Daps
Breh I’m sure Julian Newman is going into the hall.

They let everyone in.

Yall keep saying that but everyone aint in

And even if the HOF was as less generous as your stating, Melo would still get in so..

He getting in first ballot , not 10 years after he is up for it

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Legacy turning irrelevant one game at a time and imagine of the Knicks somehow make it to the finals. The city is loving Brunson right now and he’s done more for the franchise than any player in the last 20 years.
Brunson is joining the all-time Knicks greats club. Melo, Ewing & them are welcoming him. Nobody is getting kicked out

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
The Melo "hate" comes from his game being spoken on in superlatives and some folks wondering why that didn't translate to more success.

The fact another "pure scorer" SF in KD came shortly after and occupied that lane better adds to the space for critique.
That's a matter of perspective. Kobe cared about scoring 30, MJ cared about scoring 30, Doc, Shaq, Logo...all of the great scorers. Him not having 30 means he had a shytty game in his mind, like all of the other great scorers.

You can't say he cared more about scoring than winning, when he used to be just as pissed with losing. Everything else is media driven narrative. Melo played defense, he was a post defender. You played defense on Lebron, Kobe, all of the other wings. But yes, he wasn't a great defender out on the wings, but that wasn't his style. He was one of the best offensive rebounders in the league at one point, and also passed. You can't have watched him and Kristap and not seen how well they worked the 2-man game. People pick and chose when those things apply.

Melo just became easy to hate, so everyone seemed to run with it.
Those other great scorers weren't mad at winning game with 22 points.
Overrated by who?

The most you hear about Melo now is he was a great scorer with a deadly bag and he was hard to guard which isnt really debatable

Cause all his contemporaries say it
That folklore status of his scoring is what leads to his critiques.
When Melo was in is prime alot of fans who didn't understand basketball used to argue that he was top 5, better scorer than Kobe etc. The talk around Melo was crazy.
To be fair for a couple of years naming 5 players better than Melo was hard.

Daps
Why do we have to compare the two? I lived in NYC during the melo years. Good memories but this Knicks team is clearly much better and probably heading to the finals

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
Breh he brought that team/city a chip so even tho they are going to get bounced out of the playoffs in a couple of days — he’s still a hero and did something.

What did Melo really do in Denver? We will remember him not getting past the first round and also laying on the court while everyone kept playing around him lol.

He just wasn’t that dude but he was still a name brand player. But not someone you give the keys to and let him cook. He would’ve been great on an ensemble cast like the 2003 Pistons or even a quality sidekick.
:salute:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
The Melo "hate" comes from his game being spoken on in superlatives and some folks wondering why that didn't translate to more success.

The fact another "pure scorer" SF in KD came shortly after and occupied that lane better adds to the space for critique.

Those other great scorers weren't mad at winning game with 22 points.

That folklore status of his scoring is what leads to his critiques.

To be fair for a couple of years naming 5 players better than Melo was hard.
Yes they were, but there became a point to where no one would critique them, so it is irrelevant. Jordan would be mad if they won, because his opposite outscored him. This has been mentioned several times. Kobe got the same critiques early on, but people eventually calmed on him. Shaq always got mad if he didn't score 30, no matter what else happens, and often admitted if he didn't touch the ball on damn near every play, he wasn't playing defense or would get team TOs. You can go back and find other instances of other players saying the same thing. There's nothing wrong with wanting to win AND dominate, versus winning and not dominating. And isn't Lebron the same guy that says "check my stats" when they lose and he had a great all around game? There's no way you watched Melo play, and said he doesn't want to win. But once the media paints a narrative of any player, it's impossible for them to shake.

Chauncey, was a career role player who ultimately won a championship on a team with no one wanting to dominate. The only one that could truly do so was Sheed, and he still gets criticized for that...regardless of them winning a 'chip. And Chauncey still had his best season playing along side Melo, and they lost the series because Deron lit him up, not because Melo wasn't playing defense or playing hard.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yes they were, but there became a point to where no one would critique them, so it is irrelevant. Jordan would be mad if they won, because his opposite outscored him. This has been mentioned several times. Kobe got the same critiques early on, but people eventually calmed on him. Shaq always got mad if he didn't score 30, no matter what else happens, and often admitted if he didn't touch the ball on damn near every play, he wasn't playing defense or would get team TOs. You can go back and find other instances of other players saying the same thing. There's nothing wrong with wanting to win AND dominate, versus winning and not dominating. And isn't Lebron the same guy that says "check my stats" when they lose and he had a great all around game? There's no way you watched Melo play, and said he doesn't want to win. But once the media paints a narrative of any player, it's impossible for them to shake.

Chauncey, was a career role player who ultimately won a championship on a team with no one wanting to dominate. The only one that could truly do so was Sheed, and he still gets criticized for that...regardless of them winning a 'chip. And Chauncey still had his best season playing along side Melo, and they lost the series because Deron lit him up, not because Melo wasn't playing defense or playing hard.
Of course Melo wanted to win. But he wanted to 'get his' above everything. This mentality was in everything he did. He could have been in Miami with DWade and Bron but he wanted to 'get his', not seeing the bigger picture.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
When was Melo's rebounding shakey ?

Melo better than me cause that was some snake ass shyt chauncey did while Melo was trying to get back in the league

Shoulda smacked that colorado ass nikka

Same with Amare, Same with Phil, same with coach Karl

Melo should have slapped fire outta all them nikkas

I'm not mad at him being a honorable individual though

I don't remember what did Amare say?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Props to Brunson; the league is better when the Knicks are winning

People can get the jokes off if they want to but if you're a true fan of the game then you know Melo's ability and legacy as a pure scorer won't ever be diminished.

Arguably the most beautiful jumpshot of all time, IMO.
NBA talk is ruled by skinny jean wearing teenagers with curfews. I have to stop myself from entertaining certain arguments nowadays, the second I realize I'm arguing with someone who might genuinely think Dwight Howard is an old school center or Derrick Rose was just a really good journeyman player:skip:

Melo gets a huge ovation any time his face is shown at MSG. Some of us base memories on shyt that actually happened as oppose to whatever rhetoric is popping on social media currently.

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
tim-legler-drew-a-sad-face-over-carmelo-anthonys-sad-face.0.gif