Canibus was always overrated

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Canibus was in a very narrow lane.

He didn't "freestyle". He spit pre-written versus on most of his "freestyle" songs.

He wasn't versatile. In terms of flow. He only rapped one way most of the time, and while a lot of rappers do that, Canibus couldn't get away with it.

He didn't really know how to make songs. All he didnt was rap over beats. Wyclef tried to fix this problem, which leads to...

He didn't really know how to pick beats and create a cohesive album. All he wanted to do is rap. Didn't matter what he was rapping on, he just spit.

His image/brand wore off. Canibus came out during a period where the rap industry was changing. The post Big/Pac era was moving away from the early/mid 90's and Canibus wasn't really built for the change.

I could keep going, but Canibus simply wasn't meant to be a rap superstar or whatever you want to call it. He was never going to be that.

This was the mainstreams into to Canibus, and he didn't really stand out

Him, Master P and DMX were considered new artists.

DMX didn't have no gimmick. Meth and Redman could get away with it, because they were already established. DMX and Master P wore regular cloths. Canibus was looking corning as hell in a damn football uniform looking like a little kid :snoop: I hope that wasn't his idea.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
'Bis was definitely overrated.

But he was talented. I just had "Get Retarded" on the other day. His whole career is really a cautionary tale on how not to let other people make decisions for you. As much as people like to ignore it, Wyclef really fukked this dude over. Talked him out of taking millions from deals that would've set him up nicely for his music. And had dude in mad debt behind the deal he got for him at Universal.

Def Jam was throwing all kinds of shyt at Canibus to help him. Deals, producers, etc. He was a perfect fit for the label at that time too. But Clef wanted to oversee dude's career, so he was getting in his ear on everything and basically had him turn down things that would've led to way more success.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
'Bis was definitely overrated.

But he was talented. I just had "Get Retarded" on the other day. His whole career is really a cautionary tale on how not to let other people make decisions for you. As much as people like to ignore it, Wyclef really fukked this dude over. Talked him out of taking millions from deals that would've set him up nicely for his music. And had dude in mad debt behind the deal he got for him at Universal.

Def Jam was throwing all kinds of shyt at Canibus to help him. Deals, producers, etc. He was a perfect fit for the label at that time too. But Clef wanted to oversee dude's career, so he was getting in his ear on everything and basically had him turn down things that would've led to way more success.

He would've flopped on Def Jam too at that time. This is the same era of Def Jam that had Mega shelved, Foxy put out that Chyna White, Redman's Doc's the Name, Jayo, and Meth's Tical 0. All of those albums were all over the place.

He could definitely make songs. All of his concept songs were dope. They were never gonna be hits though. He just didn't have the appeal or the energy in his music to carry him during that era.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Imagine if he did an Illmatic?.. Primo, Pete Rock, Q-Tip..

Nah, just fukk around with Clef and make a shyt slbum

Yeah Canibus didn't have Nas versatility though. Also D'Angelo's Devil's Pie was originally for him but he turned Premier down lol. Worked out well cuz D killed that shyt.

I do kinda agree with the thread though. Not that he doesn't have talent, he def can rap his ass off, but his style just didn't age well. What seemed real complex and advanced in 97 doesn't necessarily seem that way now.

Bondye Vodou

Proud practitioner of the "High Science"
Daps
Rip the Jacker is literally one of the best ever albums in hip-hop
Its an underground classic but its far from one of the best rap albums ever.

Anyways, Bis' issue is his lack of bangers.

If he had one or two of those he would of gotten more respect.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Eminem is similar to me except Bis is at the tippy top of the rappity rap pile.

Em is up there but his actual content can't touch Bis.

I have had to look up plenty of shyt that Bus has said. Poet Laurette II still has things I am finally understanding the meaning of decades later

AND I HAVE A HUGE VOCABULARY. I'm a rapper myself and I find that people don't catch half of the punches.

So for any human to speak English on a level that makes me study is rare.

Overrated?

Underrated if anything. A Lot of his songs were not very good but almost always he puts some high level wordplay in there.

Depends on what you're into I guess. I'm into barz

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
He would've flopped on Def Jam too at that time. This is the same era of Def Jam that had Mega shelved, Foxy put out that Chyna White, Redman's Doc's the Name, Jayo, and Meth's Tical 0. All of those albums were all over the place.

He could definitely make songs. All of his concept songs were dope. They were never gonna be hits though. He just didn't have the appeal or the energy in his music to carry him during that era.

Nah, in '98, Def Jam was making sure every artist on the label sold, if they had even a little bit of buzz. For albums with literally no hit records on them. They pushed Redman to platinum and had LL dropping #1 albums again. Not just in Hip Hop, but overall. They were putting a ridiculous amount of money behind those projects, at the time. Canibus had a lot of buzz, he could've done way better on Def Jam. He went gold in a month on Universal. Def Jam could've easily pushed him to a million plus sold. '98-'00 was Def Jam's best selling year in the company's history.

The artists didn't need actual hit records during that run. People were buying more albums than ever before, during those last couple of years of the 90's. That was the time when budgets were ridiculous and sales were skyrocketing. I was at the label at the time. They were handing out production deals to rappers left and right because they could afford to. You could drop an average album on Def Jam then, and still sell mad records because the campaigns and push behind artists with buzz then, were unmatched. That's why Sticky said he made the wrong move by dropping Black Trash on Universal directly. They offered him like $500,000 more than Def Jam, but they didn't promote his album, at all. So while everyone else on Def Jam was selling mad records, Universal had both Sticky and Canibus basically paying for their own promotion and marketing. Canibus got a big advance too, but Clef ran off with that.

doggy

All Star
Daps
I actually agree with this take. Was never a fan of him and thought he was overrated. His music has not aged well. I’ll take mega or az over him any day

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
Always loved the Can-I-Bus album.

The beats were top notch and Bis was rappin' his ass off (didn't need to release 2nd Round K.O., it was an unneccessary beefage).

Irregardless... and I quote:

"Two times from the top... WHO AM I? REAL TIGHT!!! AYO, GRAB THE MIC AND MAKE THE SHIIIT SOUND TYPE!!!"

Hypenitis utilized a great sample.

Remember him wearing the Silver Tim Dunking shoes at the VMA's with the face paint to go with it. The symbology was effervescently profound (IYKYK).

And Buckingham Palace is one of the greatest rap records created. If not, songs in recorded history.

Matter of fact, i'ma run this ablum around right now at work.

:ohlawd:

Mystic

All Star
Daps
Worst possible team up in hip hop. I don't understand what he was thinking.

He should have had a first album with production from Primo, Pete, etc. Bis never seemed like he really understood what he should be doing. He needed someone to help him put together an album but not Wyclef.
Devil's pie was for Canibus first but he passed on it smh just imagine him rapping battle bars on that beat :mjcry::mjgrin: