DVD Is still King after 25 yrs

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Man who the hell still buying dvds? Is there a difference between dvd and blu ray?

I buy the Blu Ray and DVD combos.

Physical media will also be something worth buying. I can't get with the digital only wave especially in the streaming era where you're paying to rent and stuff you "own" can be removed at any time.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
The difference is a few bucks unless you buy 4K then the difference is much larger. But to answer this question I have a theory here anyway..

When you buy a DVD it's a DVD. When you buy a Blu Ray it still comes with a DVD. So even if you are buying BR's, you are getting a DVD copy.

Do studios still include the dvd? I usually just see blu + digital.

The 4ks still have the blu and thats where they put the special features

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I told cats back on SOHH that Blu-Ray would never overcome DVD. People said I was crazy and out of touch.

Yet here we are. :yeshrug:

Fred.
If streaming services & digital sales weren't a thing, do you still think that be the case?

I don't. The studios & the electronic companies would've just forced the issue like they did 4K TVs.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If streaming services & digital sales weren't a thing, do you still think that be the case?

Yeah probably, for a couple reasons.

1. Most people just don't care about HD man. Like I said, "Endgame" dropped and people were begging for blurry ass cam rips. In 2019.

2. If someone is streaming a movie or TV series, they aren't buying the Blu-Ray or DVD. So streaming would cut into both of those markets. Still, at no point did Blu-Ray over come DVDs.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think you'd have to be blind or deaf to not realize the difference from a DVD to a Blu and definitely from a DVD to a 4K blu. The picture quality is much better but the audio.. you should DEFINITELY be noticing the audio. Audio on a DVD is garbage in comparison.

I don't disagree but most people don't give a fukk. If they're interested in HD they're probably buying some bullshyt TV from Wal-Mart with questionable audio that barely meets the requirements of being HD....and they probably have no idea what 1080p, 4k, or any of those terms mean.

Granted, I mean random ass people. For example, I wear $255 Vapormax....but if you look at the best selling Nikes, it's not Vapormax. It's the cheap ass dad shoe Nikes you'd find at Shoe Carnival. Both of us are wearing Nikes but they're clearly not the same. Likewise, your HD TV isn't the same as the average person that doesn't know/care about that sort of thing.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't disagree but most people don't give a fukk. If they're interested in HD they're probably buying some bullshyt TV from Wal-Mart with questionable audio that barely meets the requirements of being HD....and they probably have no idea what 1080p, 4k, or any of those terms mean.

Granted, I mean random ass people. For example, I wear $255 Vapormax....but if you look at the best selling Nikes, it's not Vapormax. It's the cheap ass dad shoe Nikes you'd find at Shoe Carnival. Both of us are wearing Nikes but they're clearly not the same. Likewise, your HD TV isn't the same as the average person that doesn't know/care about that sort of thing.

Fred.

I don't disagree with your point. I realize most people don't care about it, I got homies that'll be like "I just saw that Endgame" and I'm like I didn't know you were going and they tell me they watched a cam version.

I look at them like a cam? :what:

But they don't care :yeshrug:

For me... I will buy whatever the best physical version is I can get because I'm into that. Most will watch whatever version is easiest.

Daps
I think you'd have to be blind or deaf to not realize the difference from a DVD to a Blu and definitely from a DVD to a 4K blu. The picture quality is much better but the audio.. you should DEFINITELY be noticing the audio. Audio on a DVD is garbage in comparison.

I think the average person probably doesn’t have the A/V setup to make huge difference. 4K doesn’t mean shyt if you’re running a 720p TV from 2009.

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
"We Should Have Bought the DVDs

:damn:"

Opinion | We Should Have Bought the DVDs

I subscribe to 11 different streaming services. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Disney+, Peacock, AMC More, the Starz add-on, the Showtime add-on and now The CW Watch, I pay a grand total of $110.32 per month to watch TV. This is a far cry from the monthly $7.99 I once paid for Netflix and Netflix alone. And it was then, staring at “110.32” on the screen of my phone’s calculator, that I decided I should have just bought the DVDs.