Everyone admits social media is the WOAT. Ban TikTok? Oh no!!

bnew

Veteran
Daps

i just went to the tiktok website with adblock turned off and clicked "continue as guest" when the popup appeared to sign in.

there's even a userscript to do it automatically so you never have to see it.

and a firefox extension

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Which brings me back to my point.

People just love how addictive, and really ...how manipulative it is.

Tiktok has no problem censoring shyt in China but people want us to believe censorship matters now?

:usure:

tiktok censors according to local laws. you want the same censorship laws they have in china?:what:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which brings me back to my point.

People just love how addictive, and really ...how manipulative it is.

Tiktok has no problem censoring shyt in China but people want us to believe censorship matters now?

:usure:

IG isn’t addictive? Facebook isn’t addictive? Twitter? Social media is addictive including YouTube. So why not ban all of it? Why just focus on Tik Tok? And Tik Tok is a Chinese product so it’s curated in a way that benefits the citizens of China…..

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IG isn’t addictive? Facebook isn’t addictive? Twitter? Social media is addictive including YouTube. So why not ban all of it? Why just focus on Tik Tok? And Tik Tok is a Chinese product so it’s curated in a way that benefits the citizens of China…..
:sas1:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
You know a lot of people who even know what an algorithm IS? Much less take that into consideration when joining a social media platform?

Be real dude.

:beli:

users know which service recommends things they are interested in better than others and which service is more conducive to getting a wider audience.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Social media is a great tool to stay up on what's going on around you.

However, most people do not use it properly so they tend to get a lot of bullshyt in their feeds and what not.

And your kids are not fukked up because of social media, they're fukked up because you're not using the parental controls that exist on damn near every electronic device that connects to the Internet, because you're fukking lazy and think your child is everyone's responsibility despite you willingly deciding to have one.

This country, despite getting older, needs to grow the fukk up.

/thread

Nothing but facts.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
And your kids are not fukked up because of social media, they're fukked up because you're not using the parental controls that exist on damn near every electronic device that connects to the Internet, because you're fukking lazy and think your child is everyone's responsibility despite you willingly deciding to have one.

:mjlol:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Yeah I don't think it's this algorithm shyt.

Tiktokkers sound like gun owners in the gun debate. They don't have any argument other than "fukk you, I like Tiktok"

I'm not buying this censorship stuff at all.

it is literally censorship, the content on tiktok gets regularly removed from other american social media sites. if the website is lawful there is no reason to ban it. they are operating with the same american business model as every other website. no one is calling for legislative bans for those websites either. stop advocating giving censorship powers to government.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
You know a lot of people who even know what an algorithm IS? Much less take that into consideration when joining a social media platform?

Be real dude.

:beli:

they know they can't find what they want and thats why mastodon has difficulty getting mass appeal right now because there isn't an algorithm steering content to users based on user activity. users have to find put it a lot more effort to find what they want and thats not the experience many are looking to do.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Alright someone explain why people can't just make the same exact TikTok content on Instagram

:why:
Im personally not a big tiktok user but its algorithm is infinite times better than instagrams

Plus instagram is heavily moderated (which I do think is a plus over tiktok) so a lot of content on tiktok wouldnt be allowed on instagram

JNew

Superstar
Daps
Social media makes people jaded.

If that’s what you want, then use it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im personally not a big tiktok user but its algorithm is infinite times better than instagrams

Plus instagram is heavily moderated (which I do think is a plus over tiktok) so a lot of content on tiktok wouldnt be allowed on instagram

What type of moderation or you referring to?