Gym brehs, come in here and post workout / diet tips that have actually worked for you

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
I haven't read any posts so I might be repeating since you probably have heard about what I'm saying :manny::

Drink a lot of water...I mean 8 liters or more, the stuff hydrates, suppresses appetite and even in some instances your dehydration can lead you to believe that you're hungry when you really aren't. The only downside is that you'll be pissing a lot but as anyone who really has lost a good deal of weight can attest to, water weight is the first thing that goes (i.e. glycogen).

If you're not really focusing on strength, focus on circuits. Personally I believe bodyweight circuits can be just as gruesome and effective as cardio so focus on that. An example of what I do:

Do your appropriate stretches:
  • 3 sets of jumping jacks (30 seconds) superset with 10 reps of crawling push-ups (you start standing then crawl into plank posting using your arms only, do a push up then walk yourself back into standing position with your hands while keeping your legs straight)
  • 30 chin ups (depending on your strength level you can do a neutral, underhand or wide grip)
  • 50 squats
  • 40 inverted rows (every time you stop switch the grip)
  • 100 push-ups
  • Superset crawling plank (done the same way as the push up above except you just go into plank on your forearms for 30 seconds or more) with 10 or more mountain climbers
Don't move on to the next workout until you have completed your reps. If you aren't :dead: after that then :leon: and do another round :jawalrus: You can also increase the reps and time if you're stronger than that as well.

Keep in mind though that building muscle is an important part of losing weight...your RMR will increase as you have more muscle mass. So eating the right things in addition to getting enough rest between sessions is key.

With that said I like PHAT even though I'm not doing it to the T. (shoutout to @krackdagawd ) I like the idea of combing hypertrophy and powerlifting, shyt keeps your body on some :dwillhuh: shyt. I add in some jump rope at the end of the days where I'm not completely :dead: I also swim at the beach around the corner from my apartment every once in a while (@Malta :umad: )

I keep it basic, I eat a lot of vegetables and protein with enough carbs. I eat steak a few times a month (aged and grass-fed) but eat chicken, fish and eggs around the clock.

I stopped doing OTC protein shakes because of the IGF-1 (insulin like growth factor) breaking out my skin, but if you have no side effects then keep doing your whey (I suggest water). I personally can't fukk with dairy too hard with the exception of the occasional pastry or scoop of ice cream. I even cut out most cheese from my diet and my skin has been clearing up :sadcam:

I am planning on buying a juicer and doing my research on what fruits and vegetables I should use for a shake that I'll like but in the meantime I'm just eating.

Caffeine does help curb one's appetite so tea can help in that regard.

Oh and supplement wise I take fish oil (EPA and DHA), three multi-vitamins from Optimum Nutrition and two BCAA capsules from Optimum Nutrition. I also take aminolytes prior to working out.

:myman:

Another one :wow:

search_results.gif

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
brehs, I'm a beginner. Ectomorph, 71kg.
where do I start from?
Do protein shakes actually work?
What should my diet be like?

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've been trying intermittent fasting with a 4 hour eating window for about a week and have lost a good amount of body fat and am looking more shredded...The IF diet works to me because it limits my food intake until 7pm-11pm and I work out early in the morning (0400-0530) and (0630-0730). And the rest of the day i sit at a desk...So all of that time between my last meal and my next meal my body is burning fat for food.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Some more jewels....

Less can be more... I used to do 5 sets on most exercises in a bulk and 3 sets in a cut. But on my last cut I made some serious fukking gains despite dropping 1-1.5lbs/week for like four months :what: So when I got some calories back in, I jumped back up to 5 sets. But that shyt was grueling, and it was taking too long to move up in reps. It took me like 6-8 weeks to add 5lbs to a lift. So I went back to the 3 set shyt... now I'm adding 5lbs to every big lift every month and I feel OK :lupe:

You don't need as much protein as you might think... in my previous cuts I was up to like 1.5g/lb BW for daily protein. I was fukking gassed :bryan: I dropped back to like 1g/lb for this cut and upped my carbs... like I said I was able to make gains. Now that I'm in a surplus I'm down even further... maybe like 140-150g/day and I weigh about 180.

Watch your waistline... weight on the scale is affected by a lot that might not actually reflect what's going on. For example the time I stop eating has a huge effect on my morning weight. Like 1 hour difference can be a lb or so. But my waist stays about the same. It's also a much more reliable indicator of fat loss. I didn't measure my waist anywhere near as often as my weight but I did do regular checks

Video tape your form... shyt can feel smooth and good but when you actually watch it it's a different bag. I had to check myself on a few lifts... butt coming up off the bench on BB bench, not getting full ROM on my pulling motions , too much body English on some accessories etc.... check yourself before you wreck yourself :ufdup: