Hip Hop "Fans" That Hate On Sampling..When Did This Start?

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
If you could, could you point me to some of Mannie songs before the 500 degrees "Way of Life" that he sampled and used for CMR?

I don't recall Fresh sampling songs pre-500 degrees and I don't think he had any samples on The Carter 1 (maybe the Al Green song) that's 2 songs.

Baby wasn't very cool with paying for samples, but if you can provide some more songs that Fresh sampled from again pre-Carter 1

I always thought Fresh used 1 sample which was "Way of Life"

Nah Fresh sampled a lot in the early CMR days. Bunch of samples on the Lil Slim, PxMxWx and Pimp Daddy album

Go through the pre Hot Boys era albums and you'll find a bunch of samples. It's a lot of gems Fresh did from like 92-95. I tell people the OG CMR catalog is underated

Once they got with Universal though they really stopped after that though.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps

Nah Fresh sampled a lot in the early CMR days. Bunch of samples on the Lil Slim, PxMxWx and Pimp Daddy album

Go through the pre Hot Boys era albums and you'll find a bunch of samples. It's a lot of gems Fresh did from like 92-95. I tell people the OG CMR catalog is underated

Once they got with Universal though they really stopped after that though.

That's really not sampling, it is by definition but that's pretty much taking a track and putting a bounce beat/pattern under it.
Like this

I was more speaking on an actual song like "The Way of Life" with a real bass-line.

I mean, I can say he did that, (which it is done today heavy here) we put a bounce/trigga man beat under a popular record and record it.

That trigga man beat is a staple for the NO. But I wouldn't go as far as saying Fresh sampled.

Same thing here:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Fresh sampling: and it was stated that this was the 1st song that he used a sample on.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
I never hear about this in big groups talking about rap. Only on here do I see the dumbest shyt posted. Sample are fine, and some of your favorite tracks use samples, big whoop, music is music. If you make me enjoy something sonically, that's all that should matter. Being a purist in anything never works, at some point you're gonna be chasing the same ol car. I'm good, I like new sounds or old sounds produced and formulated in a new way....its called nuance, so many people on here have no idea what that means of course.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, and even beyond hip-hop, all good art is based on previous art. I don't know why people act like it's different with music. great movie directors pay homage and use styles from the past, and tweak them, or recycle them. Writers use it for books, short stories, screenplays. Artists do it with paintings and drawings.

We don't consider a lot of this stuff to be stealing, yet when it's music/audio, people jump all aboard the stealing train.

FWIW I do think people are starting to appreciate sampling more and more.
Where we differ though is I see this as brehs applying a pretty liberal take to the old phrase "Good artist's steal".

When writers write short stories, books or screenplays they aren't literally take someone else's material and tweaking it.
When artists paint paintings they may all use similar techniques, have access to the same colors etc. but where
they differ is what they do with these materials.
In Music it's the same thing ! There's really no difference here.

IP is a real thing in all of these realms and if people feel you're infringing on their material you can't just say
"Oh well, I thought Frodo & the ring needed a new perspective" or "I thought it'd be cool to retell the story
with uncle ben staying alive and aunt may dying". Especially if you're trying to sell new works based on
these original works.

I mean hell Nintendo fiercely protects their IP's and will shut down FREE STUFF let alone fully purchasable titles.

You need PERMISSION and music works the SAME WAY.

Again, sampling is dope, but brehs are really downplaying WHY someone would have to or even want to
protect their art.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
For those that don't know. Led Zepplin are the biggest biters in music history. They done stole entire songs, lyrics, sounds and tried to pass them on as entirely original ideas. Sometimes blatant covers of other artists passing off as an original. They've been sued for millions.

90% of the artists they jacked are black too.

facts

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
The sampling I find myself being most blown away by are cats like Dilla or Just Blaze who can take a large portion of a track and just completely rearrange it into something new. Some of those Just Blaze flips, especially the epic ones have me like ":mindblown:". Even if they're leaving the loops relatively untouched, the understanding of sequencing and progression is on another level.

late post and I'm prolly bumping this thread, but this post reminded me of the first time I heard where the Hovi Baby sample came from. :mjgrin: