Hip Hop "Fans" That Hate On Sampling..When Did This Start?

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I can seget madlib not giving a fukk.

I also wonder if a reason why he and alchemist and oh no started going into sampling indie bands from Eastern Europe, Ethiopia, etc, is to make it harder for samples to get noticed?
Knxwledge is another that doesn't seem like he cares too much

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I keep hearing that name, I gotta check that guy out.
He did Momma on To Pimp A Butterfly. His most notable project is probably Yes Lawd with Anderson Paak. But he puts out multiple beat tapes a year with pretty much nothing but sample beats

This is one of my favorite beats by him

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Nothing wrong with looping as long is it sounds fly. Not like Dilla didn't loop up the ltd chorus for much more or Erick sermon with the Eric Clapton I shot the sheriff shyt, or most notable in my head at least love tko intro getting looped up for back in the day
Yeah, samples work as references too. Sometimes you gotta let the shyt breathe. There's chop up sampling and remix sampling, and both have their place. I think as long as its not the exact same tempo and drums it's dope

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looping is pretty much the foundational cornerstone of hip hop.

Breakbeats.

Hip hop isn't rocket science. The genius lies in the simplicity.

Then you had brehs who came through later and really advanced sampling. :havdahell:

There's no difference between playing a guitar and looping a guitar. A guitar only produces but so many sounds. Classic rock songs aren't premised on how technically complex the guitar playing is. (I'm out of my wheelhouse here but that's my understanding). It's all about arrangement. That's what Sampling is.
I think that doesn't really apply once you get to the 70's
or even the late 60's effects pedals were coming into
play which altered the timbral aspects of the guitar
all of a sudden you have fuzz, wah, distortion etc.

That's without the natural variation an actual instrument
has vs a sample or the harmonic and melodic possibilities
that come into play once you look at the major scale, it's modes
and the dozens of exotic scales that exist separately from that.

The guitar with its 2 and a half octaves is quite the versatile instrument, alone it can fill several roles especially once looping
is involved. It's quite different from looping someone else's
guitar playing, especially if you don't have to come up with the
chord progression yourself.

Things get considerably more complex when you have to consider
other aspects of song writing like arranging strings or horns yourself vs simply sampling them. There are things real Instruments can do that a sample never can much like there are things a sample can do which are physically impossible.

But yeah, original music can be inspired by sampling.
There are things that Robert Glasper does that are directly
inspired by the looping of piano chords by Dilla or that his
drummer does that are directly inspired by Pete Rock and so
on.

I don't think sampling is useless but I do think it's importance is being
overstated. We're at a point that I personally think sampling should
be used with original works (it's been done and it works !)

That way you get the best of both worlds.
No royalties and the unique aesthetic that comes from
sampled music.

Daps
You're right...Sample choices in some of those big records back then sorta ruined the reputation of sampling among the more casual Hip Hop fans who aren't pivy to the production side of things...Everyone heard that Isley Brothers joint growing up and to hear the track hardly touched, and just with a synth on top of it...It wasn't something "new" in their eyes. It was an obvious loop of an obvious and popular throwback joint.

Ice Cube did it before Biggie with Today Was a Good Day.

Daps
its some wild hipster way of lookin at rap music...fukkin weirdos....and i guarantee 99% of these nikkas luv records that use samples....they're just too stupid to recognize em...

i hate these nikkas

Probably those fakkits who buy cassette tapes

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
Yeah, and even beyond hip-hop, all good art is based on previous art. I don't know why people act like it's different with music. great movie directors pay homage and use styles from the past, and tweak them, or recycle them. Writers use it for books, short stories, screenplays. Artists do it with paintings and drawings.

We don't consider a lot of this stuff to be stealing, yet when it's music/audio, people jump all aboard the stealing train.

FWIW I do think people are starting to appreciate sampling more and more.
Like Jean Michel Basquiat once said.."If you wanna talk about influence man..then you've got to realize that influence is not influence..It's simply someone's idea going through my new mind"

As far as looping samples..I don't really mind it..I remember watching a Diamond D interview frm a few yrs ago & he was downplaying the beats on his Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop album.."They were just loops" :mindblown:
Loop or not..that Sally Got A One Track Mind sample is genius

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Like Jean Michel Basquiat once said.."If you wanna talk about influence man..then you've got to realize that influence is not influence..It's simply someone's idea going through my new mind"

As far as looping samples..I don't really mind it..I remember watching a Diamond D interview frm a few yrs ago & he was downplaying the beats on his Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop album.."They were just loops" :mindblown:
Loop or not..that Sally Got A One Track Mind sample is genius

Some of the greatest Hip Hop songs ever are just loops. At the same time I've heard plenty of beats that were chopped into 100 pieces that are garbage.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
It started after Biggie died, when Diddy/Mase was blowing up. When they was taking easily recognizable hit records and just looping them.

It kinda broke when he sampled Led Zepplin's "Kasmir" for "Come With Me" off the Godzilla soundtrack. SOOO much shyt was talked about that song.

You see the No ID quote where he was talking about how he heard quincy jones claim that music nowadays was just "4 bar loops"?

Would have to agree with this. People got tired of rappers sampling nearly entire songs.

Which reminds me, Juju On The Beat :dead:that was fukking pathetic