Hip Hop "Fans" That Hate On Sampling..When Did This Start?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Looping is pretty much the foundational cornerstone of hip hop.

Breakbeats.

Hip hop isn't rocket science. The genius lies in the simplicity.

Then you had brehs who came through later and really advanced sampling. :havdahell:

There's no difference between playing a guitar and looping a guitar. A guitar only produces but so many sounds. Classic rock songs aren't premised on how technically complex the guitar playing is. (I'm out of my wheelhouse here but that's my understanding). It's all about arrangement. That's what Sampling is.
Yeah, and even beyond hip-hop, all good art is based on previous art. I don't know why people act like it's different with music. great movie directors pay homage and use styles from the past, and tweak them, or recycle them. Writers use it for books, short stories, screenplays. Artists do it with paintings and drawings.

We don't consider a lot of this stuff to be stealing, yet when it's music/audio, people jump all aboard the stealing train.

FWIW I do think people are starting to appreciate sampling more and more.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Producers used to sample shyt so good that it took years before anybody knew what was sampled. I liked some of the songs from the bad boy days but they were some cheap ass hits. The way we go crazy when some DJ plays the original and then play the song that sampled it is what hiphop is about. It's boring if I can recognize the sample like 5 seconds later and shyt

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Producers used to sample shyt so good that it took years before anybody knew what was sampled. I liked some of the songs from the bad boy days but they were some cheap ass hits. The way we go crazy when some DJ plays the original and then play the song that sampled it is what hiphop is about. It's boring if I can recognize the sample like 5 seconds later and shyt

Facts...Lazy sampling has always been my pet peeve.

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
:stopitslime: yall basic ass fukk in this forum - sampling is a large part of hip hop - but as time grows and producers keep using the same fukking sample over and over and fukking over again "some of yall "coli" nikkas still be like, "Did you hear that production from such and such?", the way he flipped it:wow:had me:blessed:, and that part where it reverts back to the melody:whew:" (lt be a literal "basic" ass loop too:stopitslime: )i swear he's the best producer ever to grace a mpc:ohlawd: (most of the producers yall stan literally just adds drums to music that was already "assembled":scust: "orchestrated":gucci: "Composed":comeon: "SCORED":martin: - I aint knocking producers who sample by any means but when yall constantly bigging these dudes up when they literally making basic ass beats:snoop:shyt needs to stop foreal

DJ Premier? RZA? Dilla? Which producers you talking bout?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Manny Fresh came from a sample dependent BOUNCE background, and he still samples.
Keyboard producers used to be cheesy and overly digitized, so their selling point was "musicianship" and "you don't have to clear".. playing INTERPOLATIONS of previously recorded material, and making them sound worse, since tech wasn't up to par back then.

If you could, could you point me to some of Mannie songs before the 500 degrees "Way of Life" that he sampled and used for CMR?

I don't recall Fresh sampling songs pre-500 degrees and I don't think he had any samples on The Carter 1 (maybe the Al Green song) that's 2 songs.

Baby wasn't very cool with paying for samples, but if you can provide some more songs that Fresh sampled from again pre-Carter 1

I always thought Fresh used 1 sample which was "Way of Life"