Hip Hop "Fans" That Hate On Sampling..When Did This Start?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
That's a WOAT Jay z beat
Wow. I agree it's not the best raps on it. When I heard the beat I thought it worked better with no rapping on it, or maybe a different rapper or different style. Maybe Freeway on there.

I definitely like the beat more without raps on it.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
It started after Biggie died, when Diddy/Mase was blowing up. When they was taking easily recognizable hit records and just looping them.
You're right...Sample choices in some of those big records back then sorta ruined the reputation of sampling among the more casual Hip Hop fans who aren't pivy to the production side of things...Everyone heard that Isley Brothers joint growing up and to hear the track hardly touched, and just with a synth on top of it...It wasn't something "new" in their eyes. It was an obvious loop of an obvious and popular throwback joint.
Sampling/DJing started as exactly that, and if anything Diddy was taking it back to the classic OG days. So it's kinda doubly backwards that he got a ton of flack, but it is what it is. Plus, Biz was getting his t*ts sued off at the time, so maybe people thought Diddy's sampling was just him showing off he could afford any sample he wanted.

Or have you forgotten?

People knew that was Chic back in the day, and that's what made it dope.

It's still funny to remember around 10-15 years ago, seeing bumperstickers that read "Drum machines have no soul" :dead:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Still wonder how much jackin for beats would cost today.... hell all bomb squad songs for thst matter
The main thing is that sampling laws haven't changed a lot as much as they be been clarified and people are more trigger-happy with lawsuits. A Lotta those NYC producers operated on "don't clear it and hope we don't get sued" and then nikkas started getting sued into oblivion. Plus as these older artists die off you start having to deal with estates and those motherfukkers are stingy. Independent cats like Madlib still don't clear shyt.

That's why Premo had the outro on Royalty going in on people revealing samples lol

Therht

Pro
Daps
It started after Biggie died, when Diddy/Mase was blowing up. When they was taking easily recognizable hit records and just looping them.

It kinda broke when he sampled Led Zepplin's "Kasmir" for "Come With Me" off the Godzilla soundtrack. SOOO much shyt was talked about that song.

You see the No ID quote where he was talking about how he heard quincy jones claim that music nowadays was just "4 bar loops"?

Realist shyt you ever wrote :wow:

Ian1362

david ruffin in the flesh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Nothing wrong with looping as long is it sounds fly. Not like Dilla didn't loop up the ltd chorus for much more or Erick sermon with the Eric Clapton I shot the sheriff shyt, or most notable in my head at least love tko intro getting looped up for back in the day

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
Samples are the foundation. Thats why i hate most the trap shyt cuz its sinple chords trippe hi hats and 808. Finished. Lazy sampling is a disease.

Me and my boy been making beats together for 12 years now and we take a different approach to sampling.

He will take a sample and conpletely disguise it by playing milliseconds of different parts. Hell end up with a nice 16 bar phrase with no identifiable sounds. This is whete i thought sampling would have went but we still arent there yet. Madlib does this type dudes a genius.

Me, im a sucker for a simple loop. If a 4x4 or 3x4 section can be looped and thus repeated the entire song AND you DONt get tired of it no matter how many times ut repeat...thats hip hop to me. Of course i try not to sample obvious joints but i will if its dope enough and hasnt been done.

Btw j cole needs to STOP sampling classic hip hop sampsoes everyones done. I hear that shyt from him way too much.

Daps
J Cole does sampling right when hes doing it like he did on HiiPower (most people wouldnt be able to tell the 3 songs he sampled to make that beat)

Sampling is way too expensive these days so if you're not a big name like Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Ye , Hov.. I dont think your label is paying to clear the sample

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I was watching an interview where he was talking about all the lawsuits he had against him. Didn't seem all that concerned about it though lol
I can seget madlib not giving a fukk.

I also wonder if a reason why he and alchemist and oh no started going into sampling indie bands from Eastern Europe, Ethiopia, etc, is to make it harder for samples to get noticed?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
J Cole does sampling right when hes doing it like he did on HiiPower (most people wouldnt be able to tell the 3 songs he sampled to make that beat)

Sampling is way too expensive these days so if you're not a big name like Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Ye , Hov.. I dont think your label is paying to clear the sample
On the other hand, a lot of indie releases don't even bother clearing samples. A lot of these releases wouldn't be able to pay the sample owners anyways.

The new Sean Price album for example. It's 95% sampled beats at least and I don't think anything on it is cleared.