Hip Hop "Fans" That Hate On Sampling..When Did This Start?

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Op, you could've used a better example than fukking J Cole to make your argument like

Dilla
DJ shadow
RZA
Mannie Fresh

What? I used J Cole as an example of lazy producing where the producer just loops obvious samples....No way Dilla and RZA falls in that line.

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps

What? I used J Cole as an example of lazy producing where the producer just loops obvious samples....No way Dilla and RZA falls in that line.

i just saw that and was about to correct my self. that's what i get for skimming over the OP. and yeah Cole is awful at sampling

sampling is an art in itself. i think what ruined a lot of people's perception of it was the late 90s and 00s looping. not enough chopping and being creative with it

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
This is the major thing that did it.

...and this happened because of what the threadstarter said - when the samples started costing hella money,
then the ARTISTS started hating on sampling. So when the artists started hating on it, the PRODUCERS started
hating it because they had to switch up or die.

So when the artists and producers have decimated that artform, more and more fans don't see the virtue in it.

I really do think this was the main reason Puff was on it so heavy. It was like saying "look yall I got the money to clear this David Bowie sample!"

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Justice League also did that shyt where they said they didn't same but always did.
When you trickle down it just becomes semantics. Cats who are producers in the more traditional sense, where they hire musicians to compose and play some shyt and then arrange it into a hip-hop song structure, are in essence sampling too, it's just stuff they commissioned rather than an existing work.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Looping is pretty much the foundational cornerstone of hip hop.

Breakbeats.

Hip hop isn't rocket science. The genius lies in the simplicity.

Then you had brehs who came through later and really advanced sampling. :havdahell:

There's no difference between playing a guitar and looping a guitar. A guitar only produces but so many sounds. Classic rock songs aren't premised on how technically complex the guitar playing is. (I'm out of my wheelhouse here but that's my understanding). It's all about arrangement. That's what Sampling is.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, Neptunes especially have tons of songs that are inspired by older tracks. Two Clipse examples:

Keys Open Doors:

And I can't find the original, but Ride Around Shining is based on whatever song The Pharcyde sampled for Devil Music:

First one sounds like Aint Cha. Props for this. Interested in more examples - I know they did it with the Marvin Gaye joint for that TI & Thicke song they got sued for.

The Lupe & Cole examples aren't samples - they are more straight up remakes.

I love sampling. I love music. I love creativity. Sometimes a simple loop with minimal interference is the perfect beat. Sometimes you need something entirely original with a massive band to play it. Truthfully, the best producers just have a great ear for music. So they use whatever they have if it fits - they'll do it.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Mainly by Led Zepplin fans which is ironic and low key hilarious in hindsight.
For those that don't know. Led Zepplin are the biggest biters in music history. They done stole entire songs, lyrics, sounds and tried to pass them on as entirely original ideas. Sometimes blatant covers of other artists passing off as an original. They've been sued for millions.

90% of the artists they jacked are black too.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Oh and as corny as this sounds. Everything is a sample. Everything is a remix. Originality is pretty rare in any situation.

As time goes on, more and more songs will have to break bread with older artists because it will have some familiarity somewhere. The saying no idea is original is true. Creativity is how you put it all together. Very few ideas are entirely original.

Clipse - Grindin - that entire beat is made from Korg preset sounds. All of it. This is a pure example of sampling the instrument (the instrument being the Korg keyboard with stock sounds). Anyone could've made that beat, all the sounds are there.

This Ed Sheran record, has no direct samples but it's obviously (too obvious - he got sued) is inspired greatly by No Scrubs

Blurred Lives & Got to give it Up

For me Scott Storch is one of the greatest musicians to grace hip hop. And his greatest work sounds like an interpolation of these keys