Ice Cube Shares His Thoughts On Ghostwriting

Trapped

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, I am always against ghostwriting, like dude said, especially in rap. How could you take 2Pac's deepest verses seriously, knowing that some other dude wrote it?

I understand it for other genres like pop or R&B, but rap used to be about expressing yourself, your own thoughts and feelings on the record. So for me, ghostwriting is still shameful in terms of rappers being credible to their audience. You are making money off of another man's work to make yourself look good. To me that's Milli Vanilli type of shyt.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Ain't no one said anything about ANYONE not writing the majority of their raps. Damn why y'all niccas always go from 0 to 100? People been pointing to a few ghostwritten verses to say Hip Hop is dead and all people in the industry is saying is that collaboration happens. Nas has used ghostwritten verses here and there but he's still a lyrical beast. What is so hard to understand?

They gonna be mad you said this bruh

You gonna need reference tracks to prove what most people should already know with these guys:mjpls:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Honestly, I am always against ghostwriting, like dude said, especially in rap. How could you take 2Pac's deepest verses seriously, knowing that some other dude wrote it?

I understand it for other genres like pop or R&B, but rap used to be about expressing yourself, your own thoughts and feelings on the record. So for me, ghostwriting is still shameful in terms of rappers being credible to their audience. You are making money off of another man's work to make yourself look good. To me that's Milli Vanilli type of shyt.

Because he probably wrote his deepest, personal shyt.

But if it's a track like "California Love" I wouldn't be surprised if he had a CO-WRITER... Still doesn't take away from no one else being able to make that song as dope or as lit as Pac did.

And I'm not saying anyone assisted on that btw but Yall really need to check the writing credits on some tracks or do your googles. A lot of shyt is hearsay because it's just not talked about, it's understood or if people admitted to doing it/having it done.

That's like asking who added synths/percussion to a classic beat. Kanye might've made it but brought in Mike Will for a different sound... Still doesn't mean Ye not a great producer

TruDatz

All Star
Daps
The more successful the artist the more song writing credits you will see....

Cassidy

“I know how that go, I’m so used to it its not shocking to me if a nikka got somebody writing a hook or writing verses or giving them bars. A lot of times these dudes can rap themselves or write themselves, but they be using ideas and flip it their own way to make it hot because a lot of times they have more to focus on than just writing.”

6:22

MrFettuccinnePockets

#TeamGuapele
Supporter
Daps
I know he wrote for people but I read somewhere that Jeru wrote It Was A Good Day. Not lying..I asked a question. I'm happy if it's not true :manny:

:ehh: fair enough. These nikkas been outta control lately. To many of them lying to bring down everybody elses integrity because Drake got exposed.

Seen people say Pac had writers:deadmanny:

TruDatz

All Star
Daps
They gonna be mad you said this bruh

You gonna need reference tracks to prove what most people should already know with these guys:mjpls:

Why? is that new to people? This already been talked about to death tho! SMH At the end of the day, I don't care who helped on that Untitled album. Nas is 100% responsible for my favorite records, most of them earlier in his career. No one can deny his talent.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Example number 3244332 of an industry guy further dispelling the coli myth of ghostwriting being uncommon.. But dudes are so stubborn that they gonna spin this into him being pc or some other conspiracy bs

I don't think most of the dudes that are bashing Drake for having ghostwriters ever said that ghostwriting wasn't common in hip hop. Dudes just stating that it used to be frowned upon if you considered yourself, or if others considered you, an elite MC.

MrFettuccinnePockets

#TeamGuapele
Supporter
Daps
Because he probably wrote his deepest, personal shyt.

But if it's a track like "California Love" I wouldn't be surprised if he had a CO-WRITER... Still doesn't take away from no one else being able to make that song as dope or as lit as Pac did.

And I'm not saying anyone assisted on that btw but Yall really need to check the writing credits on some tracks or do your googles. A lot of shyt is hearsay because it's just not talked about, it's understood or if people admitted to doing it/having it done.

That's like asking who added synths/percussion to a classic beat. Kanye might've made it but brought in Mike Will for a different sound... Still doesn't mean Ye not a great producer

Now Pac got co writers :dead:.

When all else fails just lie.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
How could you take 2Pac's deepest verses seriously, knowing that some other dude wrote it?

*looks at screen name* :patrice:

Ray Luv was one of Tupac’s closest friends during the time he lived in the Bay Area. “Trapped” was actually a song that I wrote, but I just didn’t feel the vibe. I crumpled it up and thew it away. Just part of it was stickn’ out of the garbage can and this n*gga came in, and we were sitting there hella high. Tupac pulled the paper out of the garbage, started reading it, and he said, “Ah, this is dope. What the fu*k you throw this away for?” I told him I didn’t want it. He asked if he could have it. He read it and was like, ‘Man, this sh*t is dope.’ So I gave it to him. It was purely on love. I wasn’t looking for no bread. Later he called me up and told me he had just recorded it as a single. He said ‘We want it to be the first fu*kn’ single.’ And then he told me he was gonna shoot me a couple G’s, which he did, and we was even.” -@TheRealRayLuv