I'm in supply chain dealing with the fukkery AMA; Update: Chip shortage until at least 2022

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
It’s all about playing the game
#Autos US auto corps last month cut production, claiming chip shortage. Infrastructure bill gives them $50B subsidy for chips. Suddenly, GM & other US auto corps now find way to boost output. Where's the chip shortage? Maybe never existed. All about lobbying for $50B subsidy

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Guessing the supply chains ain't gonna be back to normal until either late this year or next year

Update: still not back to normal and in some cases (electronics) it is getting worse in some areas. Based on what I have been dealing with here is some advice.

Christmas Shopping: Start now and be done by Halloween latest. Whatever isn't already in port may not make it so stock outs of popular items are going to be permanent. Or get everyone gift cards to buy stuff when it is available

Also, Christmas prices will go up more and more closer to December. Because of the ocean shipping mess everyone is switching to air freight which is more expensive and now getting even more expensive due to demand. They are going to likely have to pass this on.

Below is an image of the anchored ships outside the Port of Long Beach, CA. Just the anchored ones, not the ones arriving. It is congested as hell and not getting better
LvavRyL.png

Car Stuff: If you don't have a car on order with someone, good luck. Used car inventories are still bad and the rental car companies are no longer selling into the used market as much since they can't get a reliable supply of new cars.

1) If you need a car repair, plan on the part possibly not being available or taking 2-6 weeks to arrive. If you don't have to do OEM, aftermarket may (or maybe not) be available or worst case go to the junkyard like back in the day.

2) If you are planning to travel and rent a car, reserve it at least two weeks in advance, 4 weeks in advance for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Inventories are tight and some people who book at the last minute may not get cars

Electronics: We have some stuff going into late 2022 or even 2023 now. If there is a gadget you want, including a phone upgrade, do it now. Even if not available you will be put on the list for when stuff gets in. Grabbing popular stuff right off the shelf is going to be increasingly harder.

Watch out for counterfeits since these are booming with supply issues.

Thanksgiving: I deal with food wholesalers too. Turkey production is down about 1% compared to last year but the bigger deal is the logistics and meat packing capacity. Frozen turkey is going to go up at least 15% this year. Stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. may have similar issues so since those are shelf stable, might as well grab them now. Pre-order a turkey maybe too, especially if you want a small one.Consumer Reports just did an article on this too:
There's No Turkey Shortage. But You Still Should Start Your Thanksgiving Prep Now.

Local turkey/pig/chicken farms may sell direct. It won't be cheap and usually stocks out all the time but it gives you more flexibility.

Heating Bills: I procure natural gas too (go figure). Northeast US/New England is going to likely be fukked this summer, especially if it gets real cold in Jan/Feb. You are competing with pricing for LNG export to Europe and Asia which is much higher than the USA. If your utility allows you to lock in forward rates or shop for someone who can, consider it though make sure your contract doesn't have a clause where they can pass higher prices to you if the provider's hedge blows up.

Hardware Stuff: Comes out of Asia on ships. High volume stuff may be ok but if you need anything specialized I would get it now for any DIY stuff you may want to do.

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Update: still not back to normal and in some cases (electronics) it is getting worse in some areas. Based on what I have been dealing with here is some advice.

Christmas Shopping: Start now and be done by Halloween latest. Whatever isn't already in port may not make it so stock outs of popular items are going to be permanent. Or get everyone gift cards to buy stuff when it is available

Also, Christmas prices will go up more and more closer to December. Because of the ocean shipping mess everyone is switching to air freight which is more expensive and now getting even more expensive due to demand. They are going to likely have to pass this on.

Below is an image of the anchored ships outside the Port of Long Beach, CA. Just the anchored ones, not the ones arriving. It is congested as hell and not getting better
LvavRyL.png

Car Stuff: If you don't have a car on order with someone, good luck. Used car inventories are still bad and the rental car companies are no longer selling into the used market as much since they can't get a reliable supply of new cars.

1) If you need a car repair, plan on the part possibly not being available or taking 2-6 weeks to arrive. If you don't have to do OEM, aftermarket may (or maybe not) be available or worst case go to the junkyard like back in the day.

2) If you are planning to travel and rent a car, reserve it at least two weeks in advance, 4 weeks in advance for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Inventories are tight and some people who book at the last minute may not get cars

Electronics: We have some stuff going into late 2022 or even 2023 now. If there is a gadget you want, including a phone upgrade, do it now. Even if not available you will be put on the list for when stuff gets in. Grabbing popular stuff right off the shelf is going to be increasingly harder.

Thanksgiving: I deal with food wholesalers too. Turkey production is down about 1% compared to last year but the bigger deal is the logistics and meat packing capacity. Frozen turkey is going to go up at least 15% this year. Stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. may have similar issues so since those are shelf stable, might as well grab them now. Pre-order a turkey maybe too, especially if you want a small one.Consumer Reports just did an article on this too:
There's No Turkey Shortage. But You Still Should Start Your Thanksgiving Prep Now.

Local turkey/pig/chicken farms may sell direct. It won't be cheap and usually stocks out all the time but it gives you more flexibility.

Heating Bills: I procure natural gas too (go figure). Northeast US/New England is going to likely be fukked this summer, especially if it gets real cold in Jan/Feb. You are competing with pricing for LNG export to Europe and Asia which is much higher than the USA. If your utility allows you to lock in forward rates or shop for someone who can, consider it though make sure your contract doesn't have a clause where they can pass higher prices to you if the provider's hedge blows up.

Hardware Stuff: Comes out of Asia on ships. High volume stuff may be ok but if you need anything specialized I would get it now for any DIY stuff you may want to do.

Dapped on the insight

But breh whatever your job is, it sounds :ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd:

Sounds like companies coming to you like :damn::damn::damn::damn: and you have to make them miracles work

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.

LvavRyL.png

Yeah.. it’s getting worst over with the seafood business. Still raising prices and I’m dealing with customers either closing up shop or reducing orders or resorting to cheaper substitutes. For example, crab meat is ranging from 30 to 50 dollars a lb at the moment, that’s typical lobster prices. Tuna, swordfish, lobster, clams, oysters, etc..all of it going up and it’s getting harder and harder to source it. Folks absolutely have no idea how difficult it’s getting for food to make it from source to shelf to your table.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
damn, i must've not been posting when this thread was made.
i got a couple of things to speak on but first of all props to @DrBanneker for this dope thread.

June 2020 i upgrade my GPU because my unemployment finally came in.
went from a 970 to a 1070 :win:
slowly, quarantine life starts to settle in and i tell my girl that i want to build her a PC in the living room so she can use the TV as her monitor.
eventually i convinced her that it was a good investment. got her an i5 9600k, 16 gigs of ddr4 and gave her my old 970.

then around September of 2020 my motherboard died. it had a good run of about 5-6 years.
welp, time to build a new PC! got another i5 9600k and 32 gigs of ddr4 ram.

yo...if this had happened just a few months after it did, i would have been super :sadbron:
i lucked the fukk out. my gpu is over 5 years old and selling for more than double the MSI right now.
crazy.

about the supply chain of the food...:whew:
i live in an area of NYS that is popping with farms and cattle, much of the stuff in stores is local.
hopefully that helps me weather the coming storm.