Issa Rae's "Awkward Black Girl" Struggling to Gain Footing on HBO/Aspiring Writers Read

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not a fan of the YouTube series, but I think it's an interesting look at black writers/creators in Hollywood.

Her own show was an instant hit online in 2011, and soon a number of networks and production companies expressed interest in adapting ‘‘Awkward Black Girl’’ for prime-time TV. To Rae’s disappointment, most wanted to completely rework the show. Rae recalls a phone conversation with a network executive who wanted to make it into a pan-racial franchise operation, starting with ‘‘Awkward Indian Boy.’’ Another suggested Rae recast the lead with a lighter-skinned actress with long, straight hair — in essence, the exact opposite of Rae. She turned down the offers.

‘‘They wanted to make it as broad as possible, broadly niche, but I was like: No, that’s not what this is about,’’ she says. Another botched opportunity came in the summer of 2012 with Shonda Rhimes and Rhimes’s production partner, Betsy Beers. Rae pitched them a show called ‘‘I Hate L.A. Dudes,’’ a comedy about a woman trying to date preening, image-obsessed men in Hollywood. Rhimes and Beers loved it so much that they sold it to ABC. But Rae had trouble getting the script ready for pilot-reading season that winter. She recalls fielding constant, sometimes overlapping and contradictory notes from the network and Rhimes’s team. (Rhimes declined to be interviewed for this story.) In the end, her treatment fell short of expectations, and the pilot wasn’t picked up. ‘‘I compromised my vision, and it didn’t end up the show that I wanted,’’ she says. ‘‘It wasn’t funny anymore.’’

Rae happened to share a management firm, 3 Arts, with the actor and writer Larry Wilmore, and it arranged for Wilmore to walk her through the screenwriting process. Before he joined Comedy Central, Wilmore had a hand in practically every black television show of note: ‘‘In Living Color,’’ ‘‘The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,’’ ‘‘The Jamie Foxx Show,’’ ‘‘The Bernie Mac Show,’’ ‘‘The PJs,’’ ‘‘Sister, Sister’’ and even the short-lived ‘‘Whoopi.’’ He spent a month interviewing Rae. They would sit for hours on his building’s rooftop in downtown Los Angeles. ‘‘I asked her what was going on in her life, what’s important to her, her sex life, what she thinks about, and we built the show out of that,’’ Wilmore says. ‘‘She had the ideas for characters, and we created a world around them.’’ They wrote the first script in eight days and revised it over the following weeks.

HBO approved the script for ‘‘Insecure’’ in the fall of 2013. Rae was excited to hire a support staff of other nonwhite writers and producers who would be intimately familiar with the milieu inhabited by her characters. She had a wish list of people she liked — primarily young women of color — but she soon found out HBO had little interest in hiring them. Generally, an HBO spokeswoman said, the network wants people who have experience.:mjpls:

While I agree with not wanting your show's essence lost in the production, you have to know how maneuver in a room full of vultures. I would have to let them spin ABG into Awkard Indian Boy, etc and eat off the production credits. :manny: Sometimes to win the war you have to lose some battles.
Looks like Shonda Rhimes :mjpls:might have peaced her out, but her shows aren't exactly great reflections of black culture anyway, so.

It's a good look at how these studios and networks refuse to hire minority writers under the guise of not having enough experience. Kind of hard to get experience when no one is hiring :mjpls:.

Long read, but worth it.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/magazine/the-misadventures-of-issa-rae.html?_r=1&referrer=

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not a fan of the YouTube series, but I think it's an interesting look at black writers/creators in Hollywood.

While I agree with not wanting your show's essence lost in the production, you have to know how maneuver in a room full of vultures. I would have to let them spin ABG into Awkard Indian Boy, etc and eat off the production credits. :manny: Sometimes to win the war you have to lose some battles.
When it comes to a form of art, sometimes it ain't about the money

Numero Deux

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it blows my mind how white people STILL seem to have all this control over EVERYTHING!
what the fukk kinda sorcery is going on here? :mindblown:

so demonic
It's crazy how we can't even write our own stories, that's why I appreciate Power.

I wondered why I didn't like Survivor's Remorse when I first saw it, then I realized it was written and created by Mike O'malley :stopitslime: from Guts. Even though I heard it was stolen :sas2:

Its like come on, Lebron. You couldn't get a black writing staff to produce that? No wonder it sucks.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
It's crazy how we can't even write our own stories, that's why I appreciate Power.

I wondered why I didn't like Survivor's Remorse when I first saw it, then I realized it was written and created by Mike O'malley :stopitslime: from Guts. Even though I heard it was stolen :sas2:

Its like come on, Lebron. You couldn't get a black writing staff to produce that? No wonder it sucks.
i actually kinda like that show
but yeah, the fact still remains...
why white people gotta have the strong hand in EVERYTHING?!
shyt dont even make sense
like the NBA
no disrespect to Jerry West and all that but a basically BLACK fukkin league with some whiteboy as the logo in 2015? :deadmanny:
Amerikkka just aint the spot no more for us
shyt it never was

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If any of you kats saw unsung Hollywood yesterday about the movie Car Wash they touched on this many times. This shyt has always been the issue in Hollywood when it comes to black folks.

I don't see how these black folks in Hollywood don't go completely crazy fukking with these racist.

I gotta check that out on Demand. I remember reading about John Amos quitting Good Times due to the writing staff changing the script to make it more minstrelsy.

Somehow Fresh Prince and A Different World and a few others in the 90s were able to make waves with largely black staffs. We have to get back to that.

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and Pizzolatto has finally been exposed for being the hack he's been for years :wow:

I don't really agree with that. His novel Galveston is quite good. But yeah, he had no experience in television and HBO gave him a big budget 1hr drama.

Hell, the two showrunners of Game of Thrones had no experience running a TV show and HBO have them a 60 million dollar first season.