Issa Rae's "Awkward Black Girl" Struggling to Gain Footing on HBO/Aspiring Writers Read

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We give it away. It's either you're in it for money or art and willing to self-produce. Money is you giving away control. However, you can keep your best joint, get money by pimping another work and then self-produce your best joint or put up a sizable amount to maintain control. Stop counting on people to do the right thing.

^ this right here.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hopefully that trailer was not indicative of how the show is going to be.... Her YouTube stuff is creative and well done......... But I do have a feeling HBO had too much input and has more than likely turned this into pseudo smart, somewhat cliched, trite material that young white hipsters can appreciate in a way that makes them feel like they understand certain black issues

Yep I believe so too. Also believe that the show will play into black stereotypes... but let's see how this shyt plays out.

I remember Avery Brooks and Tim Reid both mentioned that the shows they had would be eventually cancelled. But they refused to give up control, have black writers and would not play into the white savior shyt or black stereotypes. You were gonna see strong images or black men or black women or black families.

That is why I respect those kats to the end. Same with a sista like Esther Rolle and brotha like John Amos.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I watched the first 5 minutes but had to stop and go do something.

Think I'm gonna wait until a few more episodes air so I can binge, and see if I like it.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
HBO is "old guard" tho.. You get in bed with them more than likely you have to play by their rules. She might have been better off at a younger network like Starz, Netflix, FX, Amazon,etc.. I'll peep the show this weekend. She's definitely put in the work and deserves this though. Way more than a Lena Dunham

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Watched the full episode to give it a chance and I must say I was predictably dissapointed.

The show goes out of its way, to once again portray black males as lazy, uninspired, boys who refuse to be men and "earn" the love and affection of black women. In the first episode alone black men only desire black women for sex, while they cherish and marry other races of women (this is spoken explicitly by one of the main black female characters) Issa's boyfriend is an unambitious fukk up who apparently doesn't possess the wherewithal to even make it through a job interview without spitting on the interviewer and spilling coffee on him:what: . So these intelligent, resourceful, educated, and beautiful black women simply CANNOT find ONE black man in the entire world who isn't a caricature of the worst common denominator:martin:. Every black man in the pilot is a thug wannabe, player, or free-loading slacker. I was waiting for the educated lawyer or businessman, who just happens to be Gay to pop up before the episode's end to make the cypher complete, but I guess they'll stretch that out to episode 2...

Very dissapointing coming from a black woman and a black man (Larry Wilmore is credited as co-creator).