Issa Rae's "Awkward Black Girl" Struggling to Gain Footing on HBO/Aspiring Writers Read

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
*claps hands* we got another one brehs and even tho its women centric its funny enough for niccas to enjoy :wow:....just off one ep this shyt should have a run as long as girls (:scust:)...seeing as this is a show with black women i dont expect any nudity from any females tho which is kinda lame but hey if it stays being funny its whatever

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Watched the full episode to give it a chance and I must say I was predictably dissapointed.

The show goes out of its way, to once again portray black males as lazy, uninspired, boys who refuse to be men and "earn" the love and affection of black women. In the first episode alone black men only desire black women for sex, while they cherish and marry other races of women (this is spoken explicitly by one of the main black female characters) Issa's boyfriend is an unambitious fukk up who apparently doesn't possess the wherewithal to even make it through a job interview without spitting on the interviewer and spilling coffee on him:what: . So these intelligent, resourceful, educated, and beautiful black women simply CANNOT find ONE black man in the entire world who isn't a caricature of the worst common denominator:martin:. Every black man in the pilot is a thug wannabe, player, or free-loading slacker. I was waiting for the educated lawyer or businessman, who just happens to be Gay to pop up before the episode's end to make the cypher complete, but I guess they'll stretch that out to episode 2...

Very dissapointing coming from a black woman and a black man (Larry Wilmore is credited as co-creator).
:lupe:

kingdarius

Daps
Reppin
i understand where ziggiy is coming from but its not like the dudes on girls were the definition of great men tho....most of them were losers and even the main guy was a complete scumbag. Plus its just the first fukking episode lol if she met the man of her dreams that was denzel personified im sure it wouldnt be that funny.

Last edited:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I watched the first 15 mins and it was decent but I've so many comedy shows with this look and feel I just couldn't get into it.

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i understand where ziggiy is coming from but its not like the dudes on girls were the definition of great men tho....most of them were losers and even the main guy was a complete scumbag. Plus its just the first fukking episode lol if she met the man of her dreams that was denzel personified im sure it wouldnt be that funny.
True but with Girls, ALL of the 4 girls are scumbags. The men in their lives are terrible choices because the main characters make terrible decisions with awful taste.
I doubt Issa is gonna make her female characters get any blame for their choices in partners. :skip:Black men will just be walking Ls.
I agree though, its the 1st episode so we need to let the sista have a couple of seasons before we can see the vision. She's world building right now.

kingdarius

Daps
Reppin
True but with Girls, ALL of the 4 girls are scumbags. The men in their lives are terrible choices because the main characters make terrible decisions with awful taste.
I doubt Issa is gonna make her female characters get any blame for their choices in partners. :skip:Black men will just be walking Ls.
I agree though, its the 1st episode so we need to let the sista have a couple of seasons before we can see the vision. She's world building right now.
but its HER show and its coming from HER experiences and if thats what she's has been experiencing then it is what it is. At the end of the day its a show coming from the feministic aspect which is automatically gonna be shyttin on men. Even the arab dude they mentioned turned out to be a bum that breakup over texting :lolbron:...