Issa Rae's "Awkward Black Girl" Struggling to Gain Footing on HBO/Aspiring Writers Read

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Hopefully she gets a push and the show can do for her what Girls did for Lena Dunham.
I hope so too but if the show doesn't get the same buzz with the magazines that Girls got then I see HBO cancelling it with the quickness.
Because no one watches Girls but because all of the entertainment mags gush over it like it is some sort of cultural touchstone HBO has allowed it to live long past its expiration date.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was interested in her YouTube show until I read that her character chooses the bedwench route over a brother :martin:

Still her life story is extremely interesting and let's you know that you don't NEED mainstream Hollywood acceptance to get your ideas in front of an audience. This woman wrote/produced/starred and got funding through Groupme to air her series on YouTube. She basically did the equivalent of what the smarter underground rappers do. Build a fanbase through grassrooting and then when Hollywood comes a calling she had her leverage so she didn't have to compromise her vision.

I hope her new HBO series is good, but again, reading the character synopsis I'm not liking what I'm reading about the black male whose supposed to be her boyfriend. "Trying to get his life together for the past 4 years now" :camby: still I'll give probably the first two episodes a chance because I do want to see black men/women succeed with their vision.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Pizzolatto had TV experience he worked on the Killing as a staff writer. He also worked on Magic City for STARZ for a little bit. But I agree it is a struggle for us black people to gain creative control in Hollywood.
We give it away. It's either you're in it for money or art and willing to self-produce. Money is you giving away control. However, you can keep your best joint, get money by pimping another work and then self-produce your best joint or put up a sizable amount to maintain control. Stop counting on people to do the right thing.

Last edited:

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
I was interested in her YouTube show until I read that her character chooses the bedwench route over a brother :martin:

Still her life story is extremely interesting and let's you know that you don't NEED mainstream Hollywood acceptance to get your ideas in front of an audience. This woman wrote/produced/starred and got funding through Groupme to air her series on YouTube. She basically did the equivalent of what the smarter underground rappers do. Build a fanbase through grassrooting and then when Hollywood comes a calling she had her leverage so she didn't have to compromise her vision.

I hope her new HBO series is good, but again, reading the character synopsis I'm not liking what I'm reading about the black male whose supposed to be her boyfriend. "Trying to get his life together for the past 4 years now" :camby: still I'll give probably the first two episodes a chance because I do want to see black men/women succeed with their vision.
I'm going to call it right now she's ending with a white men on the new show:francis: I got the feeling as soon as I heard "bitter black women"

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Has she tried pitching her show to Netflix? Maybe Netflix would let her have more control on their platform since it's a subscription based model.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
y'all support this trash?

Hopefully that trailer was not indicative of how the show is going to be.... Her YouTube stuff is creative and well done......... But I do have a feeling HBO had too much input and has more than likely turned this into pseudo smart, somewhat cliched, trite material that young white hipsters can appreciate in a way that makes them feel like they understand certain black issues

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Hopefully she gets a push and the show can do for her what Girls did for Lena Dunham.

Lena Dunham was groomed from childhood.. go and look up some of the news articles about her. Chick was groomed to be a critical darling

Issa Rae will probably get 1 season if this isn't a critical darling or doesn't do decent enough in ratings.

I don't plan on watching it :manny: