Issa Rae's "Awkward Black Girl" Struggling to Gain Footing on HBO/Aspiring Writers Read

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
I don't really agree with that. His novel Galveston is quite good. But yeah, he had no experience in television and HBO gave him a big budget 1hr drama.

Hell, the two showrunners of Game of Thrones had no experience running a TV show and HBO have them a 60 million dollar first season.

I thought he worked on the Killing?

He must've had a ton of help writing last year...this season has been pretty terrible.

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought he worked on the Killing?

He must've had a ton of help writing last year...this season has been pretty terrible.

From what I understand he was already attached to HBO for True Detective and they helped him get into a writing room room for a quick bit of prep.

Still hardly any experience and definitely not proportional to getting a big budget drama written entirely by him.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pizzolatto had TV experience he worked on the Killing as a staff writer. He also worked on Magic City for STARZ for a little bit. But I agree it is a struggle for us black people to gain creative control in Hollywood.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Hopefully she gets a push and the show can do for her what Girls did for Lena Dunham.
I'm hoping so too...im tired of of these well connected white chicks being given all sorts of breaks (Lena Dunham, Lana del ray, the Mara sisters) when black talent has to go thru the ringer and then some

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
It's crazy how we can't even write our own stories, that's why I appreciate Power.

I wondered why I didn't like Survivor's Remorse when I first saw it, then I realized it was written and created by Mike O'malley :stopitslime: from Guts. Even though I heard it was stolen :sas2:

Its like come on, Lebron. You couldn't get a black writing staff to produce that? No wonder it sucks.
same thing for kathryn Bigelow's "detroit riots" film thats coming