IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How long you study for it and what resources?
3 weeks of hard studying. I was studying a little bit here and there in the summer too.

I did the Pentest+ path on TryHackMe
And Sybex Pentest+ Study Guide
And Sybex Pentest+ Practice questions

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Is anybody familiar with or have the CIDPRO? It's pretty new certification but it's concerning Identity and Access Management. I think I'm gonna lean in heavy on this and bolster a rep for a career in cyber security. Just copped a book off of Amazon last week. Also, they're holding a webinar Nov. 10th

HovaNas

Pro
Daps
Is anybody familiar with or have the CIDPRO? It's pretty new certification but it's concerning Identity and Access Management. I think I'm gonna lean in heavy on this and bolster a rep for a career in cyber security. Just copped a book off of Amazon last week. Also, they're holding a webinar Nov. 10th

Going to look into this just to have in the chamber.

Daps
Does IT fall under control systems and instrumentation?

It would depend on by what you mean by control systems and instrumentation. Are you talking about the equipment and machines used in plants and manufacturing?

If so, it may be the other way around where certain aspects of the equipment / machines fall under IT, especially if there are networked controllers running the equipment.

When I worked at a MSP, we supported some companies that used industrial equipment. Our duties didn't go past the computers serving as controllers though. We weren't about to fukk with anything that could cost someone a limb.

People working in IT don't have the knowledge of the equipment to be credible beyond the computers used to control and vice versa. Machine operators may not know a lot about networking, computers, etc.

Javed

All Star
Daps
Is it worth it to take a pay cut to get a job offering security clearance?

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
anybody attend WGU?

Any other WGU IT students on the Coli?

I've only heard good things, hope to go after I'm done this software dev boot camp.

Just started at WGU to try and get this Cyber Security degree. I'm currently a contractor now, but looking to get more technical and hands-on. I just don't know which path in Cyber. I here it's hard to break into. What should I be doing outside of school work? OSCP? Learn Kali Linux? I also thought about getting an AWS cert as well.
How did WGU work out for ya'll?

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
It would depend on by what you mean by control systems and instrumentation. Are you talking about the equipment and machines used in plants and manufacturing?

If so, it may be the other way around where certain aspects of the equipment / machines fall under IT, especially if there are networked controllers running the equipment.

When I worked at a MSP, we supported some companies that used industrial equipment. Our duties didn't go past the computers serving as controllers though. We weren't about to fukk with anything that could cost someone a limb.

People working in IT don't have the knowledge of the equipment to be credible beyond the computers used to control and vice versa. Machine operators may not know a lot about networking, computers, etc.
yes equipment and electro/mechanical instruments. I did a 3 year college diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology and just trying to see what's out there and how everything relates. we did a bit of networking, nothing crazy mostly telecomm. I focused in automation and trying to learn C++ because we started with C and I kind of grasp it. what's really crazy my prof's were telling me they changed the curriculum to include more computer engineering material because that's the way the world is going. Everything and anything has some form of circuity in it.

By the way what do you do? and how did you get there?

currently I do Electrical Calibrations and repair. It's fun but a lot of the guys getting ready to retire are telling us how important IT is especially when dealing with anything electronic now a days.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Would love to hear some responses from other ppl that went through it too. I’m in it now, about to power through the sec+. Think imma take a semester off and focus on the aws practitioner cert then hop back in.
What degree are you going for with them?