IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Just took the AWS Network Specialty Exam….

I didn’t prepare for some reason and decided to wing it. It was hard as shyt. I’ll find out in 24 hours if I wasted $150 and 3 hours of my time
I don't know why, but this shyt funny af to me.

On another note.. just accepted an offer for $165k from a very large media company for a Cloud/SRE position :blessed:

But I still got like 4 interviews lined up next week, all for positions ranging from $140-185K... got a technical with AWS next week too, I find Amazon's interview and scheduling process tedious. I only plan on seeing it through out of pure curiosity.

Either way, is stupid hot out there brehs.. get your certs up and get your bread up.... recruiters in my linked dms every day, and this is during a slowdown. I can only imagine what this shyt was like back in January :whew: Kicking myself for not making this move sooner.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps

On another note.. just accepted an offer for $165k from a very large media company for a Cloud/SRE position :blessed:

But I still got like 4 interviews lined up next week, all for positions ranging from $140-185K... got a technical with AWS next week too, I find Amazon's interview and scheduling process tedious. I only plan on seeing it through out of pure curiosity.

Either way, is stupid hot out there brehs.. get your certs up and get your bread up.... recruiters in my linked dms every day, and this is during a slowdown. I can only imagine what this shyt was like back in January :whew: Kicking myself for not making this move sooner.
Bless up bro! :salute:

If you dont mind me asking, whats your background in regards to certs/education and experience?

Also what held you back from making the move earlier

Onigumo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Dumb ? but can I pass the CompTIA Security Plus SY0-601exam by studying the SY0-501 content? It's already paid for

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps

How do you plan on preparing? Has anyone gone through AWS's interview process? How deep do they dive? It is impossible to know everything lol.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
I just got a job as a deployment technician and this shyt is boring as hell. I feel like there is little to learn but the pay is good.

Gonna do some studying to gain more skills and try to find another job within six months.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Checking in. Any brehs still in Identity Management? I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

Got tapped today by our director for an opening... it's a lateral move in terms of pay (Cot DAMN I want more money :snoop:) and I think it's more Identity Access LITE... really just assigning groupers. At the same time, there's an opening on the more A+ side with computers and a manager over there is interested in me joining. My experience has been with MDM (WorkSpace One) and I'm really interested in the deeper side of that but I'm so damn fed up with Help desk :beli: Leaning towards the Identity gig.

Pros:
- Get to fiddle with Azure AD once we finally migrate there
- Should complement my MDM experience
- No more weekends and I can work 2-3 days or possibly completely from home... Lots more time to get back in shape and hustle my side biz

Cons:
- I NEED more money
- Not trying to move laterally

Unknown:
-The experience is either valuable AF or the burnout is insane cause they've been running thru bodies
i am officially taking my talents to IAM :blessed: looking forward to this, i think this'll really help the rubber hit the road for me. looking at the best ways to maximize my skills and pay

Daps
Anyone in here get a CISSP recently? Recently got the CASP+ and figured I would just chill for the rest of the year. But my job is offering me an opportunity if I can get a CISSP by years end that I wasn't expecting. Which would basically give me what? 10 weeks? Does anyone think this is doable? I'd basically be putting my life on hold and going between work and studying, which I don't mind. If anyone has any advice, it would definitely be helpful.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Anyone in here get a CISSP recently? Recently got the CASP+ and figured I would just chill for the rest of the year. But my job is offering me an opportunity if I can get a CISSP by years end that I wasn't expecting. Which would basically give me what? 10 weeks? Does anyone think this is doable? I'd basically be putting my life on hold and going between work and studying, which I don't mind. If anyone has any advice, it would definitely be helpful.

I don't think it can be done in 10 weeks. It is suppose to be one of the hardest exam to pass. I took it in 2017 for the associate of isc designation and it took 6 months to study for it.

The content has probably changed but if you are comfortable with this content then you may be able to knock it out.

Daps
I don't think it can be done in 10 weeks. It is suppose to be one of the hardest exam to pass. I took it in 2017 for the associate of isc designation and it took 6 months to study for it.

The content has probably changed but if you are comfortable with this content then you may be able to knock it out.

Yeah, I've heard people studying that long. I'm going to think it over tonight. Someone is basically leaving the company and the position requires an CISSP (for the contract). Dude said if I get a CISSP before end of year I can have the position. Otherwise they will fill it.

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
I'm waiting to return to school to finish my bachelor's in criminal justice
What courses(Udemy/Coursera/etc) can I take to get into IT and build from there I've already taken ethical hacking

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Bless up bro! :salute:

If you dont mind me asking, whats your background in regards to certs/education and experience?

Also what held you back from making the move earlier
Currently doing network/security, but I also automate/code and do a lot of shyt with containers.

Certs: 2x AWS Associate, 1x Kubernetes.

I got complacent.. current gig is cool and i work with some really cool people.. no one fukks with me and i can travel and do whatever I want for the most past. But that doesn't make up for not being paid what you're worth, so I decided to see what the market was like :manny:

How do you plan on preparing? Has anyone gone through AWS's interview process? How deep do they dive? It is impossible to know everything lol.
I just winged it.. I hopped of another interview that ran long and jumped straight into the AWS tech interview.

The recruiter sent me a whole guide about answering questions in STAR format and studying the leadership principles and what not.. but that shyt just seemed cultish and annoying.. they just asked me some basic questions about highly-available application design and a few network and database questions.. those were followed up with some behavioral questions along the lines of "Tell me a time when you missed a deadline/fukked up a project/disagreed with a coworker" etc.. I'll find out in a few days whether or not i made it to the final round.. then it's the loop interview where you basically have to take the whole day off to get grilled by different teams for 4+ hours.

Last edited:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Currently doing network/security, but I also automate/code and do a lot of shyt with containers.

Certs: 2x AWS Associate, 1x Kubernetes.

I got complacent.. current gig is cool and i work with some really cool people.. no one fukks with me and i can travel and do whatever I want for the most past. But that doesn't make up for not being paid what you're worth, so I decided to see what the market was like :manny:

I just winged it.. I hopped of another interview that ran long and jumped straight into the AWS tech interview.

The recruiter sent me a whole guide about answering questions in STAR format and studying the leadership principles and what not.. but that shyt just seemed cultish and annoying.. they just asked me some basic questions about highly-available application design and a few network and database questions.. those were followed up with some behavioral questions along the lines of "Tell me a time when you missed a deadline/fukked up a project/disagreed with a coworker" etc.. I'll find out in a few days whether or not i made it to the final round.. then it's the loop interview where you basically have to take the whole day off to get grilled by different teams for 4+ hours.

DM you man, I am looking for more details on this on how in depth it was.