IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

jmegamar

On the Come up Member
Daps
Try to get your Security+ and start applying for govt roles in cyber.
Got that. Got the Comptia Trifecta and recently my CCNA. Been doing service desk type stuff for 2 years. I’m applying to stuff on usajobs now. I really wanna do network type work but shyt I’ll take whatever to get my foot in the door.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Got that. Got the Comptia Trifecta and recently my CCNA. Been doing service desk type stuff for 2 years. I’m applying to stuff on usajobs now. I really wanna do network type work but shyt I’ll take whatever to get my foot in the door.
you try Indeed? I heard they are good for jobs that require or have the potential to get you Secret clearance cleared

jmegamar

On the Come up Member
Daps
you try Indeed? I heard they are good for jobs that require or have the potential to get you Secret clearance cleared
Haven’t tried there yet. I’ll do that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Can anyone speak to getting an "entry" level job in Cybersecurity? If i can get the Sec+ and Pentest+ certs i want to get a SOC analyst job or Junior Pentester Role.

Is this doable without any real prior experience in Cyber? Or would it be more realistic to have to get a help desk role for a year or so then try to leverage that

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
I'm thinking about switching industries not necessarily because of the layoffs. But I invested so much time into this shyt and you gotta continue to learn new shyt constantly. I already got a bunch of certs and working on a BS. A lot of the things you study you don't even use on the job. IT cacs are a lot of times latent racist and constantly do little fukk shyt on the job. I just don't know what industries I could jump to honestly.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Can anyone speak to getting an "entry" level job in Cybersecurity? If i can get the Sec+ and Pentest+ certs i want to get a SOC analyst job or Junior Pentester Role.

Is this doable without any real prior experience in Cyber? Or would it be more realistic to have to get a help desk role for a year or so then try to leverage that

Honestly just go for it and see where you end up. There is no guaranteed. I was rejected hundreds of time for a good year and half for lack of experience and ended up landing a Senior role(which rarely does not happen). I saw some pen test influencer with thousands of followers with only a year and hallf experience..lol she may be making more money than me.

It is honestly unpredictable. Just have to shoot your shot.

Daps

You are going to have to interview a lot and deal with rejection a lot. Soon you'll figure out these people ask a rotation of similar questions. After every interview take these questions down and just work on your responses. If you don't know, don't say I don't know. Learn it to show you're knowledgeable but admit you don't have much hands on experience with it. Maybe set up a simple homelab. Download trials for like Tenable or VMware or something to get your own hands on experience.

I remember my first Security Analyst job I applied to, I think I answered maybe 1 or 2 questions and bombed the other 8 lol but it was a learning experience. Humbled me real quick.

What is port 80? :yeshrug:
What is port 53? :yeshrug:
Can you tell me any port number? :sadcam:
What is Whaling? :gucci:
Explain to me what happened with the SolarWind Hack? :manny:

I'll never forgot how embarrassed I was to not be able to answer any of those question.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You are going to have to interview a lot and deal with rejection a lot. Soon you'll figure out these people ask a rotation of similar questions. After every interview take these questions down and just work on your responses. If you don't know, don't say I don't know. Learn it to show you're knowledgeable but admit you don't have much hands on experience with it. Maybe set up a simple homelab. Download trials for like Tenable or VMware or something to get your own hands on experience.

I remember my first Security Analyst job I applied to, I think I answered maybe 1 or 2 questions and bombed the other 8 lol but it was a learning experience. Humbled me real quick.

I'll never forgot how embarrassed I was to not be able to answer any of those question.
yeah that early interview experience is really humbling

a nikka be questioning life after that shyt :dead: it will truly make or break someone

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
yeah that early interview experience is really humbling

a nikka be questioning life after that shyt :dead: it will truly make or break someone
I remember that day like it was yesterday. It felt like shyt was moving in slow motion. I didn’t know any answers. Seemed like the interviewer had 100 questions on his sheet and it was just a desktop support interview:dahell::snoop:

Pharaoh

They told me take my chain off…let my body defrost
Daps
Reppin
The TOMB
I’m getting ready to move into cybersecurity purchasing to eventually make a full fledged leap into cybersecurity any tips?

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA

:dead:@ not knowing any port numbers. I interviewed at a place and they asked me about PKI (public key infastructure) i didn't even know wtf that meant i just made some shyt up and interviewer said "so you don't know much about PKI". I got an offer letter anyway and worked there for 1 year and half

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Once interviewed someone who couldn't tell me what the CIA triad was.
Literally the first question, I watched his soul leave his body