IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
Went from having a 6 Month contract to hire > needing to find a Job by June > only having 15 days before my assignment is cut short

All because these MFs wanted to outsource and wipe out the entirety of the current Full time IT department + any contractors.

So they dont even know they are about to get axed, only reason I know is because they have to tell this to the staffing agency.

I hated working here anyways but still

I'll never do retail IT again,

EDIT:

Team Lead just called.....Now the rest of the team knows, suddenly all those status are set to away and people claiming to have power outages lol

EDIT 2:

within an hour, our department alone got sacked with like 130 new tickets, guess the news got out. and they think im gonna be like the band continuing to play while the titanic sank, fukk them,. I'm not prioritizing this shyt no more, I got applications to fill and phone calls to take.

taking half my shift to do 1 ticket like

giphy.gif

Glad I started looking else where over a month ago.

I'm about to be on some two remote job shyt for at least a year and some change cause the market kinda suspect

lesson for those new to IT, Always be applying....Always

Last edited:

Adonai

Pro
Daps
How do yall deal with T1 nikkas not troubleshooting and just escalating shyt? I always send the resolution to issues to the T1/T2 Manager and breh just be hitting me with the "Thanks". Like bro, this is basic ass layer 1 troubleshooting and they can't even handle that.

I de-escalated a ticket to them today and the T1/T2 Manager and the only damn person on T2 threw hissy fits about how they don't control the printers and wall ports and we're scared to call users directly... Like bro, an end user removed an ethernet cable from the wall. Why is it the Network Enginners' job to fix that?

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
How do yall deal with T1 nikkas not troubleshooting and just escalating shyt? I always send the resolution to issues to the T1/T2 Manager and breh just be hitting me with the "Thanks". Like bro, this is basic ass layer 1 troubleshooting and they can't even handle that.

I de-escalated a ticket to them today and the T1/T2 Manager and the only damn person on T2 threw hissy fits about how they don't control the printers and wall ports and we're scared to call users directly... Like bro, an end user removed an ethernet cable from the wall. Why is it the Network Enginners' job to fix that?
Been dealing with this alot,

I'll troubleshoot what issues we take ownership for, but there are so many damn business apps that have their own asignment groups because the shyt that goes ary with these applications are usually back-end issues or poor configuration issues, shyt doesnt play well in Virtual desktops etc.

When escalating I typically sift through old closed tickets to see how shyt was resolved especially the occasional one assigned to my group.

There will be 70 pages worth of tickets with the exact same issue dealing with an app specific error code, basically a known issue

so when I send a ticket thats out of our scope for troubleshooting to them, they will either leave the shyt unassigned in their queue for a week or kick the shyt back to our queue with the balls to say they dont handle the issue. and I have to put in notes referencing 20 other tickets with the same exact issue. Now leads and managers have to get involved, just for them to inevitably be assign the shyt anyways, wasting everyone's time.

Also nikkas writing empty/unfinished KBs or leaving outdated ones from 7 years ago up
or the worknotes, the cotdamn worknotes:snoop:. Nikkas will resolve an issues and not elaborate what they did to resolve an issue for future incidents.
Just say "issue resolve, closing ticket". shyt's okay if it was already resolved from the user's end. but that shyt bruns me me up when the team does it.

nikkas dont want to do their jobs

Whole IT department is unbounded fukkery, It's no wonder the whole IT department is being Thanos snapped and outsourcing to whoever

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
AWS doing a free exam retake offer:

Onigumo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana

Wished they had one for first time test takers

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Sheesh, I am in no way ready, but im tempted to sign up since the tests are cheap in the first place and just give it a shot. With a retake, might make a miracle and instantly have a boost to the resume.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
How do you guys feel about being the solo IT person in a company?
I'd hate to be that dude. That's a ton of bricks hanging over your head. If you can parlay that into a head of IT and bring on couple of direct reports then it could be worthwhile. But you need support from your company and assurances that you can make those moves.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'd hate to be that dude. That's a ton of bricks hanging over your head. If you can parlay that into a head of IT and bring on couple of direct reports then it could be worthwhile. But you need support from your company and assurances that you can make those moves.
I’ve done it a few times in previous roles and at my current job too. I don’t really like it.

Earlier in my career at these jobs, my managers would be HR people. Later, I’d be under an engineering manager, which was better but it would still suck being a team of one.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Pearsonvue
:scust:
WOAT remote testing experience.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Pearsonvue
:scust:
WOAT remote testing experience.

I'd avoid taking an exam remotely from home. Too much can go wrong and online proctors seem to get a kick out of fukking with people. Just read the countless horror stories of people who have had their exams cancelled for the dumbest shyt. Pearsonvue sucks but they're the only ones in the game right now.