IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Been in a SOC analyst position for way too long with no change and boring as hell.. 3+ years. Jumped into it within Covid and was stricty WFH. Now I am in the office 3 days a week and seeing how soul crushing this is. Im not standing in my power mentally and also recently physically.

What do you guys recommend to do next? The Company im with does not offer any other route within blue or red teaming for me so I definately decided to bounce in 2024.

Right now, the company has kind of made me feel like Cybersecurity aint it for the long haul, atleast within Europe for the black man. No inspiring environment as a whole. Contemplating other routes/mentorship, even outside of Cybersec. I have a very creative and philosophic mind. Also planning to get some sort of Job Coach. I want to work in an environment where there are lots of intelligent black people thriving so I can be inspired and motivated to come into the office forreal..

Yall have any suggestions?
You said all that but still haven't stated what it is you want to do career/role wise. Have you've done into research into companies that might fit your criteria? Have you thought about joining groups outside your work environment that may provide what you are looking for? I'm in similar boat but not really looking for that in my work environment. Would much rather it be outside of work since I plan to be making a lot of different moves the next 5-10 years. I don't expect to stick with any one company for more than 2-3 years.

ChiefKenji

Lord Cuts
Daps
Reppin
Spazz
You said all that but still haven't stated what it is you want to do career/role wise. Have you've done into research into companies that might fit your criteria? Have you thought about joining groups outside your work environment that may provide what you are looking for? I'm in similar boat but not really looking for that in my work environment. Would much rather it be outside of work since I plan to be making a lot of different moves the next 5-10 years. I don't expect to stick with any one company for more than 2-3 years.
Thats the problem. Im not sure that company exists, or that it should be a company that I have to create. Same goes for the groups, its literally non existant here.

I agree with that what you/I am looking for could well be far outside our/my work environment. Its just that its not clear what I am looking for exactly. How did you go by finding out your moves for the next 5-10 years and what drives you?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Thats the problem. Im not sure that company exists, or that it should be a company that I have to create. Same goes for the groups, its literally non existant here.

I agree with that what you/I am looking for could well be far outside our/my work environment. Its just that its not clear what I am looking for exactly. How did you go by finding out your moves for the next 5-10 years and what drives you?
Yeah I don't know if a work environment like that even exist in the US but I know there are groups My plan is to do more research on these groups and attend a few of their events. As for motivations, I work in Cybersecurity now (Blue team) and that's always a never ending challenge. Bad guys always evolving so you're constantly having to learn to defend against them. Having to learn and grow constantly is fun to me (I know I'm weird and one of the few who actually enjoy this). I get excited thinking about what's coming next. Right now, ML/AI is growing at an exponential rate and truthfully I feel like we are playing out Terminator 2 (my favorite movie). That motivates me to try to be apart of the creation of true sentient AI. Not saying I will be a real life Mile Dyson but just the thought that it's a possibly drives me more than anything you can imagine. I kind of went on a rant but I think this is a pretty good discussion. Hopefully others chime in.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
I emailed this lady Friday, "Hey I see this person is moving to this job, what access do they need?" She replies at 4:59pm-- we close at 5:00.

Monday morning, 8:34am she cc's my boss... "She doesn't have access yet what's going on"
doc-rivers-staring-blankly.gif

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I emailed this lady Friday, "Hey I see this person is moving to this job, what access do they need?" She replies at 4:59pm-- we close at 5:00.

Monday morning, 8:34am she cc's my boss... "She doesn't have access yet what's going on"
doc-rivers-staring-blankly.gif
You better go put hands on that bytch :mjlol:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
You better go put hands on that bytch :mjlol:

I would just forward my boss my attempt to get the information while also asking why this user isn't following the proper process:sas1:
Crazy bytch :gucci: I mean cotdamn, the effective date was yesterday so we couldn't do nothing til today anyways. She came back asking about something else that's with another team and now she wants their name so she can harass them too :dead:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Crazy bytch :gucci: I mean cotdamn, the effective date was yesterday so we couldn't do nothing til today anyways. She came back asking about something else that's with another team and now she wants their name so she can harass them too :dead:
White woman?

ChiefKenji

Lord Cuts
Daps
Reppin
Spazz
Toxic af