IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

treezee

LWO
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lost Angels
Be careful breh. Some companies require you to either pay that bread back or sign a contract that you'll stay for a # of years if you accept the training. My job said for them to pay for my CCIE Security, it'd require an 18 month commitment. I was like :childplease:

'preciate the warning breh, but :whoa: that's not the case here. They have a budget for training their techs so they want to make sure they spend that bread so they won't lose it next year.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
'preciate the warning breh, but :whoa: that's not the case here. They have a budget for training their techs so they want to make sure they spend that bread so they won't lose it next year.

Just make sure you got it in writing. We had a training budget too, but when it came to certs they'd act funny style.

Wouldn't wanna see you in a situation where your last check is a bill and they looking at you like :mjpls:

I'mHigh

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok brehs, I need some help.

I'm 22 years old and am a semester away from getting my associates. I'm planning on transferring to UCF next fall to major in computer software engineering. I want to try and get an entry-level job in the IT world while I'm finishing out my bachelors, but I'm not sure where to start. I've read through some of the thread and some of you were talking about A+ certs. If I get my A+ cert before I move down, would that be enough with my associates degree to get an entry level job, say help desk? I'm not looking to make alot of money, at least not yet. I'm just trying to move into the IT field now rather than later. Any advice would be appreciated guys.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

I'm 22 years old and am a semester away from getting my associates. I'm planning on transferring to UCF next fall to major in computer software engineering. I want to try and get an entry-level job in the IT world while I'm finishing out my bachelors, but I'm not sure where to start. I've read through some of the thread and some of you were talking about A+ certs. If I get my A+ cert before I move down, would that be enough with my associates degree to get an entry level job, say help desk? I'm not looking to make alot of money, at least not yet. I'm just trying to move into the IT field now rather than later. Any advice would be appreciated guys.

Should be enough. Typical helpdesk requirements that I see are something like "Associates degree in something IT-related, A+ preferred" so you should be right there.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

If you can program now, skip the help desk. If you can't..Find a help desk job.

A+, CCNA, MSCE or any of those other certs won't help(never hurts to have them though )but most programmers can't troubleshoot a computer/network to save their life (Just yesterday I had to explain to one of my co-workers what jailbreaking your phone means:mindblown: ). But in the end, I can't blame them now, you spend most of your day writing/reviewing/testing *your* code and dont have time for other things.:flabbynsick:

Being a developer means having a totally different set of skills( why you think you have to take all of those math classes? ). It's rare you'll find a person with both sets of skills, and if you do they are usually from the "hacker" / security crowd.

If you have some programming experience, look into internships, open source projects , entry level positions( I've seen some programmers making $12/hr ). and in my opinion this is the best time to be a programmer, with the mobile space growing @ a rapid pace and now with the app store/google play/windows store, you can get your work out to the masses and even if your apps don't sell, you can always bring it up in an interview :takedat:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

I'll co-sign everything data-hawk said.

As far as getting your foot in the door, if your gpa is on point, you'll be able to get in at big firms. If you don't, then you might want to look for a startup to intern at. I never interned, so i cant give you a lot of pros and cons, but i can say that working at a startup is a little riskier, but has a higher ceiling on how fast you can move up in the organization once you get in.

UCF will probably teach you a traditional Comp Sci curriculum, so I'd advise you not to get too comfortable in a language, cause you might find that the money offered for what you are learning is probably not what you had in mind.
Keep in mind, though, when I went through school they were teaching C++, C, and Java, whereas they could be teaching you guys .Net languages.

Just make sure you understand the concepts of programmming (data structures, OO Programming, time and memory costs, etc.), working in groups, and definitely working with non-developers to gather requirements.

Based on your avater, I'm going to guess your from Jacksonville, or nearby. I'd suggest you learn .Net programming and some SQL. That's what a lot of companies are looking for around here, and its hard to find people in the area.

Edit:Also, don't be afraid to take less money intially if the potential fr learning is huge, because its pretty hard to find anybody that will train you in some language or tool that companies are paying quite a bit for.

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
No it couldn't breh. I wanted to kill myself when I was doing help desk.

Me: IT help desk can I help you
Him: Yeah my God damn computer isn't working. I don't know why you guys keep messing with stuff
Me: Sir what exactly is wrong with your machine? :what:
Him: I don't know but someone needs to come down here and fix it, I'm tired of you guys not doing your jobs right.
Me: Sir I need to know what's what's wrong so I can create a ticket...
Him: THE GOD DAMN SCREEN IS BLANK. NO MATTER WHAT I DO MY COMPUTER WON'T WORK!!!!
Me: Sir have you tri......
Him: I HAVE A DAMN MEETING IN 50 MINUTES, THIS IS FRIGGIN UNACCEPTABLE :damn:
Me: Sir can you check to see if there's a green light on your tower?
Him: What's a tower? :skip:
Me: It's the thing you keyboard and mouse is plugged into. :snoop:
Him: No I don't see a green light. :ld:
Me: Can you hit the power button and see if anything happens :upsetfavre:
Him:
Me:
Him: :merchant:
Me:
Him: Well it seems to be working now, thanks for your help :ohhh:
Me: :deadrose:

And I ain't even make that shyt up breh. Like I said, I wanted to commit that

:mindblown:

Must have been a shytboomer.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
ahh my help desk days.....I tend to think about them when i'm having a bad day @ work..It makes me realize its really not that bad.:heh:

The thing I hated the most about users is when they would say " It was working before"......i'm like wtf...its not working now!!! or tell them to reboot and they would say "That takes too long":merchant:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
8 years of college but no common sense.

I will never understand these people. my supervisor has a B.S in Math and a masters( I can't remeber what though ).

and at least once a day I go "WTF"....when dealing with him.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Probably beating a dead horse here, but if i don't want to program can i still work in IT? What path should i take? Not looking to be some amazing $120,000 a year IT guru, just want to stack a couple certs on my resume so i can get a decent $20.00/hr job when my video editing/visual communications is slow.

Also, how hard is Java?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Probably beating a dead horse here, but if i don't want to program can i still work in IT? What path should i take? Not looking to be some amazing $120,000 a year IT guru, just want to stack a couple certs on my resume so i can get a decent $20.00/hr job when my video editing/visual communications is slow.

Also, how hard is Java?

There are all kinds of different areas of IT, it's not just about programming. You have:

-Helpdesk/Tech support (fixing problems over the phone/remotely/through email)
-Desktop support (deploying and fixing computers)
-Networking/Network administation (setting up and maintaining computer networks)
-Database administration (setting up and maintaining databases)
-Programming
-Web design/development
-Software testing/Quality Assurance
-Systems Administration (mainly dealing with servers and shyt)
-IT Project Managers
-IT Auditors
-Business Analysts
-Consultants
-Security experts
-Technical writers (write instruction manuals and documentation)
-Etc.

There are a lot more, that's just off the top of my head. A lot of areas don't involve any programming, but you do need to figure out what you want to specialize in, "IT" is a big field.

If you don't have a degree and don't want to program (or do web design), you'll probably have to start off in a helpdesk/desktop/tech support job though. I doubt you'll find something that starts you at 20/hr with no experience, but you might be able to find a helpdesk gig for 10-15/hr.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I have my CCENT, CCNA, CCIP and CCIE

start with ICND1 exam like i mentioned to another poster

what questions do you have about the ccna?

Which CCIE you got? Was gonna take the security exam this year but Cisco changed the blueprint to v4. Now Ima just wait until next year that way I ain't gotta rush myself.