IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
So CCNP= network engineer? Bet. How long did you spend at help desk and NOC? I was actually thinking about going for NOC after I get those certs... but if it’s entry level , I’m not tryna be with 1st year IT nikkas, to keep it G. I’ve been working IT since like 2011. I might still check it out though for the actual experience of it, not even for the resume

For me CCNP meant that. Like I said you can probably get it with CCNA too but it really all depends on your area and the need. What I learned is this shyt is very competitive you have to stand out some how. Plus we black so shyt is another layer of bullshyt. But if you know your shyt and put in the work its pretty hard to get denied.

I was at my helpdesk like role for 2 years. Got the CCNA in my last few months there. That got me into the NOC. Spent 9 months there, got my CCNP and got the Network Engineer role after that.

Every NOC is different to be honest. The NOC I was at let me get my hands on everything. The rotating shifts was garbage but the experience was great.

Are you working in IT now? If you have the experience from 2011 you should have no problem finessing a resume and getting a network engineer spot. Assuming you know your shyt :shaq:

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Nah my brotha, I took another 6 figure nicca route lol

I’m asking for someone

flipping bricks :wow:

giphy.gif

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
For me CCNP meant that. Like I said you can probably get it with CCNA too but it really all depends on your area and the need. What I learned is this shyt is very competitive you have to stand out some how. Plus we black so shyt is another layer of bullshyt. But if you know your shyt and put in the work its pretty hard to get denied.

I was at my helpdesk like role for 2 years. Got the CCNA in my last few months there. That got me into the NOC. Spent 9 months there, got my CCNP and got the Network Engineer role after that.

Every NOC is different to be honest. The NOC I was at let me get my hands on everything. The rotating shifts was garbage but the experience was great.

Are you working in IT now? If you have the experience from 2011 you should have no problem finessing a resume and getting a network engineer spot. Assuming you know your shyt :shaq:

damn i see. So i need to just stfu and focus on CCNA first. That's dope how it only took you a year tho . What actually goes down in a NOC , excuse my ignorance.. Im in IT now, but i feel like I need MORE. I do IT for a retail store . They make a lot of $$$ but there aint a lot of IT shyt to get into with a network of maybe 30 workstations, a server, printers, couple routers, a firewall, access points , etc. Even though every single tiny thing wrong with a computer, they come to me.... I still need more challenging work . That's why i be at work (like rn) studying ccna books (like rn) . Im just tryna get like u pimpin

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
which book?

CIPM

certified information privacy manager

"Those with CIPT have the highest median salaries at $130,000. CIPM credential holders come next at $129,000 median, followed closely by CIPPs at a median salary of $125,000. This compares favorably with those with no IAPP certification, who have a median annual salary of $95,800."

That was back in 2017, with the relevance of data in companies being fined for billions of dollars, price is going to go up.

The Week in Tech: Huge Fines Can’t Hide America’s Lack of a Data Privacy Law
New Laws on Data Privacy and Security Are Coming. Is Your Company Ready?

one of my last two certs before I retire from here. Loading up so I can hit the job market again.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
you trying to join the lifestyle my wave brother? :wow:

To be honest if you dont have IT experience getting a network engineer role as your first gig will be damn near impossible. From my experience, it's not something you can just jump into from 0 experience. I always tell people a Network Engineer is pretty much the backbone of a company. Would you give someone that role fresh off the block? Probably not

A CCNA with no experience will prob still have you at helpdesk if your lucky you can get into NOC (Network operations center) both are entry level spots. While there get a CCNP and start looking for jr network engineer or network engineer roles. Apply to both eventually someone will give you a shot. :wow02:

I pretty much went from a helpdesk type role ===> NOC ===> Network Engineer

Money is excellent but then again it all depends on where you live and the market. Being in NY is a blessing for salary but the cost of living here is just :dwillhuh:. The work is actually really easy once you get comfortable in your role. But then again if your too comfortable you probably should start looking to leave :myman:
What do you do daily as a Network Engineer? Is there a lot of down time?

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Which cert would y'all recommend for positions like these? :jbhmm:

Got a plug on the inside who at the very least can get me an interview, if not anything else. I got more of a clinical/user background with a Project+ cert plus 5 classes left of this HealthIT degree. Both are in a hospital.

Supports the application lifecycle for assigned applications including participation in system evaluation, development of new applications (requirements, design, build, and test), and application maintenance (deployment, operations, and optimization). Collaborates with user departments to identify, analyze, and support ongoing needs while achieving Service Level Agreements (SLAs) relative to the supported applications.

The master patient index (MPI) is a critical business function and resource because it links a patient to demographics, clinical and financial information. For those purposes, the MPI must contain accurate, timely, and complete data that include a single identifier for each patient registered. The EMPI data analyst will be responsible for reviewing, analyzing, and maintaining data integrity within the MPI for the OhioHealth system. This includes remediation of duplicate medical record numbers, overlays and assisting with correction of any clinical and demographic information.

I was thinking Network+ or CCNA to start with. Maybe even A+ :manny:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Which cert would y'all recommend for positions like these? :jbhmm:

Got a plug on the inside who at the very least can get me an interview, if not anything else. I got more of a clinical/user background with a Project+ cert plus 5 classes left of this HealthIT degree. Both are in a hospital.

I was thinking Network+ or CCNA to start with. Maybe even A+ :manny:
#1 sounds like a systems analyst. #2 doesn’t even sound IT related. None of the certs you listed would worth getting for either one of those jobs imo.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
#1 sounds like a systems analyst. #2 doesn’t even sound IT related. None of the certs you listed would worth getting for either one of those jobs imo.

I thought the same for #2 but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I could snag real quick in lieu of experience. #1 is in fact Systems Analyst which I also have no experience in as far as fukking around with application development, etc. Just looking for quick ways to sneak through the backdoor on some shyt.

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
damn i see. So i need to just stfu and focus on CCNA first. That's dope how it only took you a year tho . What actually goes down in a NOC , excuse my ignorance.. Im in IT now, but i feel like I need MORE. I do IT for a retail store . They make a lot of $$$ but there aint a lot of IT shyt to get into with a network of maybe 30 workstations, a server, printers, couple routers, a firewall, access points , etc. Even though every single tiny thing wrong with a computer, they come to me.... I still need more challenging work . That's why i be at work (like rn) studying ccna books (like rn) . Im just tryna get like u pimpin

yea man during that time period I was focused as hell. I literally was studying like my life was on the line :dead: I knew once I got that first network engineer role shyt would be breeze from that point on. Learn the fundamentals well and all the other concepts will fall in place. I admit I gotten relaxed but I became focus this year again making a plan to maximize income, make some investments (retail/business) and not have to work IT at that point

What do you do daily as a Network Engineer? Is there a lot of down time?

Daily? shyt im browsing the web learning other shyt for majority of the day :mjlol: Some tasks I may have to do are setting up Site to Site VPN's, network diagrams, adding VLANs, allocating address space and VLANS to a new site, making changes to routers/switches, updating some firewall rules.

All simple stuff really - the network I support is very simple compared to others. We are a small company (at max 400 employess) but our product is hosted in AWS. So we have no need for a data center or colo. Our product sits on the client locations so I have to design basically small cookie cutter networks with small variations. I have python scripts to create config template, scripts to get backups. it may sound like a lot but honestly this isnt even a full DAY worth of work.

The simplicity is why I want to move on to a bigger company for the experience.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Anybody have AWS certs? I'm in the middle of studying for it and it is interesting but how is the job outlook? Would having just architect cert even get me a interview?

Spin

All Star
Daps
Anybody have AWS certs? I'm in the middle of studying for it and it is interesting but how is the job outlook? Would having just architect cert even get me a interview?

Studying now for the AWS Architect Associate myself . I would almost recommend it as the new de facto cert to get. The demand for AWS skills are at the top of the IT pay scale. The best thing about it is you get a good understanding how how networks work and can practice without breaking anything.

For the CCNA you have packet tracer and other simulation techniques, but I feel a lot is left unanswered until you get into a real environment.

Spin

All Star
Daps
yea man during that time period I was focused as hell. I literally was studying like my life was on the line :dead: I knew once I got that first network engineer role shyt would be breeze from that point on. Learn the fundamentals well and all the other concepts will fall in place. I admit I gotten relaxed but I became focus this year again making a plan to maximize income, make some investments (retail/business) and not have to work IT at that point

Daily? shyt im browsing the web learning other shyt for majority of the day :mjlol: Some tasks I may have to do are setting up Site to Site VPN's, network diagrams, adding VLANs, allocating address space and VLANS to a new site, making changes to routers/switches, updating some firewall rules.

All simple stuff really - the network I support is very simple compared to others. We are a small company (at max 400 employess) but our product is hosted in AWS. So we have no need for a data center or colo. Our product sits on the client locations so I have to design basically small cookie cutter networks with small variations. I have python scripts to create config template, scripts to get backups. it may sound like a lot but honestly this isnt even a full DAY worth of work.

The simplicity is why I want to move on to a bigger company for the experience.

AWS and Python skills nice. You should be able to get a DevOps position paying 150k+.

I know you been in the game longer than me

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Another question for the experienced bro or anyone with enough knowledge-

What are the Blue Collar "IT Jobs" per say? The thought of being a desk jockey infuriates me. I like getting my hands dirty and the job I'm at now is the best of both worlds but the pay ain't really cutting it :francis:.