Kendrick has an argument to be in the GOAT convo

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I don’t disagree necessarily. But even with the Luke Skywalker analogy there was a Darth Vader & Darth Sidious during his time

That being said Kendrick is clearly a direct offspring of the golden era. I think he definitely coulda did his thing back then
Darth Sidious wasn't really of his time though...he just cheated death and his faction's Rule of Two with the Force (the biggest theory/perhaps canon on how Anakin/Vader was even born at all). That would be like saying Kendrick has a Jay Z. We could easily say someone like Drake is Vader so to speak.

I was defending Kendrick as if we're on opposing sides but ultimately we agree, you were just pointing out the counterargument. My thing is; if most people were to sit and compile a Top 15-20 list, it would heavily anchor in guys who debuted or reigned between 90-00, at least people under 50.

The era itself is the peak but if one looked at what those specific rappers skillsets and catalogs were, there's little to no way to say Kendrick wouldn't just be one of those 90s GOATs in the mix.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
This beef changes everything.

The only thing holding him back was people just didn’t think he was that nice in a traditional sense. And even as a fan I could concede that a lil bit. Kendrick had a lil bit of Pac in him in that it’s more about his artistry

Well this shatters that. He now has the artistry and every bit of the lyricism and trophy fish accompaniments. And of course the discography

Before this beef I had him just outside of the top 10 both in my personal and ‘official’ lists. Now? He’s right around 6/7 on my personal list and probably the ‘5th man’ in hip hop history. Bc Big-Pac-jay-Nas is kinda out of reach. But he may be battling withScarface and that’s HAAAR for me to type. So for now I have him 6

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lol. Dots catalogue completely shyts on Jay's. Jay had no classics until he went on that retroactive promo run pre-Blueprint when he was trying to get everyone to call Reasonable Doubt classic.
I partially agree (RD was classic period whether or not it was universally called such), but Kendrick's albums are very heavy which makes it understandable to not have the same replay value as Jay.

FS4LFE

Veteran
Daps
His era too trash to be a Goat

Outside Drake who not a real writer.. he has Cole

After that a bunch trash for yearss

A mentally unstable YE
Lil Baby
Da Baby
Lil Durk
Young Thug
Future
Money Bag yo
Damn near every female

I can go on for days
That’s like saying “you can’t respect Bill Russell because he played against plumbers. “

You can’t help which era you’re born in. Clearly Kendrick is standing out from his peers and would be great in any era of rap.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I had him Top 3 all time after Mr Morale.

DAMN
GKMC
Section 80
TPAB

Beat Drake

2 top 10 Diss songs depending how you view MTG, Euphoria or Not Like Us.

Everything he’s doing now is solidifying his position.
You have DAMN at the top? I'd love to hear why cause this is unusual.
What do you think is the point.
What I know is the point, is that one guy wanted to get in the ring on some sake of the sport shìt to show he's the best at that craft.

The other 2 guys had a decade of tension that boiled into hatred and were gearing up for the end-of-the-road death match in the warehouse at midnight.

This wasn't Nas-Biggie "The Message/Kick in the Door" level tension.

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
He’s not in my top 10 but he’s obviously a GOAT contender.

I’m not mad at anyone…..especially those under 30…. having Kendrick, Drake or J Cole in their top 10 :manny:

If you an old head who grew up before the 2010s, you can’t get mad at younger cats having stronger connections to 2010 rappers.