Lyrically, Who Are Some Legends That Were Trash??

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
go back and listen to Jazmatazz. YOU ARE MISTAKEN

Rest in peace to Guru, but he was 100% trash...

Because his style was so basic, his songs aged a lot better than rappers who had hotter styles. Do you know how many times we wold listen to Gangstarr songs and wonder how much better they would be if "this or that" rapper got a hold of that beat.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Easy E love E but he wasn't a very good rapper plus he didn't write his own lyrics Dre on this list too for me.

E and Dre are in the category of novelty,kid,female rappers who have lyrics written for them....like puffy.

Can't really count them...but young Cube and D.O.C. were writing for them, so it's hard to say that they were spitting wack lines.
If you listen to NWA records....Ren comes off very wack, only because everybody else was spitting GOAT bars from IceCube or Doc.

I liked Eazy E, he had a funny sounding voice and he was always slightly offbeat..but it worked.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Premier made a near classic album with Group Home
and Melachi the Nut Cracker is one of the worst rappers to ever breathe...

Guru and Premiere made great songs and albums, but I'm not gonna revise history. He flowed well on the beats but when they were out...nobody ever confused Guru with a great or good rapper.
The best songs Guru made, oddly enough, were the songs he made about personal relationships.

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
That's what i mean by context..listen to Drama for example, or Power,Squeeze the trigger,Mind over matter,The Tower .There is no way you'd listen to those songs and call him trash.Based of who and what at that time was popping is he trash? You cannot take an body of work and use broad strokes to paint a picture 30 yrs later calling him trash,that is just making statements based on what you like,not what you know.Power came out in 88 so unless you had a working grasp on what was trash in 88 your opinion is colored by the era you grew up and the form of the day.I would not call Chuck Berry wack just cause i grew up with Led Zeppelin and did not see his DNA in all of rock music.But you have every right to call them old artists out for being wack in 88 when we have so much better rappers in 2017.We should hold our mentors in higher regard but that is not a popular stance nowadays
Like I said in an earlier post my decision was based more so of the fact that I wasn't a big fan and not because he's actually trash, but to address one of your points there was a lot of heat dropping in 88...so much that if someone was to call Ice T (let's say average instead of trash) would they be wrong? I will admit that when I made this thread it was from the premise of how artists can be lyrically dope today but fans (new and old school fans) will call them trash while at the same time give legends a pass that were at the very best average. I agree with you that would should hold the pioneers in high regard, but I also feel like we shouldn't shyt on new artist today because the social environment of life is vastly different than what it was in the 80's and 90's

bartek420

Pro
Daps
Snoop Dogg in Doggystyle era is one of my favorite rappers but seriously even on his opus magnum he was rapping about biatches, weed and crimes (beside Murder Was the Case of course).

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Snoop Dogg in Doggystyle era is one of my favorite rappers but seriously even on his opus magnum he was rapping about biatches, weed and crimes (beside Murder Was the Case of course).
Content doesn't mean you're not lyrical. Go listen to the Shiznit again