Marvel's The Defenders - Netflix (Official Thread)

teacher

All Star
Daps
I'm not done yet but Misty is mad annoying in this one. You got superpowered people and an ancient criminal organization fighting and she keeps running her mouth about how important the police are and nobody will just tell her to shut up because its bigger than her. Theres no reason for her to be in this season other than to be an annoyance

titty meats?

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
I'm not done yet but Misty is mad annoying in this one. You got superpowered people and an ancient criminal organization fighting and she keeps running her mouth about how important the police are and nobody will just tell her to shut up because its bigger than her. Theres no reason for her to be in this season other than to be an annoyance
But she's still fine as fukk. :banderas:

...That being said DD don't trust the NYPD. Half of them were on Kingpin's payroll :camby:

How necessary is it to watch Iron fist first? I saw everything else.

It is the main lead-in for Defenders plot-wise, but is a total drag to watch. Just read the synopsis on Wikipedia.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Defenders Is Marvel/Netflix's Least-Watched Series to Date
Marvel Television’s crossover series The Defenders isn’t performing as well as Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage or even the ill-received Iron Fist in its first thirty days in the U.S. Variety reports that the eight-episode miniseries, which saw the Marvel/Netflix heroes unite on-screen for the first time, received just 17% of the viewership that Daredevil Season 2 opened to in its first thirty days. The series also had the largest week-over-week drop in terms of viewers, declining by 67%, 48%, and 41% over the first few weeks.

It’s worth noting that Netflix doesn’t release viewing data, and so third-party companies estimate viewership; in this case, the report utilizes data from marketing-analytics firm Jumpshot. What’s more, Netflix views their performance over a longer timeframe than 30 days.

Not surprised tbh. I wasn't particularly hyped for it; maybe because the Iron Fist series made it jump the shark a bit for me, and/or having a main villain (Weaver) that i felt was boring and :mjpls: for being in charge above the asians + the whole Hand thing that felt overdone... and just the limitations of the fight scenes for 90% of the cast (i.e. everyone not named Murdock who couldn't have a stunt double) + knowing Misty likely wasn't getting naked b/c she got usurped by Claire.

So at this point i'm just curious on how these shows capture the energy back in their individual seasons, with the story telling.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
that brings a smile to my face, the way it was positively received here had me a little worried that fans of these shows had now built a tolerance for quality that was average at best. They should never get complacent and why aren't we seeing an increase in budget with every series?
Yea, the limitations of their budget has become more and more glaring with each show. And storytelling wise, the first half of Luke Cage felt like the apex but the second half of the season was a slight downward slope for me (I don't hate Diamondback or Claire, but I just don't like that they replaced Cottonmouth and Misty), and then IF was just a deep dive down in quality that felt like they just half-assed it so they could rush out a Defenders series... which in turn felt half-assed and rushed... and a bit cheap with the production... and wack with the fights...

Hell, there wasn't really a payoff for Claire popping up in multiple series, esp when she was close with both Matt and Luke, and the payoff of the main characters being around each other really didn't feel that great, other than a couple verbal exchanges, and the first encounter between Cage/Danny.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Yea, the limitations of their budget has become more and more glaring with each show. And storytelling wise, the first half of Luke Cage felt like the apex but the second half of the season was a slight downward slope for me (I don't hate Diamondback or Claire, but I just don't like that they replaced Cottonmouth and Misty), and then IF was just a deep dive down in quality that felt like they just half-assed it so they could rush out a Defenders series... which in turn felt half-assed and rushed... and a bit cheap with the production... and wack with the fights...

Hell, there wasn't really a payoff for Claire popping up in multiple series, esp when she was close with both Matt and Luke, and the payoff of the main characters being around each other really didn't feel that great,
other than a couple verbal exchanges, and the first encounter between Cage/Danny.
totally agree, that was one of the infuriating things of defenders, it didn't feel like the culmination of all the series. It felt like an offshoot of another (iron fist)

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I think they need to figure out what tpe of shows they want to be. Aside from DD, and maybe Jessica Jones, they rest don't know. Does Luke Cage want to be social commentary (first half) or superhero beat-em-up (second half)? What about Iron Fist - a hero's journey or action? Defenders suffers because there wasn't enough action for a classic team-up.

But let's keep it 100% in here. These Marvel Netflix only thrive off of WOM. The fan community isn't strong enough to carry it. With no one talking about The Defenders, there you go. At one point, no one was talking about Jessica Jones either. A lot of people went back after Luke Cage to watch Jessica Jones...then maybe found Daredevil.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Yeah it was real light. Like 6/10. I had to watch it before the Punisher.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Damn ya'll really hate Iron Fist lol..I actually liked him more in this series than in Iron Fist season 1..Collen tho :banderas:
Misty bout to come back with that bionic arm tho :mjgrin:
I liked the series & thought they had great chemistry..Bout to watch The Punisher next

I didn't mind Iron Fist. I loved how everyone's gripe with him was shared by the characters in Defenders