Michael Irvin says he was happiest playing football in college because he was broke

Billy Hoyle

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
Never understood the concept of being happier with no responsibility. Having no responsibility means (usually) you have no control. Give me control and power over my life any day, I'm man enough to tell family members no.
I’d say it’s the combo of little responsibilities and the social forgiveness that comes with being a college student. You can’t get drunk all the time around a bunch of drunk single girls and have a part time job at any other point in your life without people looking down on you.

You have all the good parts of autonomy and none of the bad parts. But that window only lasts a few years right after high school. You can’t go back at 27 and act that way without people judging the fukk out of you.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
This why Will and Jada denied getting Tyrese 5 million

Them phone calls start coming

Wait, they hit the return to sender button on that nikka about the five million? Should have kept it quiet instead of flossing with teddy bears brehs.

I can see merits from all sides but I'll say this. I do like him investing in the children, maybe not for the reasons of doing it, so that they don't become leeches later in life. It's what it is though. Sometimes, family falls and if you are in a position to help, it's nice if you can. However, if you are continuing to give away money without tangible results, then yes, that is a big red flag. Someone in your family might have a great idea that requires a bit of capital that you can help with. That's a good thing if their business proposal is sound. Not 30 years down the road to ask for money on some stupid shyt.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
breh. at what point are we going to stop using this reasoning?

irvin has had money for almost 30 yrs.....his brothers and sisters in 3 decades couldve gotten degrees, built businesses, invested etc....but no instead they chose to live off him and ask for handouts.....

no excuse

Exactly

That's like the number one reason why Durant didn't come back to D.C. because he knew his family would be constantly begging him for money.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you have to remember mike has 16 brothers and sisters. most of those siblings got kids...that's a ton of nieces and nephews to be covering expenses for.

if someone gets locked up/has legal fees, or lost their job, or has a home that's about to be foreclosed, or is sick with a ton of medical bills, who does the family turn to? when one of mike's brothers died from cancer a few years ago, family members prolly looked at him like "you footin the bill for the funeral right?:usure:"

That's disgusting man. Like it's his responsibility to care for that large of a family when nobody told his silly ass parents to have 16 kids.

Slam

Pro
Daps
and this is something most white players dont have to deal with. why? we know why. They're entire family tree and their friends are not nearly as broke as black folks most times. it is what it is.

121715-14966.png

Sorry irving. This aint our fault bruh. it is what it is. so if one of ours hits the lotto. we need that money.

That graph can't be right... right? 11k? What the fukk is going on in the US.

madness

Taking my talents to South Beach
Daps
Reppin
City of Zoes
That's disgusting man. Like it's his responsibility to care for that large of a family when nobody told his silly ass parents to have 16 kids.
17 total (including him). he's the 15th out of 17...imagine you got 14 older siblings coming to you like :feedme: for 30 years when you supposed to be the little brother...shyt gotta be skressful

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
You don't get it :snoop:

You'll understand when you're in your 30's and never have time to see your friends because you're always working.

Enjoy your college years, trust me......I don't care what you do for a living afterwards (and I'm a DJ for a living) because you'll never have that level of carefree existence ever again.

yeah people gotta remember too he was Michael Irvin, star wr for the fukkin U in the beginning of their prime. Not only could he go carefree, but he basically was gettin every perk easily. And access everywhere in Miami/South Beach.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wait, they hit the return to sender button on that nikka about the five million? Should have kept it quiet instead of flossing with teddy bears brehs.

I can see merits from all sides but I'll say this. I do like him investing in the children, maybe not for the reasons of doing it, so that they don't become leeches later in life. It's what it is though. Sometimes, family falls and if you are in a position to help, it's nice if you can. However, if you are continuing to give away money without tangible results, then yes, that is a big red flag. Someone in your family might have a great idea that requires a bit of capital that you can help with. That's a good thing if their business proposal is sound. Not 30 years down the road to ask for money on some stupid shyt.

Will and Jada Pinkett Smith Deny Giving Tyrese $5 Million

Will and Jada Pinkett Smith Deny Giving Tyrese $5 Million - XXL

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
It doesn't even take having money like that to feel the pain within family stuff. Just trying being the most successful member of your immediate family and you feel the pinch in little ways.

Mom and sister want to get together? Just assume its at your house and your buying everything, always.

Mom has no money and can't afford a cell phone? Just assume your paying for it for infinity now.

Sister got herself a flat tire and has no credit card or cash to pay to fix it? Just assume your gonna pay for it and never get paid back.

Brother can never afford to buy himself things like TV's ETC? Just assume you are giving him your old ones instead of selling them.

Even when your family isn't trying to leech off you, you can still feel that guilt and burden in regular life...can't imagine being rich.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
It’s because it’s draining as fukk to be responsible for other adults, especially for regular folks without Michael Irvin money.

Going through this situation with my mom right now.
Maaaaaan listen. I wish I can go back to the college days where we all had to get money together and make a beer run to buy no frill cans of beer....that just a white can and in black arial font said "BEER"....that's it. :mjlol:

It was a struggle...but nothing compared to getting money in your pocket and having to take care of fam. :to: Especially when we as a people don't come from old money to lean on. :to: I have to look out for my mom's future as well.