Michael Irvin says he was happiest playing football in college because he was broke

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Honestly if I was an athlete on a max contract I'd give 50 racks each to a handful of selected people and tell them never ask me for anything again.

that aint' gonna stop them b. That's why you don't start. Teach em how to fish and keep it moving.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
He lying his ass off, that is why he was crying when he got drafted and got that life changing money.
Only rich people say some bullshyt about I was happiest when I was broke, wondering where I was going to stay and my next meal was going to come from. SMH

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maaaaaan listen. I wish I can go back to the college days where we all had to get money together and make a beer run to buy no frill cans of beer....that just a white can and in black arial font said "BEER"....that's it. :mjlol:

It was a struggle...but nothing compared to getting money in your pocket and having to take care of fam. :to: Especially when we as a people don't come from old money to lean on. :to: I have to look out for my mom's future as well.

Yeah I definitely didnt expect to have to do this shyt this early in life. I figured it’d be when she was around 60 was when I would have to shoulder most of the load (she’s 46 and I’m 26).

Been at it for like the past 5 years and it’s slowly dawned on me that this shyt is forever.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It doesn't even take having money like that to feel the pain within family stuff. Just trying being the most successful member of your immediate family and you feel the pinch in little ways.

Mom and sister want to get together? Just assume its at your house and your buying everything, always.

Mom has no money and can't afford a cell phone? Just assume your paying for it for infinity now.

Sister got herself a flat tire and has no credit card or cash to pay to fix it? Just assume your gonna pay for it and never get paid back.

Brother can never afford to buy himself things like TV's ETC? Just assume you are giving him your old ones instead of selling them.

Even when your family isn't trying to leech off you, you can still feel that guilt and burden in regular life...can't imagine being rich.

Yeah man. Main reason I don't move back home either. Nothing is worse than being black and other cats thinking "you got it". That shyt can get old. And I'm not even a millionaire like Mike.

But college was carefree and shyt, so I definitely feel him on that. And he was an athlete in college, so it's not like he had hard classes and shyt especially even at a school like Miami with a high academic reputation.

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
Yeah man. Main reason I don't move back home either. Nothing is worse than being black and other cats thinking "you got it". That shyt can get old. And I'm not even a millionaire like Mike.

But college was carefree and shyt, so I definitely feel him on that. And he was an athlete in college, so it's not like he had hard classes and shyt especially even at a school like Miami with a high academic reputation.
No doubt. I feel it bad enough being white coming from a blue collar upbringing, can't imagine the black context, would feel like drowning I imagine.

Add in getting married and having in laws and wife who feels some tpe of way about your family and its like, let me get the F away from all of this central lol.

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It doesn't even take having money like that to feel the pain within family stuff. Just trying being the most successful member of your immediate family and you feel the pinch in little ways.

Mom and sister want to get together? Just assume its at your house and your buying everything, always.

Mom has no money and can't afford a cell phone? Just assume your paying for it for infinity now.

Sister got herself a flat tire and has no credit card or cash to pay to fix it? Just assume your gonna pay for it and never get paid back.

Brother can never afford to buy himself things like TV's ETC? Just assume you are giving him your old ones instead of selling them.

Even when your family isn't trying to leech off you, you can still feel that guilt and burden in regular life...can't imagine being rich.

This x 100

It makes you almost resentful but it's fukked up to say that.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
No doubt. I feel it bad enough being white coming from a blue collar upbringing, can't imagine the black context, would feel like drowning I imagine.

Add in getting married and having in laws and wife who feels some tpe of way about your family and its like, let me get the F away from all of this central lol.
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn.......

Mentch15

Banned
Daps
You don't get it :snoop:

You'll understand when you're in your 30's and never have time to see your friends because you're always working.

Enjoy your college years, trust me......I don't care what you do for a living afterwards (and I'm a DJ for a living) because you'll never have that level of carefree existence ever again.

No, I get it and I agree to an extent. But let's not act like it's all unicorns and rainbows right now. I already never have time to see my friends because they're in the same boat as me - always in college or always working. It's not like taking 5 classes while working 40 hours a week is a cakewalk

Believe me, I'd rather put all my efforts into making money. If I wasn't in college right now, I'd at least be a manager at my current job and making decent (if not great) money. Obviously college isn't holding me back if it's gonna set me up for a nice future, but I'm already paying a shyt ton for it and all the books that come with it. Only carefree part of it is the fact that it's easy as hell to make friends if you hang around the right groups of people

And honestly, between you and me, I'm completely ok with working as much as I possibly need to in order to make as much money as I can as long as I have a little bit of pot at the end of the day to toke on. That little ritual (go to work all day, come home, unwind and smoke) has always been my motivation to work my ass off because eventually, I'll get what I want if I maintain my work ethic, and smoking at the end of the day gives me something that makes all that hard work worth it. Just have to find a state to do it in because I currently stay in the Dallas area, and Texas railroads the goddamn shyt out of you for it just because they fukking can

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
No, I get it and I agree to an extent. But let's not act like it's all unicorns and rainbows right now. I already never have time to see my friends because they're in the same boat as me - always in college or always working. It's not like taking 5 classes while working 40 hours a week is a cakewalk

Believe me, I'd rather put all my efforts into making money. If I wasn't in college right now, I'd at least be a manager at my current job and making decent (if not great) money. Obviously college isn't holding me back if it's gonna set me up for a nice future, but I'm already paying a shyt ton for it and all the books that come with it. Only carefree part of it is the fact that it's easy as hell to make friends if you hang around the right groups of people

And honestly, between you and me, I'm completely ok with working as much as I possibly need to in order to make as much money as I can as long as I have a little bit of pot at the end of the day to toke on. That little ritual (go to work all day, come home, unwind and smoke) has always been my motivation to work my ass off because eventually, I'll get what I want if I maintain my work ethic, and smoking at the end of the day gives me something that makes all that hard work worth it. Just have to find a state to do it in because I currently stay in the Dallas area, and Texas railroads the goddamn shyt out of you for it just because they fukking can

Ahhh see, You're working 40 hours a week in college. That is a lot. Yeah in college I was a Dj so I was Djing all the parties on and off campus so I made good money while only having to focus on my studies as well as trying to get my music shyt popping. I also had a work study job for the first 2 years. Work study jobs are sweet in that you're really there just studying while answering an occasional phone call or greeting other students or whoever comes into the office.

I lived with my friends in the dorm the first 3 years and my off campus apartment my senior year. Just living with my friends created a bond you just can't build otherwise. Some of my friends played on the football team and were student athletes and we know how much time that takes.

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn.......

:heh: You feel it too huh??

My mother in law got sick and passed away at a pretty young age and F'd my wife all up, they were like best friends. My poor mom has had to live in her shadow for 9 years of can't do nothing right. My moms going on 69 and my dads not in the picture...got my mom cleaning peoples houses and shyt while I'm buying $100 bottles of scotch every 2 weeks. Wife is not heartless, but shes like bipolar about how she reacts to her on anything we gotta help with it. If I was RICH????? Man, I may have to move to a cave.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
You dudes are assuming that all college students are still leaching off of their parents and taking easy majors

There are college people who are taking majors that take up 40 hours of week of their time (if we combined studying and actually attending class), a job on the side and have to pay for their own rent, car, cell phone, utilities, books and food if they don’t have a meal plan. Some even have kids of their own

If you majored in basket weaving, had no responsibilities and could get drunk every weekend at the club because you had no job or extensive studying to do then that’s you but that’s not everyone’s reality
It's a majority of student's reality breh. Even if you are doing all those things (Extensive major, paying all your own bills, paying for your education, housing, have a job on the side), 'the real world' is much more difficult. Because as breh up there pointed out, it could all come falling apart with one bad week at the office :yeshrug:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
:mjlol:
Speak for yourself
The data says, I am speaking for Black folks. My pockets say, I should be the one saying speak for yourself but I have a conscious and I understand how the world works. Negros like you just talk shyt with no reasoning

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Just stop it bruh
Stupid nikka, look at the data, look at nikkas in this damn thread. Ain't no white person saying life was better broke? Have you heard that shyt from Richard Brunson? No. Because white people on average live in communities where no one they are around need you for their surivial you stupid fukk.