Might have to move to NYC for work

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
Got laid off during the holidays, might have to move to nyc for work this company willing to hire on the spot but the office is in queens.

Not too sure about this move told the hiring manager I’ll be in touch if I change my mind.

I also heard nyc got some crazy income taxes (gotta look into it myself) and I’m really dreading on living with randoms if I gotta start doing apt hunting :francis:

Have a few doubts any native NY posters want to chime in.

I grew up in Brooklyn, left for a job opportunity in Northern Minnesota in 2018, and never looked back.

Unless you got the bread to get your own 1 BR or a studio with enough space to be comfortable in, it ain't worth it, especially since you said you're dreading living with roommates.

Even if you make the sacrifice and go the roommates route, you'll probably never make enough to save to buy your own place out there, your cost of living will grow at a rate you're probably not expecting, you're just flushing money down the toilet in rent, and you have to ask yourself how much noise can you endure in one day. Seeing that you said you're dreading roommates, I'm assuming you appreciate more quiet settings.

If you have a car and enjoy driving, you might as well sell it now and come to terms with riding the Iron Horse and the bus, because NYC will make you detest owning a vehicle.

My advice is to find the best job/salary offer you can vs. the most affordable cost of living you're willing to endure and try to find the best compromise. Hating where you live is an easy way to ensure it being a quick stopover in your life's journey and NYC isn't built for every different job skill-set to properly succeed. Stay afloat? Sure. Get ahead? Nope. It's the town that's automatically defines "Rat Race" for everyone for a reason.

If you read this post and you like what you read, then go for it. I'm just here to give you some insight and kick it real, but ultimately do you and best of luck doing it.

Edited to add I just read something about living in a car at a campgrounds and communting to Queens. Breh don't take any clown-ass advice like that and if that's what NYCers are reduced to doing now thank God I left when I did :wow:

Last edited:

NeoSeeker

GOAT human
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
NYC is too damn expensive, but people saying $1500 will get you in section 8 are being ridiculous. You can probably find an ok place for &1500; you'd just have to dig deep.

My recommendation is to rent someplace dirt cheap for a year, saving up enough to purchase a studio somewhere.

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
Not enough for an apartment and food. OP gonna be about that car-home life.

But at least he'll be able to tell people: "If you can make it here (cough, cough), you can make it anywhere." with a mixture of :smugdraper: and :mjcry: as he heats his hands up over a barrel full of flaming cardboard under the bright lights of the city that never sleeps.

Unbothered

ELEVATING to HIGHER LEVELS with POSITIVE VIBES ✨
Daps
Reppin
'Cuse, New York
Native New Yorker...

Better make sure you get the job first or secure a guarantee you got a chance before you wind up with no place to lay your head 🤷🏾‍♀️ because being qualified alone doesn't guarantee employment these days.

You say you got money for a crib but you ain't gonna get that crib the first day you touchdown in the city, it takes time (a good week) to process applications and background checks, before you even get to the part where a security deposit is discussed.

Unless you got family willing to let you stay long enough to see if you get the job opportunity before they'd send you on your way 🤷🏾‍♀️.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Native New Yorker...

Better make sure you get the job first or secure a guarantee you got a chance before you wind up with no place to lay your head 🤷🏾‍♀️ because being qualified alone doesn't guarantee employment these days.

You say you got money for a crib but you ain't gonna get that crib the first day you touchdown in the city, it takes time (a good week) to process applications and background checks, before you even get to the part where a security deposit is discussed.

yea just from the minimum info he gave it sounds bogus. no contracts...no relocation package....and he claims he an EE? don't sound right to me; sound like he getting set up to get chewed up n spit out :francis:

on a more positive note I got a nice bottle of chianti for tonite :ohlawd:

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
yea just from the minimum info he gave it sounds bogus. no contracts...no relocation package....and he claims he an EE? don't sound right to me; sound like he getting set up to get chewed up n spit out :francis:
I talked to the hiring manager about the positions and declined until further notice. A compensation package wasn’t part of the initial discussion. I needed to know what type of work I’m doing first before money comes in. No sense in doing something like RF if I’m Power based and vice versa

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North

on a more positive note I got a nice bottle of chianti for tonite :ohlawd:

People really don't understand how much of a machine NYC is until they live it first-hand.

Unfortunately that machine happens to be a meat grinder
full

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I talked to the hiring manager about the positions and declined until further notice. A compensation package wasn’t part of the initial discussion. I needed to know what type of work I’m doing first before money comes in. No sense in doing something like RF if I’m Power based and vice versa

breh there are a lot of opportunities for you RN....especially where you're at in New England with the credentials you claim. hook up with some recruiters and get 2 it. you better off staying put and hitting something local. at least you'll have that sense of security and whatever stability you currently have. cause you don't sound like you can gamble RN.

Look for PM positions 2 you can get those easy.