Daps
studios where i'm at are $1,500+
1 bedrooms $2,200 at the very least

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
These dudes on the coasts LOST, they're paying out the ass every month to live in shytboxes. $1k/month to live in a closet? :camby:
Chicago really is the best bang for your buck big city, even if you're going to piss away money on rent, which is dumb in the first place.

yup. my mortgage is only $1600 and I have 4BR (not including one in the basement) in basically a new crib with a garage. and I am 5 minutes walking distance from the train and 1 minute drive from the closest expressway to get downtown if I want.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
What is a "fixed" mortgage per se? :jbhmm: is that where your payments never rise and stuff like that.
It's a fixed-rate interest mortgage. Your interest does not change through the life of the mortgage. This is great if interest increases, your rate doesn't go up.
If you have an ARM, adjustable rate mortgage, you can benefit when the interest rate is low or goes down, but you get boned if the interest rate is high. ARM is usually lower interest rate than a fixed-rate mortgage, but that's a gamble though. There's usually a cap (maximum interest rate), so your interest rate doesn't balloon to insanity mode. But the cap rate is always higher than a fixed rate mortgage interest rate.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
It's a fixed-rate interest mortgage. Your interest does not change through the life of the mortgage. This is great if interest increases, your rate doesn't go up.
If you have an ARM, adjustable rate mortgage, you can benefit when the interest rate is low or goes down, but you get boned if the interest rate is high. ARM is usually lower interest rate than a fixed-rate mortgage, but that's a gamble though. There's usually a cap (maximum interest rate), so your interest rate doesn't balloon to insanity mode. But the cap rate is always higher than a fixed rate mortgage interest rate.

And those with the ARM were the folks that got absolutely fukked with no vaseline during the recession

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

this is true for the most part. but even if the rate stays fixed, of your property taxes or insurance increase, then your mortgage payment can increase that way. for instance, we had a property tax increase this year, and I'm looking at about $20 a month more in payment.

And those with the ARM were the folks that got absolutely fukked with no vaseline during the recession

I have had an adjustable rate mortgage before, and they notify you when the rate is gonna change. I just refinanced it into a fixed rate loan. it was fairly simple to get done.