My rent just went up 8%....to $915 for a 1BR

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
this is true for the most part. but even if the rate stays fixed, of your property taxes or insurance increase, then your mortgage payment can increase that way. for instance, we had a property tax increase this year, and I'm looking at about $20 a month more in payment.
Well, what I described was fixed-rate mortgage and adjustable-rate mortage. The interest rate is what changes with an ARM.
I've had my monthly mortgage change because of changes in property assessment. So in my case, the value went up, so my property tax went up. I had a fixed-rate mortgage. This can happen but your interest rate on the principal stays the same whether your property tax goes up or down.

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
At this point i think its cheaper to build your own house. Houses are over priced and you end up working your entire life struggling to pay these things.
Unfortunately most areas you dont even have the option to build because of kand availability so the valuation is entirely a sticker price

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Might as well move to a more happening area with hipsters and shyt...at least you'll have more to do for that money...:manny:

:snoop: That's why I'm mad out here. I get along with damn near none of my coworkers. They have, lets just say, different interest :mjpls:, and the area is really whack. I tried to force myself to go out, and its just not working.

Yesterday

Banned
Daps
These dudes on the coasts LOST, they're paying out the ass every month to live in shytboxes. $1k/month to live in a closet? :camby:
Chicago really is the best bang for your buck big city, even if you're going to piss away money on rent, which is dumb in the first place.
Chicago expensive as shyt too. It has its spots far away from the center which can be affordable, but anywhere South of uptown is expensive.

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
yup. my mortgage is only $1600 and I have 4BR (not including one in the basement) in basically a new crib with a garage. and I am 5 minutes walking distance from the train and 1 minute drive from the closest expressway to get downtown if I want.
My condo was just over 300k, takes up most of my floor(top), is right next to the METRA to get downtown, garage parking, with more free street parking next to a huge park and a world renowned college, and I live down the street from Barack and Farrakhan. On a coast I'd pay that for a basic ass two bedroom, if I'm lucky. :heh:

Chicago expensive as shyt too. It has its spots far away from the center which can be affordable, but anywhere South of uptown is expensive.
Peep the home @beaniemac post above me, Chicago cheap as hell if you know how to do it right and you can enjoy it just like the people that live uptown. I live in Hyde Park and have a NICE place, but I could live in a 900sqft condo in the middle of downtown for ~300k. Where in manhattan can you live for 300k over 750sqft? Can you even find a residence in downtown manhattan for under 350k? :mjlol:

Yesterday

Banned
Daps
Peep the home @beaniemac post above me, Chicago cheap as hell if you know how to do it right and you can enjoy it just like the people that live uptown. I live in Hyde Park and have a NICE place, but I could live in a 900sqft condo in the middle of downtown for ~300k. Where in manhattan can you live for 300k over 750sqft? Can you even find a residence in downtown manhattan for under 350k? :mjlol:
When, in 2010??? I was on the hunt last year and anything downtown around 300k is a one bed 550 sq ft place away from transport. Even Hyde Park is shooting up in price and cheap areas like Humboldt, Logan and Pilsen are gentrifying.

I do think the Southside is going to start blowing up due to the tax increase though, I might cop a spot on mlk

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
My condo was just over 300k, takes up most of my floor(top), is right next to the METRA to get downtown, garage parking, with more free street parking next to a huge park and a world renowned college, and I live down the street from Barack and Farrakhan. On a coast I'd pay that for a basic ass two bedroom, if I'm lucky. :heh:

yeah, condos downtown are very affordable. the only thing that turns me off is the high cost of assessments. I have kids and dogs, so I don't wanna live in a condo as I want them to have a yard and be able to ride they bikes and what not. and I wanted to live somehwere where my family could easily come visit and have plenty of easy parking. There's a grammar school on the next block from me with a playground as well.

I live in chatham. my crib has over 3500 sq ft (1400 in the basement alone) and my block has all married families or older married folks. and no apartment buildings. when I moved here, an old lady across the street saw us moving in and sent us flowers. I knew I was home :blessed:

I found 3 schools within a mile radius for my kids that were between and 8/10 to 10/10 on greatschools.com that I was able to test my kids into so they can go there starting next year and I can stop paying private school tuition.

quiet as shyt over here, and my daughter has even left the front door wide open on accident coming home after we were sleep and nothing happened :whew:

I'm paying just under $1600 a month, and it's about to go about $20 higher cuz we just had a property tax increase.

I laugh at the folks living on the northside all cramped up with no parking paying a fortune for housing.