NBPA Will Seek Lower Age Limit

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I certainly hope they aren't making this their top issue when you have individual players salaries capped and steadily shrinking long term deals out there. Funny how there was no mention of football...the biggest sport in the country that forces guys to stay for 3 years. They need to stop with the race angle and comparison to sports with true minor league systems. nikkas fukked it up for themselves when everybody and their mama came straight from HS and the overwhelming majority weren't ready out the gate. Even with the one and done you don't see cats having the immediate impact that guys like Mike and Shaq and Bird and Magic and Wilt and Russell and pretty much every ATG born before 1975 had.

All that said it's amazing to me how the most obvious compromise hasn't been mentioned yet. Instead of having an age limit, you let nikkas in at 18 but you reward cats that wait. Just have a sliding scale that allows guys to either get paid more out the gate or get to FA faster based on how many years they wait. For example, an 18 year old fresh out of HS could get a 5 year deal worth $25 mil while a 22 year old could get a 5 year deal worth $50 mil or you can just have the 22 year old only need to play a year or two before reaching UFA while the 18 year old would have to go through RFA.
High school players wouldn't even survive a NFL training camp. That ain't the comparison to make.

Honestly, the D-League getting itself together is the biggest reason why this can actually work now. Guys can make a living, teams have their rights, proper development gets to take place.... its becoming a great alternative to college for guys who aren't quite set for D1 powerhouse programs.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Guys like MJ, Shaq, Bird, Magic, Wilt, Russell were anomalies just like guys who came straight out of HS like LeBron, KG, Kobe, T-Mac, Moses, etc. were anomalies

Check the respective rookie years of those anomalies breh. shyt isn't even close.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
High school players wouldn't even survive a NFL training camp. That ain't the comparison to make.

Honestly, the D-League getting itself together is the biggest reason why this can actually work now. Guys can make a living, teams have their rights, proper development gets to take place.... its becoming a great alternative to college for guys who aren't quite set for D1 powerhouse programs.

That comparison is no more flawed than comparisons to sports that have minor leagues or music were people that are more experienced aren't literally trying to stop you or business where you don't get millions fresh out of HS because you have the potential to create the next big thing, you actually have to create it first.

If the D league becomes a true minor league than I am all for it.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I certainly hope they aren't making this their top issue when you have individual players salaries capped and steadily shrinking long term deals out there. Funny how there was no mention of football...the biggest sport in the country that forces guys to stay for 3 years. They need to stop with the race angle and comparison to sports with true minor league systems. nikkas fukked it up for themselves when everybody and their mama came straight from HS and the overwhelming majority weren't ready out the gate. Even with the one and done you don't see cats having the immediate impact that guys like Mike and Shaq and Bird and Magic and Wilt and Russell and pretty much every ATG born before 1975 had.

All that said it's amazing to me how the most obvious compromise hasn't been mentioned yet. Instead of having an age limit, you let nikkas in at 18 but you reward cats that wait. Just have a sliding scale that allows guys to either get paid more out the gate or get to FA faster based on how many years they wait. For example, an 18 year old fresh out of HS could get a 5 year deal worth $25 mil while a 22 year old could get a 5 year deal worth $50 mil or you can just have the 22 year old only need to play a year or two before reaching UFA while the 18 year old would have to go through RFA.

That is not totally true. Even in the 90s the owners were complaining when dudes were coming out more and more after their soph and junior years. Then the contracts were longer and the owners were saying why should we pay this dude 90 mill contract over 8 years when he was only in college for 2 years.

Big dog came out and he wanted a 100 mill contract. After that the owners negotiated the rookie pay scale which sped up the college kids coming out because you could be a free agent faster instead of being like Jordan and playing on the same contract until you were in your 30s.

But even with the age thing the owners really dont care about the age. If they could sign these dudes straight out of high school for 10 mill over 10 years that would do it in a heart beat. The issue they have is if you come out at 18 or 19 years old you might get two or three max deals. The owners don't want to spend that much money. They rather a dude come out at at 22 or 23 from college and gets 1 maybe two max deals if that. That is why they like these foreign players too because they can get them cheap. Dude comes here at 27 that mothafukkas ain't never reaching a max deal. shyt like social security.....the government really don't want you to get it so they keep raising the age hoping some of these fools die off and never collect it.

It is always and I mean always about the money when it comes to these owners. Not the product cause these sports watered down. Not the health of the players cause they treat them all like rented mules and absolutely it ain't about the fans cause they could care less about then SIMPs.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps

This is the key thing to me. They need to develop the D-League and use it to really develop talent and act as a transition. I'd love to see them take away the age limit but make them play at least one year in the D-League while still paying them a lower amount. I absolutely loved Mark Cuban's ideas on it about forcing them to stay in the D-League for a year while also forcing them to take classes on things like finance and other areas to address pitfalls that hit the typical professional player.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
That is not totally true. Even in the 90s the owners were complaining when dudes were coming out more and more after their soph and junior years. Then the contracts were longer and the owners were saying why should we pay this dude 90 mill contract over 8 years when he was only in college for 2 years.

Big dog came out and he wanted a 100 mill contract. After that the owners negotiated the rookie pay scale which sped up the college kids coming out because you could be a free agent faster instead of being like Jordan and playing on the same contract until you were in your 30s.

But even with the age thing the owners really dont care about the age. If they could sign these dudes straight out of high school for 10 mill over 10 years that would do it in a heart beat. The issue they have is if you come out at 18 or 19 years old you might get two or three max deals. The owners don't want to spend that much money. They rather a dude come out at at 22 or 23 from college and maybe he gets two max deals if that. That is why they like these foreign players too because they can get them cheap. Dude comes here at 27 that mothafukkas ain't never reaching a max deal.

It is always and I mean always about the money when it comes to these owners. Not the product cause these sports watered down. Not the health of the players cause they treat them all like rented mules and absolutely it ain't about the fans cause they could care less about then SIMPs.
To piggy back off this I think a large part of it comes with when they actually come off their rookie contracts. At 22-23 the teams still haven't necessarily figured out what they have talent wise. So they are stuck paying for potential. Versus them raising the age limit to where by 24-25 most players are what they are and won't progress much further so it makes it less of a crap shoot.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The point is you're comparing them to HOF top 10 players... why not compare them to the Christian Laettners and Calbert Cheaneys and see how that comparison holds up.:sas2:

I'm comparing the best to the best. Compare Kobe, an HOF top 10 player, as a rookie to Mike or Magic or Bird and see how that comparison holds up.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People exaggerate so much when it comes to the one and done or players coming straight out of HS. Because a lot of them are drafted high people act like there's a mass exodus of players leaving early when it couldn't have been any further from the truth.

Over a 11 year span from 1995 to 2005 there were only 37 players who were drafted out of high school. Mind you 60 players get drafted per year. Do the math and see how little that number really is.

Or you can look at the one-and-done players now, there's over 300 Division I basketball programs. In the 2014 draft 9 D1 players left college after one year to enter the NBA draft. 8 in 2013, 9 in 2012, 8 in 2011, 10 in 2010.

Check the respective rookie years of those anomalies breh. shyt isn't even close.

Ok? It doesn't change the fact that those guys you named who spent multiple years in college and came to the NBA and were immediately stars are anomalies. Because they are. The overwhelming majority of players who get drafted spend 3-4 years in college.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

But even with the age thing the owners really dont care about the age. If they could sign these dudes straight out of high school for 10 mill over 10 years that would do it in a heart beat. The issue they have is if you come out at 18 or 19 years old you might get two or three max deals. The owners don't want to spend that much money. They rather a dude come out at at 22 or 23 from college and gets 1 maybe two max deals if that. That is why they like these foreign players too because they can get them cheap. Dude comes here at 27 that mothafukkas ain't never reaching a max deal. shyt like social security.....the government really don't want you to get it so they keep raising the age hoping some of these fools die off and never collect it.

It's big business so of course it's about the money for both sides. Both sides will always have something to complain about and look out for their own best interest. I am looking out for the fan best interest. Watching nikkas get baby sat and brought along slowly because they aren't ready doesn't benefit the fans, period. fukk I look like caring how much either side gets?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
That comparison is no more flawed than comparisons to sports that have minor leagues or music were people that are more experienced aren't literally trying to stop you or business where you don't get millions fresh out of HS because you have the potential to create the next big thing, you actually have to create it first.

If the D league becomes a true minor league than I am all for it.
Football compared to other sports is actually tied to physical maturity moreso than other sports. So how often is a player physically mature fresh off of HS training?

:childplease:

Football is an anomaly in this department.

Last edited:

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this why the quality of the game has decrease....players dont have no skills or bb IQ